forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 04 Oct 12 8:32pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Bread cheese and wine. Cheese wine and bread. Wine bread and cheese.

All starts with a good bread. Last sunday's pic-nic with mummza we had rye breads with walnuts/dark raisins/almonds.

We had lovely cheese which was enchanced by the bread we had chosen in the local market.

I have just bought two kilos of rye flour from an organic shop and will do my own.

Now i need a recipe and found this one as it doesn't include cup measures hmm

BBC food recipe.
Ingredients
175ml full-fat milk
175ml water
2 tbsp dark soft brown sugar
1 x 7g sachet of fast-action dried yeast
250g rye flour
200g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp fine sea salt
2 tsp caraway seeds (i'll add my chosen ingredients)
sunflower oil, for greasing

Preparation method
Put the milk, water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat very gently, stirring constantly, for just a few seconds until the liquid is lukewarm and the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl.
Stir in the yeast and leave for 10 minutes until there is a light froth floating on the surface.
Put all the flour, rye and white, in a large bowl, stir in the salt and caraway seeds, then make a well in the centre. Pour the warm yeast mixture on to the flour and mix with a wooden spoon and then your hands to form a soft, spongy dough.
Turn the dough out on to a well-floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic. Kneading this dough can be hard work so you’ll need to roll up your sleeves and give it some welly....  hmm  lol

Put the dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with oiled cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1½ hours or until it has doubled in size.
Put the dough on a floured work surface and knock it back with your knuckles, then knead for another minute.

Shape the dough into a fat oval or round loaf, pulling the dough from the top and sides and tucking it underneath to make a neat shape.
Place the loaf on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and score the surface 4 times with a sharp knife. Cover it loosely with the oiled cling film and leave to prove for a further 40–50 minutes until it has doubled in size once more.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Bake the loaf in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or until it is well risen and the base sounds hollow when tapped sharply. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Et voila   wink Easy whistle

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 04 Oct 12 11:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Bread cheese and wine. Cheese wine and bread. Wine bread and cheese.

That was a great picnic .
I will try to get a picture of the bread posted soon , but it's such a performance as I have to get it from iPhone to old computer  , resize till it gets accepted and I just find it a pain in the neck !!!!

The great was delicious , my darling makes rye bread . But a lighter rye bread than we had as he makes it in the bread maker . If its too dark the dough sticks and does not kneed well and we get a loaf of bread with. A texture like a brick !!!

British bread always includes some sort of fat .. He uses sunflower oil for this .
He uses water instead of milk as he finds it gives a softer texture to the bread .

He generally uses 2/3 white flour to 1/3 rye flour.
I am told that he does not think he adds sugar ( but I thought he did add a little )

He said he'd look up his recipe when he has time . He protects his bread maker from all who try to get near it , no one else is allowed to touch it at all , it's his treasure  ( I thought I was his treasure but know you all know ) lol

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 04 Oct 12 11:47pm

Kye

Forum super champ

mummz you are a treasure alone/to your own...which is the right context hmm

I saw that British breads included butter or oil, JO's recipe added neither.  thumbsup I only use olive oil when i make Ciabatta, delicious and it keeps for days.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 04 Oct 12 11:47pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

lol  lol

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 05 Oct 12 12:11am

Kye

Forum super champ

Grand_Ma wrote:

lol  lol

I need your bread recipes here mada  big_smile  there are so many recipes to share.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 05 Oct 12 12:28am

Kye

Forum super champ

Oops forgot the wine hmm a bottle of rosé medium dry, if i had known of mummz' idea for a pic-nic, otherwise a little Bourgogne aligoté...

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 05 Oct 12 2:22am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

What could be better than bread, cheese, wine and good company?  smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 05 Oct 12 11:15am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

mrgreen  mrgreen  mrgreen you make us all invidiosissimi up there

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 05 Oct 12 12:16pm

FlameRed

Forum champ
Occupation Finally, gloriously & happily re-married to my old flame....
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Thu 21 Sep 06

Bread, cheese, wine... cheese, wine, bread... wine, bread, cheese.... mmmmm  yummy   My OH and I were partaking of such yesterday, sitting outside enjoying the later afternoon sun...  cool  dribble

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 05 Oct 12 1:05pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Kye wrote:

I need your bread recipes here mada  big_smile  there are so many recipes to share.

+1
thumbsup

Likes (0)