Subscribe to forums RSS

#21311 Wed 31 Oct 12 12:43am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Whats For Supper?

I made them! It was the first time. So yummy! I made pork to go in them. For the pork I used chopped onions, poblano peppers and celery. Sauteed that with the pork in a small amount of oil.  Then I added water, tomato sauce, a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, cumin, fresh and powdered garlic.  I simmered it until the pork could be pulled apart with a fork. I cut the arepas in half (like a hamburger bun), put in some of the pork, fresh sliced onions, radish, shredded cheese and sour cream. I pour a large spoon full of the tomato sauce on top of the arepas. It was so good. I put a pic on my Pinterest.

Here is the link on how to make the arepas:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle … index.html

and to my Pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/pin/376824693791008341/

Likes (0)

#21312 Wed 31 Oct 12 12:45am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Luvmegrub wrote:

What is Arepas Coco?

Last night I tried a new recipe, chicken breast marinaded in garlic/ginger/soy sauce/hoi sin sauce/rice wine vinegar/Chinese five spice powder then baked in the oven for 25 mins.  It was really nice so now I have to cook it again tonight because eldest daughter was out for dinner and doesn't like to miss out on new "keeper" recipes lol   Toasted sesame seeds and sliced spring onions to garnish and I served it with plain steamed rice and Joy's spicy cabbage.  Tonight I will make a big pan of fridge scraps fried rice to serve with it.

Does anybody else eat the same food twice in a row?  I really don't mind doing that.

That sounds yummy! I sometimes cook large batches of food so I can have it for a few days lunch at work.  I've been known to eat the same meal 2 or 3 meals in a row...including breakfast!  I love roast beef po'boys for breakfast (don't tell my mother).

Also, if I am trying to get a recipe right I will cook it 3 or 4 times a week until it taste like I want.....hence a few years ago I got tired of eating Lobster....I made Lobster Bisque 4 nights in a row... wink

Last edited by cohphanta (Wed 31 Oct 12 12:46am)

Likes (0)

#21313 Wed 31 Oct 12 8:55am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I've got some chicken breast out of the freezer, and might make a tray bake.  I like the idea of just using one tray, rather than lots of pots.

I also cook larger batches of food Coco, but it so that my OH can take it to work.  They're not too good at catering to his gluten free diet (he's had weeks where it's been basically the same thing every day), so he prefers to take it with him.

Likes (0)

#21314 Wed 31 Oct 12 9:40am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Pork chops with onion, sage and apple topping, served with sauteed leeks and butternut squash puree.

Likes (0)

#21315 Wed 31 Oct 12 1:36pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Glad you're OK, Coco. Hope the Pabs and others are OK.

Meal sounds yum, Grub. How was the w/e?

When I'm not working Sunday/kids not up, I try to make at least two meals to get ahead for the week ahead.

Yes, often eat same meal two nights in a row but try to rotate.

Tonight, quinoa and chickpea fritters with h/m baba ganoush and a garden salad for dinner tonight.

Grapes and walnuts for dessert.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#21316 Thu 01 Nov 12 12:13am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I think tonight will have to be pasta with pesto.  That's as far as my imagination is taking me today.

Weekend was great thanks Maree.  Weather was lovely, bit cooler than previous years but that was ok.  Went to Scarborough winery on Sunday, wow, things have changed since we first started going to the Hunter Valley.  We were shown to a table and given a cheese & fruit platter and a printed order list - hard sell or what!  Anyway, I'm not swayed by marketing ploys but I did order a sticky as it was the only one I liked and was reasonably priced.  I'm so cheeky that I asked for a free glass with my order, told them I was from near Scarborough in England blah blah and they gave me one.  I like the size of them and it had Scarborough Winery etched on it.

Likes (0)

#21317 Thu 01 Nov 12 8:11am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Either beef and red pepper stew or venison and red wine stew depending on what the butcher has.  Either way, there'll be cabbage and mash to go with it, and a plum torte for pudding.  Yes, we have visitors tonight  big_smile

Likes (0)

#21318 Thu 01 Nov 12 9:00am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Tonight is "Poulty-themed" from another thread on Leftovers.

Hot (32+C)  and humid day so I'm being totally unimaginative and using the grill pan to cook a chicken breast with a citrus marinade, a garden salad and some avocado and tomato salsa.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#21319 Thu 01 Nov 12 4:57pm

accidentalcook

Member since Thu 03 May 12

I'm making my favourite salmon and couscous parcels! Easy, quick and really yummy!

http://adventuresofanaccidentalcook.blo … paper.html

Likes (0)

#21320 Thu 01 Nov 12 7:38pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

pizza smile

Likes (0)