forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 23 Oct 12 8:55pm

ReikiK8

Occupation Homemaker, Reiki Master
From Tucson, Arizona
Member since Tue 23 Oct 12

Irresponsible restaurant shock

We recently moved back to the US after 12 years in Europe and the UK.  Had to stay in a hotel in Tucson and eat out while we house hunted. What shockingly large, even obscene portions we were served. Breakfast at the Village Inn - my plate would have served three people. I joked with the waitress that I should have asked for the children's portion. She replied that they don't have one! When I asked her if she would really serve that to a child, she said she had, and had seen them eat it all.  And they wonder why there is an obesity epidemic, childhood diabetes and heart disease.  I am disgusted, I guess Tucson or all of Arizona is crazy, we got another shock when we learned that it is legal to drive and talk on a cell phone here.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 24 Oct 12 12:58am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

Re: Irresponsible restaurant shock

If it's not LARGE portions, it's SMALL portions.  I've seen restaurant programs on TV where the portions were very small. 

With the large portions, at least there is the option of taking half of the meal home. 

Not all states allow cellphone use while driving.  My home state (CA) does not allow this, unless you have a hands-free device (a Bluetooth).  However, some people DO talk on the phone while driving.   mad

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 24 Oct 12 1:14am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

It is most certainly not legal to talk on the phone while driving!

Yes it's obscene but this is America where the bigger is better.  NY just passed a law to ban establishments from serving 36oz drinks and people were protesting in the streets.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 26 Oct 12 1:06am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

koukouvagia wrote:

It is most certainly not legal to talk on the phone while driving!

Yes, it's obscene, but this is America where the bigger is better.  NY just passed a law to ban establishments from serving 36 oz drinks and people were protesting in the streets.

DC wants to do the same thing.  There are lawsuits against the NYC law.

Talking on the phone while driving in my home state gets you a moving violation (meaning points on the driving record).

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 26 Oct 12 1:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes portion sizes are bigger in America ... But ... I found most places happy to pack up what could not be managed as a takeout at no charge. In fact we found that many restaurants offered this without being asked .

At the end of the day , dispite the large portion sizes the person in control is the one that orders the food and if there is too much on the plate , dont eat it , have it boxed up or simply leave it .
Nobody makes people clear their plates of food.

I wish more British restaurants would box up foods for you , some simply refuse .

Likes (1)

#6 Fri 26 Oct 12 3:53am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Some do here, too, Mummza. Comes under "Health and Hygiene".

As someone who cooks for a living, my insurance company and my solicitor say that once the food is paid for and leaves my premises, it is the buyer's responsibility.

This may vary from place tp place.

Yes, couldn't believe portion sizes in the US but as Mummza said, no one is forcing you to clean/ clear the plate.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 26 Oct 12 10:07am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

.... I found most places happy to pack up what could not be managed as a takeout at no charge.

My wife's parents were over here from Phayao a few years ago. We ate lunch in a restaurant at the base of Phnom Rung (a local Khmer temple). My wife would not allow her mother to ask for a doggy bag for the rice. That was all that was left and there was very little of it!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 26 Oct 12 12:41pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

I wish more British restaurants would box up foods for you , some simply refuse .

Why would they refuse to let you take the food that you paid for?

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 26 Oct 12 1:23pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

koukouvagia wrote:

mummza wrote:

Why would they refuse to let you take the food that you paid for?

No idea but it sometimes happens

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 27 Oct 12 2:16am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

They worry that you wouldn't store it properly, then get food poisoning, and then blame the restaurant.

Luckily my favourite restaurant doesn't think like that! smile

Likes (0)