forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 10 Oct 12 2:57am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Diabetes Advice

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes. It feels like my diet is going to be very boring now. Celery for starter, roast celery as main course, and celery pudding for dessert. All washed down with celery beer.

Any food advice, recipes or good news?
help  shocked  sad  shocked  help

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#2 Wed 10 Oct 12 2:20pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Diabetes Advice

It helps to make a list of foods that are zero or very low on the Glycemic Index scale, but most vegetables, meats and fish are fine.  Avoid potatoes and other starchy vegetables.  Salads with vinegar-based dressings (homemade as many bottled have too much sugar) are excellent for helping regulate blood sugar.  Try to have salad twice a day.  To make them appealing, add some nice grilled chicken or beef.

I made dishes like turkey chili, eggplant baked with tomato sauce and feta, Jamie's spring minestrone minus the noodles, salad topped with grilled chicken and shredded parmesan, pot roast, meatloaf (both the OH and my father love my meatloaf = the secret is to add a little parmesan to your egg/bread mix). etc. for my father who has Diabetes.  I also made a flourless, sugar-free chocolate cake with sugar-free whipped cream using yakon syrup.  The yakon syrup is expensive and you need a lot of it, but it worked great, especially in the whipped cream which was hard to tell from any other chantilly.

Take the time to prepare good foods so you feel less deprived.  I was cooking this same diet for sometimes 7 of us and everyone was happy and satisfied.  My father needed a wholegrain cracker or half an apple with peanut butter or cheese before bed to avoid  'crashing' overnight because he was taking insulin.  You should talk to medical professionals about the diet and your particular needs.  It helps tremendously and it will make you feel more confident about managing your blood sugar.

Good luck!

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 10 Oct 12 2:43pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 10 Oct 12 6:40pm

hguk

Member since Thu 12 Jul 12

For unsweetened food to taste better google miracle berries.
Very expensive to buy but can be grown in a greenhouse or conservatory. Biggest problem with growing is they need a very acidic soil p.h.4.5
We are growing them hydroponically and expect to be succesful,
as p.h. is easy to control without toxifying the soil, .we use no soil.
Worth looking at the american legislation on them, they were blocked from use by the sugar corporations amidst a lot of controversy.
We will be giving updates and pictures next year on the progress
of our own miracle berry bushes, check us out at www.hanginggardenuk.com.
hguk

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 10 Oct 12 7:48pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Hello Terry wave Its good to have you back here.

I am sorry that you have been diagnosed diabetic, here we have a saying 'over 50 and overweight' hmm i imagine that now you have a list of tablets to take eveyday.

Contrary as mentioned in the above thread there are no miracle berries, just a handful of dark fruits that are harmful to diabets. They are worth looking up on the net.

There are foods that you are allowed to eat, others not allowed at all and still others that are 'within reason' types...

In fact all you have to do is change your eating habits...no ice cream, very little fruit, no butter and s*d all starch lol  wink NO sugar!!!

I have a book somewhere, will be back. Take care.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 10 Oct 12 7:50pm

Kye

Forum super champ

TerryKay wrote:

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes. It feels like my diet is going to be very boring now. Celery for starter, roast celery as main course, and celery pudding for dessert. All washed down with celery beer.

Any food advice, recipes or good news?
help  shocked  sad  shocked  help

The good news is that you have been diagnosed thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 10 Oct 12 8:55pm

hguk

Member since Thu 12 Jul 12

I'm afraid I beg to differ from Kye.
On wikepedia they are described in some detail, including a history of the attempt to introduce them as a food 'additive'.
The Latin name is synsepalum dulcificum.
I admit I am ignorant on the possible effects on diabetetics, but they are just a fruit.
Interesting piece on them recently on Q.I. on t.v.  Check it out on youtube.
hguk

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 11 Oct 12 12:01am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Terry,
What a blow to have that diagnosis. Thank goodness they catch it earlier now and you have the opportunity to prevent further damage to yourself.

I went on a sugar free diet (simple sugars) because my chronic illness means I can do very little exercise and my body wasn't coping with the sugars. Not diabetes luckily, but I do understand what a big change and how you miss the sweet favourites.

I know with the low glycaemic things you can be a bit less strict, but you might find this info I dug up useful: http://background-joy.blogspot.com.au/s … of%20foods

There is still a world full of wonderful delicious things to make!

smile

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 11 Oct 12 11:33pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Terry you have certainly searched yourself on the net but as you are here and asking i found a few links to help...i understand that all will be strange at the beginning, the most important to do is make a list of all goods and bads. I know that fruits have sugar content that can cause harm for diabets, fiber rich fruits here noted are allowed;

'Fiber rich foods are generally safe for diabetics to eat because they tend to have a lower glycemic index (GI) and therefore do not spike blood sugar levels to the same extent as high GI foods. This is because fiber delays the emptying of stomach contents into the small intestine which slows down the absorption of sugar into the blood stream. Fiber rich fruits tend to be fruits with edible skins and seeds as it is these parts of the fruit that are highest in fiber. Fruits high in fiber include (fiber content in brackets): passion fruit (10.4%), raspberries (6.5%), apples (2.5%), pears (2.1%), apricots (2.1%), blueberries (2.7%), kiwifruit (2.1%), strawberries (2.0%), pomegranates (3.4%), and avocados (6.7%)'.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabeticdiet.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 12 Oct 12 1:14am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

MsPablo wrote:

It helps to make a list of foods that are zero or very low on the Glycemic Index scale, but most vegetables, meats and fish are fine.  Avoid potatoes and other starchy vegetables.  Salads with vinegar-based dressings (homemade as many bottled have too much sugar) are excellent for helping regulate blood sugar.  Try to have salad twice a day.  To make them appealing, add some nice grilled chicken or beef.

I made dishes like turkey chili, eggplant baked with tomato sauce and feta, Jamie's spring minestrone minus the noodles, salad topped with grilled chicken and shredded parmesan, pot roast, meatloaf (both the OH and my father love my meatloaf = the secret is to add a little parmesan to your egg/bread mix). etc. for my father who has Diabetes.  I also made a flourless, sugar-free chocolate cake with sugar-free whipped cream using yakon syrup.  The yakon syrup is expensive and you need a lot of it, but it worked great, especially in the whipped cream which was hard to tell from any other chantilly.

Take the time to prepare good foods so you feel less deprived.  I was cooking this same diet for sometimes 7 of us and everyone was happy and satisfied.  My father needed a wholegrain cracker or half an apple with peanut butter or cheese before bed to avoid  'crashing' overnight because he was taking insulin.  You should talk to medical professionals about the diet and your particular needs.  It helps tremendously and it will make you feel more confident about managing your blood sugar.

Good luck!

Salad twice a day?????
I might just eat a sugar cube and end it all now. Boo hoo!!
I'm eating more salad now but am beginning to build an irrational hatred of carrots. I have a huge stash of radishes, sliced mushrooms and baby tomatoes as fridge snacks and really enjoy those. Not a happy bunny though. Even things I thought were healthy are suddenly no go. Then I hear dates and peanut butter are OK. It's very cofusing and darn depressing right now but I'll get on top of it.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#10 Fri 12 Oct 12 1:18am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

hguk wrote:

For unsweetened food to taste better google miracle berries.
Very expensive to buy but can be grown in a greenhouse or conservatory. Biggest problem with growing is they need a very acidic soil p.h.4.5
We are growing them hydroponically and expect to be succesful,
as p.h. is easy to control without toxifying the soil, .we use no soil.
Worth looking at the american legislation on them, they were blocked from use by the sugar corporations amidst a lot of controversy.
We will be giving updates and pictures next year on the progress
of our own miracle berry bushes, check us out at www.hanginggardenuk.com.
hguk

I think I saw that on QI. They ate a lemon and said it tasted like the best orange ever. Gonna have to build me a poly tunnel.

Likes (0)