#21 Fri 05 Oct 12 10:34pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Re: Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals

Mmmmh...

to me, the book is not about cooking the dishes in 15 minutes straight, it´s a way to make people see that it doesn´t take hours to prepare a meal when you´re organised and have a good recipy, in most cases you´re quicker cooking than you could order at a takeaway and have it delivered!

With some routine I am sure many of the dishes can be done in ABOUT 15 minutes. Five or even ten minutes more is still quite quick! And it´s homemade, with good products. I hope it does make many of the curious people realise how rewarding and satisfying it is to cook your own meal, and how much better it can taste than ready-made meals out of plastic containers. It could of course put people off when they are looking at the timeline too strictly and rush themselves.

Maybe it would be a good idea to let people know that if they´re too unsure about their cooking skills, they should take their time and do a bit more mise en place, and if so, what exactly? Not anyone is quick in chopping, weighing things and keeping an eye on different pots, the oven and who-knows-what.

All in all I still believe it will bring some people to cook more often, maybe use the recipes to bring up own ideas in the long run, which is what I do a lot. When I don´t have any ideas what to cook I am sitting down with a pile of cook books and let inspiration wash over me whilst looking through them, so to speak.

So far, the reactions I have seen are very mixed, but mostly positive about the taste of the meals tried, so that´s a good start.

Last edited by maddimouse (Fri 05 Oct 12 10:36pm)

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 14 Oct 12 12:44am

TattyTeddy1969

From Australia
Member since Sat 13 Oct 12

I am buying the book tomorrow, it will be one of  my Christmas presents  big_smile

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 20 Oct 12 12:50pm

slanier

Occupation president/CEO
From Carrollton
Member since Tue 25 Sep 12

Same here! can't wait to try this 15 minutes meals, this is what I want having a quick meals in an instant..

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 20 Oct 12 4:12pm

Songuk

Member since Sat 20 Oct 12

Got the book and tried a couple - can't wait for the series to start in the UK on week days smile big_smile

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 21 Oct 12 2:47pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Not long now! 12 days left until I´ve got it!

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 22 Oct 12 2:05am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Looking forward to seeing this  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 29 Oct 12 3:09am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Yesterday I made that lamb meatballs with salad and the crispy duck, I didn't get either of them into the 15 minutes but not far off.  They where both delicious and full of flavour can't wait to try out a few others!! yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 06 Nov 12 7:43pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Some of the recipes that I've seen look very good indeed, especially once I've tweaked them to suit our allergies!  Will be trying the fish stew, and maybe even the asian-style beef salad ...  looking forward to the rest of the series!

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 07 Nov 12 6:55pm

luckiest1

Member since Fri 19 Jun 09

I've made the fish stew already (got one of those recipe cards that were in the newspaper in the UK from a friend) and I've managed to watch the first 10 episodes.  There are so many different and interesting ideas, I want to try them all!  The fish stew was good and didn't take me long to make.

http://cookingjamie.blogspot.ca/2012/10/october.html

Likes (0)

#30 Sat 17 Nov 12 12:14pm

cook e monster

From North West UK
Member since Sat 17 Nov 12

Tried a few of the recipe's now, all tasted good.
Would recommend the Chilli Con Carne meatballs.
Already stated it doesnt have to take 15 mins to complete, think the idea is that the food can be prepared quickly and easily if you want too, or take your time, depends on your lifestyle.

Likes (0)