Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Nov 12 2:34pm

WebbFoot

Member since Thu 19 Apr 12

Easy fruit salad

My office is having a baby shower after work. I've been assigned to make a fruit salad of some sort. Yipes. I've made a fruit bowl before but never a salad. Any suggestions? The easiest but still yummy will be most appreciated. I'll have to make it night before. Also, fruit is pretty expensive this time of year, so affordable trumps all. Thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 13 Nov 12 8:26pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Easy fruit salad

By fruit salad do you mean a dessert-type of salad??  Or a savoury salad that has fruit in it?  It's a bit confusing but I think you mean a salad for dessert.

Try making a fruit salad using mainly season fruits like apples, pears, grapes, pommegranates, and oranges which are fairly inexpensive.  They'll make up the bulk and then you can scatter a few luxury fruits like berries and pineapple if they're around just for color.  Add a handful of fresh mint.  You can make the salad the night before and squeeze in the juice of one lemon and toss, this will keep the fruits from turning brown.  Make a separate container with a dressing.... I like take a half cup of your favorite liquer and dissolve a bit of sugar into it and some cinnamon.  This gives it a very appropriate autumnal taste. 

And don't put bananas in your fruit salad, the smell permeates all the other fruits.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 13 Nov 12 8:26pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 13 Nov 12 10:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I don't like bananas in fruit salad either .

My suggestio for bulking up the fruit salad would be to do so with some good flavoured melon of extra grapes.
Fruit salad is an easy thing to make , it just requires a load of chopping and preperation. I often add a fresh ( or occasionally tropicaa ) orange juice as the juice that is in the fruit salad.
a little soft brown sugar also adds to the flavour and syrupyness.

Does it have to be fruit salad that you make or will another fruit desert work instead ?
If it does not have to be fruit salad this is one of the easiest fruit deserts that you can make !

Get a nice glass bowl and tip into it a couple of those bags of frozen forest fruits or one forset fruits and one frozen raspberries. level the frozen fruits out. Sprinkle librally with caster sugar.
Get double/heavy cream and creame frasie , equal quantities of each . Whip them together untill soft peaks. then simply tip this otop of the frozen fruits.
make sure the top looks neat and then put a thin layer of demerara sugar over the cream.
Put it in the fridge and leave it over night.
This is when the magic happens... the frozen fruits melt and the sugar that had been sprinkled on the frozen fruits allows the juices to start to form and mingle.
The demerara sugar on the top liquifies and coats all the top of the cream in a syrup that then depending on time etc starts to crystalise a little.
Its such an easy desert to make and tastes really good.
It can be put tgether in moments but loks like it has taken a while to make.
All in all its a good very simple desert to make. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 13 Nov 12 11:58pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Fruit salads work best fresh as so many fruits spoil once they are cut. But you can work around it!
I wonder what season it is where you are?

I would do something like chop up melons and mangos and seedless grapes and cover them with a lovely lemony syrup. That could keep in the fridge. And then right before serving add a punnet of raspberries. Mix and serve. The raspberries would add colour and freshness and a contrasting flavour and texture.

You could also bring along some toasted walnuts or flaked almonds to sprinkle on just before serving.

If you are using Autumn fruits, remember that pears and apples discolour quickly, so get that lemon syrup all over them. If you add oranges cut out the sections so there is no membrane.

A fruit salad with just a couple of fruits can be wonderfully elegant: eg, poached pears and berries. Bring the poached pears, sprinkle over the berries. Voila!

Good luck!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 14 Nov 12 12:00am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Mummza I love that dessert with the brown sugar on top! But I make it with thick yoghurt mixed with a little cream! It is so yum and special smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 17 Nov 12 11:56am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I also think fruit salad is best fresh. Topped with fresh mint or basil, a drizzle of honey and a splash of lime juice.

Since it's winter maybe this will work but it would help to know what else is being served before committing.

"These should be made a day in advance."
http://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/poa … -wine.aspx

Served with a ginger whipped cream or yogurt sauce. whistle

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 Nov 12 3:35pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

What about a compote? That can fancy up a lot of things which are cheap or won't otherwise keep (like cut apples), and is great for autumn/winter fruit.

Make a syrup with honey or sugar, spices and maybe some booze, then chop up fruit and poach it in batches in the pan of syrup, getting each batch out with a slotted spoon when done and putting it in a bowl. Don't cook each batch for long, just until it starts to soften. When it's all done, pour the syrup over, cool and chill. (You do it in batches so you don't end up with far more syrup than you need).

Great fruits for this are apples (dessert apples, not Bramleys, as Bramleys will break up too much - Cox or Braeburn have great flavour, Granny Smith is not unlike Bramley but will stay firmer; other apples will be less exciting but still good), pears (go for slightly unripe), plums, apricots - anything really. Throw in a few frozen raspberries, they keep their flavour when frozen and you don't need many to lift the whole thing and give it a lovely colour.

I actually do this as a way of extending the life of fruit I find on sale (it keeps up to a week in the fridge), but it would be a great winter substitute for fruit salad, and no need to pack a separate dressing. You can just whip it out of the fridge and serve chilled, with cream or yoghurt and honey, or warm it up and serve with cream or custard.

Hope this helps, I don't know if it's too late.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 Nov 12 3:36pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Just to add that might sound boring, cooked fruit, like you might as well open a tin - but a home-made compote of fruit that's just lightly poached is amazing. A million times better than tinned. And it won't wilt like a fresh fruit salad will.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 20 Nov 12 1:56pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

hippytea wrote:

Just to add that might sound boring, cooked fruit, like you might as well open a tin - but a home-made compote of fruit that's just lightly poached is amazing. A million times better than tinned. And it won't wilt like a fresh fruit salad will.

That's a great idea, I think I'll try that.  Also a great topping for this would be a mascarpone whipped cream smile

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 21 Nov 12 6:58pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Ohh, helooooo Mascarpone. A great topping for anything. In fact, forget the anything, just give me a big bowl of Mascarpone and a spoon...

Likes (0)