Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#471 Thu 08 Nov 12 2:43pm

JBA43

Member since Wed 07 Nov 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Ok thanks smile
So I will try when the dish calls for it as a garnish to use the others, but when it asks for it as a ingredient I found out that shes not allergic to powder coriander so i will try them that way.   clap

Likes (0)

#472 Fri 09 Nov 12 8:10pm

finlaybob

Member since Fri 09 Nov 12

hi jamie  my message isent about cooking sorry but i carnt find were to ask you this ,my question is i am a trucker about 30 years of age and for as long as i have known i have had a love for cooking and am thinking of leaving my job and trying to follow it up what would you sugest and how could i go about it manny thanks nick.

Likes (0)

#473 Fri 09 Nov 12 9:28pm

donkeybell

Member since Fri 09 Nov 12

Hi,
Not really a cooking question. But was wondering if you still get the oppertunity to cook at Fifteen. My daughter(8yrs) really wants to visit and eat at Fifteen because she has seen you on tv and wants to see you cook.smile

Thanks for taking the time.smile

Maryanne (from the Netherlands)

Last edited by donkeybell (Fri 09 Nov 12 9:28pm)

Likes (0)

#474 Sat 10 Nov 12 2:54pm

Bobby13

Member since Tue 06 Nov 12

Bobby13 wrote:

Why am I unable to retrieve your 15 minute recipe for Sticky Kicky Chicken
& Chilli Con Carne Meatballs.

Best Regards
Bobby

Likes (0)

#475 Sat 10 Nov 12 3:56pm

hema3033

Member since Sat 10 Nov 12

Not a question but I don't know where else to post this(?)
I have just bought 15 Minute Meals. I NEVER ordinarily buy cookery books. Last one purchased was about 30 years ago! I can cook Gujerati food but this is not practical for me and have been battling for years to put nutritious, tasty food on the table on a daily basis - this book is an answer to my lifelong prayers. Why did I buy 15MM - well, are you sitting comfortably?....
As to whether I can achieve the meal in 15 minutes or not - I don't give a monkeys. I like to cook slowly whilst sipping wine so I won't even attempt to do it in 15 minutes. What I have got though is:
1)Simple yet exquisite meals that you have made wholly do-able - no intimidating elements whatsoever. This means I can feel totally in control in my own kitchen - how liberating is that!
2) A way in to using ingredients that I am curious about but would ordinarily be far too scared to purchase
3) It is indeed a complete meal, so once cooked, I don't then have the challenge of "what should I serve it with" - you have done that for me - thank you.
4) I count my calories on a daily basis as a lifestyle choice. You've worked out the calories for me - thank you.
5) Cram packed with basic tips that are gems like using 2 spoons to stir.

In general I think this book is revolutionary. I have to use up stuff that I have in my fridge and freezer before I can make a start on it but I believe this will be my food bible.

This cannot be an accident, I believe you must have taken a lot of trouble to get into the mindset of a regular person, who does not cook for a living and used this as your starting point.
You are revolutionary -  genius, creative, funny!

I am a gujarati, when I see white chefs making raitu and then they say put it together at the last minute - I am always screaming at the telly "squeeze the juice out the cucumber - it keeps for ages. Well, you are the first white chef I see doing just that clap

A Gift Tip from me to you!
You don't need to peel ginger - I never have. I mince up loads of it - peel 'n all and freeze it.

Thank You Sir Jamie!!!
X

Likes (0)

#476 Sat 10 Nov 12 4:32pm

hema3033

Oh yeah! I do have a question:
Please could you consider making a CD of 15MM for the likes of me to purchase.
At the moment the 15MM book is very much alive because I will have just watched you doing it on tele. I would love to be able to refresh this aliveness years down the line.
Picture the scene on a typical day next year. I am putting together a menu and shopping list for the coming week. Mmmm! Think I will cook the Moroccan Bream dinner. With the food ordered on line, I put the CD on and go straight to Moroccan Bream and watch it to inspire and empower me ready for the week ahead! Mint!

Likes (0)

#477 Sat 10 Nov 12 11:09pm

alisonoliver

Just cooked 15 min Chilli Con carne meatballs - they are AMAZING!!!  Don't normally do the cooking in our house, but managed to pull these off in exactly 15 minutes!!  Thanks so much Jamie.  Maybe there is a cook in me yet. Hoping to get the book for Xmas!!
smile

Likes (0)

#478 Sat 10 Nov 12 11:36pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Bobby13 wrote:

Bobby13 wrote:

Why am I unable to retrieve your 15 minute recipe for Sticky Kicky Chicken
& Chilli Con Carne Meatballs.

Best Regards
Bobby

Seems that you have to download the recipes, the link is here:
http://scrapbook.channel4.com/programme … episode-10

Likes (0)

#479 Mon 12 Nov 12 6:20pm

minimilk82

Member since Mon 12 Nov 12

Hi, has anyone tried Jamie's piccalillii recipe yet?  I have the book and the menu says to soak the veg in salt water for 1 to 2 hours.  Every other recipes says to soak overnight so just wanted to check if it's ok to soak the beg in brine for this shorter time and what the results are! Looking forward to making it, but as the batch will be used as Christmas gifts, want to make sure I get it right!

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#480 Tue 13 Nov 12 12:51am

robynlyndon1

Member since Sun 24 Jun 12

I watched your TV show In Australia for 15 minutes meals and you did a burger and a coleslaw through the food processor - I made it but my coleslaw tasted great but was too wet - I know you did a 1/4 cabbage, 2 carrots, half a red onion and 1 pear - was this done on the thin slicer or how did you do it in the food processor - I have a magi mix food processor and I did it on the grater and it was too wet unless you put the cabbage through the slicer and then change to the greater for the carrot not sure but I will cut the pear by hand as it made my coleslaw too wet so it probably depends what pear you use here in Australia but the taste was sensational but I need to have it dryer.

Thanks again for all your help!!

My mayonnaise worked out in the end as I found you can not use olive oil to make mayonnaise you need to use other oils that are not strong in taste and yes I was successful at long last and I just used my blender and it was very thick and creamy.  I use canola oil but I noticed some people use grape seed oil and Bran oil and other ones that do not have that strong taste unless there is an olive oil that does not taste strong but the ones I get over here that are extra virgin olive oil and are made in Italy are very strong in taste.
Have a great day!!!

Cheers
Robyn yikes  big_smile  clap  help

Likes (0)