#431 Fri 26 Oct 12 9:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

welcome to the frum Karenjj smile

I am not Jamie , but I have a Magimix food processor, I can recomend that ne they have a very strong motor (and a long garantee ) they are well worth saving up for.

Likes (0)

#432 Fri 26 Oct 12 9:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Charlieb1 wrote:

Have recently started substituting white flour with brown wholemeal. So I am using more and more wholemeal recipes.  However, I have noticed the following -
some recipes do not stipulate whether you should use plain or self raising - what should be used.  b) some recipes use half wholemeal and half plain white - why can the recipe not be all wholemeal and should it be assumed that it is plain wholemeal?
Lastly when following a recipe using white flour can it be substituted like for like with wholemeal
Thanks   question

welcome to the forum Charlieb1 smile

I have found that substituting plain flour for all  wholemeal flour results in a heavier bake, what the white flour does is  allow the texture of what you are baking to be lighter.
If I use wholemeal flour I generally mix a bit of whte flour in with it.
I do not usually use all wholemeal.

Likes (0)

#433 Fri 26 Oct 12 10:05pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

the white flour creates a better, more flexible texture, more elastic because it has more protein. wholemeal has lots of fiber so if you use all wholemeal the bread crumbles. I usually take some wholemeal, some white and some soy flour. the last buns were so tasty I ate them all with cloudberry jam in one go.

Likes (0)

#434 Sat 27 Oct 12 7:24pm

Pucksmom

Occupation Independant Beauty Consultant
From New Westminster, BC, Canada
Member since Sat 27 Oct 12

I love garlic but it makes me sick.  Is there an alternative that can give the same flavour but not cause digestive problems?

Likes (0)

#435 Sat 27 Oct 12 11:49pm

Anarim

Member since Mon 29 Jan 07

Hi,
I tryed to make the tiramisu recipe i saw on you tube ( the one Jamie is in veneza with Genaro), but after melting the chocolate and throw it on top of biscuits, after a while,  my chocolate got hard and not soft as it should be, so everytime i want to eat a little bit of tiramisu, i had to break the chocolate!!i would like to know why, can it be because of the type of chocolate used?I used a 70% chocolate, so i dont understand, because i melt it like Jamie said to do.
Thanks.
Ana.

Likes (0)

#436 Sun 28 Oct 12 12:31am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I'd also recommend saving up for a Magimix. I've used them for 35 years both in my family cooking and in my business.

The motors are strong. The warranty period is better than others I've used.

I'm on my third now (in 35 years). The first one, 35 years old/young, is still going well. I gifted it to my mother-in- law because I wanted a bigger bowl. The second one, I gifted to my daughter for the same reason. It is still going perfectly.

When I married I bought a less expensive brand from the department store. Didn't really know what I was needing or wanting. It lasted two months. The motor blew. It wasn't strong enough.

Do yourself a favour. Save up and buy a Magimix. If my original is still going after 35 years, it's a better investment than the department store offering that lasted two months.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#437 Sun 28 Oct 12 10:54am

Thryth

Member since Sun 28 Oct 12

Hiya,

I don't know if Jamie still answers but let's see and maybe get some other opinions along the way...

I have a 2.4kg Haunch of venison currently topped with a nice piece of pork belly fat (with some meat) bringing the whole thing to well over 3kg.

At first I intended to quickly roast it, leaving it at most medium rare however now I'm thinking that this won't do the belly pork any favours and I also notice some fierce debate on the matter of haunch with many people saying that it should be slow cooked...

I have had a smaller haunch before that I quickly roast and it was lovely, tender and moist but I am a little daunted by the bigger joint especially with the belly atop.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks

=T=

Likes (0)

#438 Sun 28 Oct 12 3:24pm

hypnobliss

Hi Jamie
I have a medical condition which means I cannot eat anything with salt, sugar or acid (e.g. lemon). If I do, it aggravate my 'cluster' headaches which means in excruciating pain up to 4 days at a time.

Of course this has meant I have had to drastically change my diet. I have tried alternative such as low salt and sea salt as well as a substitute for normal salt and 'agave' honey  and sweeteners from plant nectar. Unfortunately these still aggravate my headaches.

I am a big fan of your 15mins recipes and was wondering if you are able to suggest any recipes that enable me to get flavours in my food without the use of salt or sugar.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Hypnobliss

Likes (0)

#439 Sun 28 Oct 12 3:55pm

jamie12

hi jamie i know fish and chips is a regular meal but i really want to know how to make it a 5 star meal could i put any herbs on it? its one of my favourite meals and i want to make it even  dribble better. smile

Likes (0)

#440 Mon 29 Oct 12 11:57am

Pappy K

Member since Mon 29 Oct 12

Hello Jamie

I have just recently built a wood fired oven in my back yard and have been told that this is the place to learn how to get the most out of it.  Is there a section that deals with this, or, have you put out a book that deals with this.

Likes (0)