Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 12 Nov 12 6:43pm

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

The Art of Good Health and Well Being

Hello forum members,

I am thrilled to let you all know that I will be speaking at a conference in WA soon about San Patrignano. This is a great opportunity to spread the message about this wonderful place and it is also an opportunity to meet and collaborate with other people who know that food and creativity is a great way to bring people together. My friend Margret Meagher who is running the conference has emailed me below with the basis for the conference. I will also be speaking about the role that Social Media and the web plays in bringing people together. Please take a look at the conference and also the message below - I would love to feedback to the attendees at the conference your thoughts and also how you all feel being a part of the community here on Jamie's website?

Look forward to hearing from you?

Cheers from Danny

http://www.artsandhealth.org/conference … -2012.html

Loneliness is the great unspoken public health issue.
Research suggests it is more harmful to health than obesity and as harmful as alcohol and tobacco.
There is a 50% reduction in mortality if people have a strong social network.

In 1985, the average American had 3 people to whom they could confide matters important to them.
In 2004, the number had dropped to 2 and one in four had no close confidants.

That's scary .. but the arts and food are two spaces, connected by having creativity as an integral part of the process, that provide a non intimidating environment for people to come together, create and share. All the senses are excited. Significant physical, social  and mental health impacts can ensue.

I am also interested in the less obvious cases of loneliness and social exclusion - in retirement villages, new housing developments, aged care facilities, schools - people surrounded by other people but the connection is lacking or there is bullying / neglect / indifference / negligence / people being simply selfish

But with a social media campaign I realise we need to push the positive .. how creative activities can nurture connected supportive communities. And I love the intergenerational connections which are being made to link people and share skills and experiences.

And can be so simple. I came up with this idea .. low cost, strong community interest and practical outcomes to improve the environment of the aged care unit, including many with dementia.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 Nov 12 11:21pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: The Art of Good Health and Well Being

I spent a little time trying to remember where I read something related to good health and good human relations and finally thought it had to do with Greece and it was on facebook, where the JO's forumers convinced me to go

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magaz … 1&_r=1

good human relations is part of being on this JO comunity, speaking of food yes, but above all of respect for the way it's produced, cooked and eaten. Cooking is taking care of those who'll eat what you are working on.
I was so proud of scrolling down and see you are one of the relatori at this conferenza Danny, and of course of spreading around what is done in Italy
thumbsup  big_smile  clap

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 Nov 12 11:27pm

Danny

From Jamie's Office

Thank you Mada - feel so proud to be speaking about San Patrignano. We now have 3 wonderful young people working at Fifteen who were residents at San Patrignano. They are just brilliant young people who have all faced their challenges in life but come out on being triumphant. Interested to hear from the forum members about their thoughts on being a part of this forum and also the points that Margret speaks about.

Cheers

Danny

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Nov 12 11:40pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

You'll let us know how it goes, but I'm sure it'll be a very interesting and inspiring gathering
ciao Mada

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 13 Nov 12 11:42am

Danny

From Jamie's Office

Great article Mada - I just finished reading an interesting book as well that supports the theory that your health can significantly improve by making yourself busy and having a purpose in life. The book is called The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers

The concept of being busy and having a purpose reminds me of the life of a resident at San Patrignano. Often when people visit San Patrignano for the first time they think that it is like one big holiday resort, kind of like Disneyland. In truth the young people there work very hard - 6 days a week and long hours as well. They are constantly engaged and stimulated with work, creativity and of course incredible food. They also work hard  in preparing food and serving it to each other. This purpose and constant engagement is a major part of the healing process.

Here is a video that we made on San Patrignano - I hope that after watching it you will see why I am so dedicated to the community and why it has made such a life long impression on me...

https://vimeo.com/24461617

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 13 Nov 12 3:54pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

they are fortunate to have met you because I think everyone brings along with himself the good and beauty that he sees reflected around ..... like in maths there is a funcion that multiplies numbers ..... you write them small up there near a number and it becomes bigger as many times as the little number says ........... we can multiply good things and recognize them among so many around, good and bad ones, only if someone has sown a seed of the same kind in our childhood ....... tell a big grazie to your mamma or dad or whoever it was, Danny when you see her
them, you made this beautiful film in S. Patrignano because you are one of those little numbers which magnify and make good things shine
big_smile  thumbsup
thanks for spreading around such a generous slice of Italy, and in these "foggy" days it's really a job for miners

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Tue 13 Nov 12 5:22pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 13 Nov 12 6:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Danny, great film and thank you for sharing it!  Good luck with your project!

It certainly has given me a boost to get supportive comments and encouragement from people on the forum.  I've enjoyed meeting people from all over the world and learning, sharing interests and making some friends.  I've really enjoyed the times when people appreciated my help or support and when they took the time to help me and were happy for my successes.

People tend to use this space for many reasons, not just to discuss food.  Food is a common ground that gives us a reason to come together and then sometimes, people open up and really start to get to know one another.

Our culture considers emotional needs to be a sign of weakness.  Loneliness and isolation aren't considered serious problems.

Everyone wants to feel needed and appreciated.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 13 Nov 12 6:40pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 13 Nov 12 11:49pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Ditto MsP.

Having less time recent months i still though visit here and check questions, comments. I have learned very much here, more than i would have done elsewhere i am sure. I hope my learning is equally balanced with any help i have offered.

Met some really great people too, i have now a few close friends and others that i appreciate immensely..

MsP, Loneliness and isolation are now considered as a serious problem. Survey recently states that the lonely and isolated die earlier/younger.

I havn't viewed your film yet Danny, but i wiil do  smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 14 Nov 12 12:19am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Danny wrote:

Hello forum members

I am also interested in the less obvious cases of loneliness and social exclusion - in retirement villages, new housing developments, aged care facilities, schools - people surrounded by other people but the connection is lacking or there is bullying / neglect / indifference / negligence / people being simply selfish

Social exclusion is our every day life, we work with the mentally and physically handicapped.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 14 Nov 12 1:04am

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Oh Danny, That video was so inspiring.  You do wonderful work.  Thank you!

Likes (0)