Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 20 Oct 12 1:20pm

Suresn

Member since Sat 20 Oct 12

Calorie planner

Hello,

I'm trying to do some research how a calorie planner works. When I say calorie planner I mean the automatic ones like this one:
www.webmd.com/diet/food-fitness-planner/default.htm

How can it determine based on my height, weight, gender and D.O.B. how many calories I need? Anyone know how to make the calculations? I wanna make one of these myself.

Thanks,
John

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 20 Oct 12 7:14pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: Calorie planner

John forget that stuff. A food intake plan that is mostly fresh uncooked veg and fruit will work.

Dump the word "diet".

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut … cts/3163/2

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 21 Oct 12 2:19pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

My guess is that this is an advertisement.  But if it's not, then I don't understand the question.  Any number of websites can easily give you your daily caloric needs based on your weight/height/age/gender.

You can find out what your basic metabolic rate (how many calories your body burns just by being breathing) is with this formula http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html  This is the lowest number of calories your body burns just by laying around all day long.  However, let's assume you walk to the kitchen, drive, climb stairs, pick up the remote, all those things burn extra calories.  Losing weight is a numbers game, burn more calories than you consume.  There's no diet plan that does not take that into account.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 21 Oct 12 6:52pm

Suresn

Member since Sat 20 Oct 12

Hey guys,

Well, I'm not overweight or so it's not really for me I'm asking. However, I find food and stuff interesting so I thought creating a calorie planner myself, a free one for my website but I'm not sure how it's working so my idea was to ask here and see if anyone had any clue at all.

Thanks for the link koukouvagia, very helpful!

John

Likes (0)