forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 15 Oct 12 4:15am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09
    Likes (0)

#22 Mon 15 Oct 12 10:22am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: Diabetes Advice

There is hope if you have the will power.

http://vimeo.com/27278058

http://vimeo.com/27610549

Carrots are great shredded with crushed garlic, fresh ginger, fresh lime and orange juice. Some fresh chili as well and maybe some shredded apple. Cover and let it sit at room temp for a bit.  dribble

I have more inspiration for you if you like.

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 20 Oct 12 5:55am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Pakman wrote:

There is hope if you have the will power.

http://vimeo.com/27278058

http://vimeo.com/27610549

Carrots are great shredded with crushed garlic, fresh ginger, fresh lime and orange juice. Some fresh chili as well and maybe some shredded apple. Cover and let it sit at room temp for a bit.  dribble

I have more inspiration for you if you like.

Cheers for the links there. I've gone from being the most caveman of anti-vegetable carnivores to eating a ton of veg now but some of the raw diet stuff is a branch too far. Some looks cool. Saw some nice raw ideas on youtube too.
Cheers mate. clap  big_smile

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 23 Oct 12 4:32am

Myidaho Natural

Member since Mon 22 Oct 12

If you like your meat; make sure you only by grass fed beef (grain supplemented is ok) but, the meat has to contain reasonable Omega 3's content and iron - obtained from the grass. try to avoid 'marbling' go for a leaner meat maybe even veal. The marbling is just fat; fat is fat no matter what anyone says and if the animal is lot-fed the problem is they often use corn starch and other fatteners and sweeteners which permeate thru the fat. as for beef (I'm a beef farmer -paddock to plate - in Australia) I have a number of clients in your position. I cross Angus with Charolais which gives a very lean flavorsome meat. Pure Charolais is best and as that is a french breed (the white cattle) try to find a french style butchery in London. Just try to avoid supermarket meats; I find most traditional butchers will try to source the meat for you; at least that is my experience. Good luck with it - if I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to post me here.

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 23 Oct 12 2:57pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia

You may find this one interesting/inspiring as well.
http://vimeo.com/39631864

This guy is a little "anti" establishment to say the least but has some interesting thoughts if you can bear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIUeYWRFN8

This girl was sick all the time and had all kinds of troubles but now she's fine.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RawfullyOrg … ture=watch

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 24 Oct 12 1:02am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

TerryKay wrote:

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes. It feels like my diet is going to be very boring now. Celery for starter, roast celery as main course, and celery pudding for dessert. All washed down with celery beer.

Any food advice, recipes or good news?
help  shocked  sad  shocked  help

Your diet need not be boring.  You DO, however, need to be careful with the carbs (I have a relative with diabetes). 

Alcohol might not be on the menu for you (or in moderation). 
Remember to check your blood sugar.
Be careful with oranges--you'll get a BIG blood-sugar spike, but it DOES come back down.

Fruits and veggies are your friends.  Have the starchy foods(breads, potatoes, etc) in moderation; same for your fats.

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 24 Oct 12 9:58am

Myidaho Natural

Member since Mon 22 Oct 12

As mentioned above by starch foods can be tricky; breads and pasta's for example.

I see you're in the USA so, not sure if you can get Spelt Bread and Pasta or even better   Kamut breads and pasta's. These are are ancient flour's making a big come back; they don't carry the high starch genetics of modern flour. Very good if you have the slightest hint of celiac disease which often goes hand in hand with diabetes.

Most health food shops are starting to stock the breads and flour out here in Australia; so I imagine as more farmers grow the crop strains it'll become cheaper and easy to find.

Basically processed foods won't do you any favours; same with high fat meat.

Cheers Charles

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 24 Oct 12 3:42pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Japan, has all the answers.

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 26 Oct 12 7:49am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

So much sound advice. I'm quite touched folks.
My weight is down, I'm feeling fitter, my eyesight is focusing as close as a foot away now (was a strain at 1.5 metres before), blood sugar, is down from 25+ to around 6-7. Still not inspired by food unless its kick a** spicy, but I'm sneaking all kinds of good healthy food (even veg) under my radar in my chilli and stews. I still have one beer per day (My hobby and passion) but drink a bit of the bottle in the beer review, a bit later with dinner and a bit in front of the TV for chilling. Spread out and with my meds it's not spiking my sugars. Got a handy GI & GL listings book that I take shopping with me.
Things are looking up.
Just need to get a bit more inspiration with good recipes. I'm surprised Jamie doesn't do a diabetic food series. There are more people with diabetes than you'd imagine. Yeah we are in the unfortunate position of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but nobody is doing good diabetic cooking.
Come on Jamie.

Last edited by TerryKay (Fri 26 Oct 12 7:51am)

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 26 Oct 12 9:37am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia

This is really interesting. A doctor's lecture from 1993. It's really worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCGkprG … re=related

Do you have high BP as well? I did and BS was 6.5 - 7.5. Doctor didn't want to call me diabetic being just a little over so we watched it. When she put me on some more BP meds that's when I started to say that the bad food has to go. I didn't want to take mads for the rest of my life. I also am entertaining the idea of seeing my son's wedding and maybe some grand kids. Being almost fifty and with a 4 year old the math it's like 25 years for a wedding 30 years for grand kids.

Anyway, I did a water/juice cleanse for about a week then added smoothies, salads, fruits and nuts. It made it much easier to deal with making the right choices in the store. Now I eat a little salmon/fish and chicken every once in awhile. But no processed grain products, no rice, might taste a potato here and there and same with cheese.....cheeeeesssseeee  dribble.

I have to say that shopping is so easy! Most of the time is spent in the produce section and check outline. There is the walk down the center isle looking down each lane saying "hmmm......don't need that crap...or that....nope..." then on to the frozen food for some peas and berries. Anyway, you get the idea.

My "diet" (hate that word actually) is fruit smoothies for breakfast (with chia, Flax and hemp seed powder), fruit/nut/ snack. Cold veg soup (some might call it a green smoothie), salad, fruit snack. Dinner is where I add the warm food sometimes.
Notice though that there is no "pill" breaks  wink . Doc says what ever your doing keep it up.

Likes (0)