forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 25 Oct 12 1:55pm

caca2306

Member since Fri 19 Oct 12

We all need to eat ...

Hi

Recently I have encountered many people who have very little income but still need to eat!

I want some recipes/discounts/offers/vouchers to tell people about where they can still get/eat/prepare a nutritional meal without using extortionate amounts of money.

PLEASE can you make some suggestions.

If I get enough for a publication, I will publish and distribute to those in need if I can - with profits to an appropriate charity - you can suggest one, if you wish.

I hope you will help.

Rebecca

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 26 Oct 12 12:03am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: We all need to eat ...

Hi Rebecca, what a great idea! I used to work in an information centre that had that sort of information. Maybe if you ring your local council they can let you know what info is already around, and you can build on that?

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 26 Oct 12 10:19pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Grains:
buckwheat, mixed with simple vegetables, one of my favorites instead of risotto
rice
millet - very filling and protein-rich

Veggies:
homemade pickled vegetables / kimchi
cabbage, carrots, turnip stew with onions and apples, sweet and sour. Fresh veggies from a farmers´ market dont cost much

Eggs:
Omelets, frittatas (with leftovers as well)
use boiled eggs in salads and wherever you can. also, now the recent studies say people should eat more eggs cause the B vitamin is the easiest to absorb from eggs. and good fats. one or two a day. eggs cost little, but are very nutritious and essential.

sourmilk, yoghurt
people should acquire yoghurt culture and make yoghurt at home which is easy and saves money. and has no conservants. at least in Estonia sourmilk is very cheap, but keeps your body working normally. thats part of a good diet.

fish:
buy spine and head of a trout or salmon and make a huge pot of soup. the spine actually contains lots of good oils. some people who dont find it gross also eat the inside of spine (sportsmen for example!!!) soup is filling, fluid food is always good at least once a day.

bread:
a slice of rye bread is more filling than 450 g of white bread, so you eat less, get less carbs but more minerals.

choosing fresh and nutritious, healtrhy products is actually healthier than eating loads of low-nutritious crap like simple macaroni. cause you need less.

whole grains of great variety and vegetables is the key to low budget but healthy and filling. and soups.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 27 Oct 12 1:24am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Red what or where do you buy your fresh produce?
help

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 27 Oct 12 6:57am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

there is a food store chain too, called Prisma, where veggies are quite cheap; other than that - local market. In Estonia it is very easy to get organic food. we live in a small country, we have backword food buses coming from the country and you can pre-prder stuff. then we have a lot of seasonal events, markets, onion and fish festivals. organic and cheap produce is very easy to get here. and there is a Green Market which sells cabbage, salads (iin summer), and many grains and flours.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 27 Oct 12 8:52am

caca2306

Excellent suggestions so far - thank you.

Any recipe suggestions?

Rebecca big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 27 Oct 12 7:37pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

one very simple recipe I like is taking a cabbage, some onions, garlic, chilli and just making a pan-fry of it, add some ginger & lime juice, a tsp of brown sugar and a pinch of salt. cabbage with garlic is really tasty.I guess the kg price of garlic is quite high in shops but I grow my own.

things that can be grown on a window: chilli, dill, cress, onion, paprika, small tomato plants.

how to get cheap greens during winter: freeze spinach during summer, grow your own peas and freeze them; buy cauliflower from farmers´ market, wash and clean, frighten with hot water, chill, cut into buds and put in a bag for freezing. that way you can get organic cauliflower in winter that you know where it came from and has not pesticides. also, make mung bean, wheat, rye, luzern and other sprouts to put in salads. half a handful of seeds gets you a whole box of salad (400 ml) but you need a sprouting vessel (with layers)... wheat and rye are cheap dont kno if you can buy them there as full grains.

start your morning with porridge which keeps you full and gives you B vitamins and fibre. make cut wheat porridge and put cheese in it.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 29 Oct 12 7:43am

caca2306

Hi Redfox!

Your ideas are fabulous but I think a lot of people will be very frightened of growing their own produce. I do (but not always successfully!)

PLEASE explain what the "sprouting vessel" is!

And I agree, porridge is the best breakfast ever!

Rebecca x big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 29 Oct 12 6:04pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

http://www.hortes.ee/est/seemned-sibula … greenhouse

this is a layered vessel to make sprouts from mung beans and stuff.

Likes (0)