#21 Thu 15 Nov 12 8:17am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: Take 4 good sized potatoes ......

minerva wrote:

If you like fish..........try mashing a smoked mackeral fillet in, with a knob of butter & add a tsp or so of hot horseradish.

We don't see any smoked mackerel this far north. However, in our local supermarket, there is a 10 metre long, 4 shelf high stack of tinned fish in every sauce you could possibly imagine. The only product that surpasses this is the omnipresent Thai fish sauce.

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 15 Nov 12 8:33am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired

koukouvagia wrote:

Try salted cod (bakalao).  Desalt for 24hrs of course.  Sweat some leeks with olive oil or butter, no salt.  Then place the desalted cod on top of the leeks and cover.  Let it steam until it is cooked all the way through.  Flake and mix with the leeks.  The sweet leeks, salty fish and potatoes is a combination made in heaven.

Surprisingly enough, cod has recently appeared on our shelves here from China, however, the price frozen is Bht 350.00/kg ( USD 12.00) which increases by around 60% when defrosted. The alternative is Dory which sells at around Bht 170.00/kg frozen but does not lose as much weight when defrosted. Excuse me if I'm rambling.

I've never seen a leak here either unfortunately.

Not that it's relevant but asparagus is very cheap here.

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 15 Nov 12 1:12pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

beerforyorky wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

Try salted cod (bakalao).  Desalt for 24hrs of course.  Sweat some leeks with olive oil or butter, no salt.  Then place the desalted cod on top of the leeks and cover.  Let it steam until it is cooked all the way through.  Flake and mix with the leeks.  The sweet leeks, salty fish and potatoes is a combination made in heaven.

Surprisingly enough, cod has recently appeared on our shelves here from China, however, the price frozen is Bht 350.00/kg ( USD 12.00) which increases by around 60% when defrosted. The alternative is Dory which sells at around Bht 170.00/kg frozen but does not lose as much weight when defrosted. Excuse me if I'm rambling.

I've never seen a leak here either unfortunately.

Not that it's relevant but asparagus is very cheap here.

Cheers

Y

I've never heard of frozen salt cod.  Cod that is frozen is fresh cod, cod that is salted does not need any refrigeration at all.  Is there no access to bacalao where you are?

It's too bad about the leeks, they are an amazing ingredient, kind of like a very large but sweet scallion.  If I couldn't find leeks I would use shallots instead.

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 17 Nov 12 1:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Frozen saltcod is  salt cod that has been rehydrated and then frozen , saving time on the rehydration process.

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 17 Nov 12 4:31pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

mummza wrote:

Frozen saltcod is  salt cod that has been rehydrated and then frozen , saving time on the rehydration process.

Is it then cooked.... and the dehydrated again?  Talk about processed food lol!

Likes (0)

#26 Sat 17 Nov 12 5:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We used this shortcut frozen salted cod in Portugal when cooking with friends at their home.  It's really a nice option and no, it doesn't have to be re-dehydrated before freezing.  While fish tends to suffer from being frozen, the salted cod doesn't seem to be any different once cooked from frozen, IMO, so I think this is a marvelous shortcut for the home cook.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 17 Nov 12 5:12pm)

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 19 Nov 12 2:22pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Take 4 good-size floury potatoes. Scrub, rub with oil and salt, prick with a fork and bake at 200C for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, brown some minced beef in a saucepan, then put it on a plate. Fry diced onion, celery and carrot in the pan until soft. Return beef to the pan, add a little flour then beef stock. Simmer until beef is cooked through and tender (time depends on quality of mince).

Check potatoes are cooked through; if so, cut in half lengthwise, scoop out middles and mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper.

Half-fill each potato skin with mince and top with mash. Put under grill until top is browned. Mini cottage pies!

You could do this with fish and white sauce too, and make a fish pie. Or use lamb mince for shepherd's pie.

I have never done this, I just made it up just now. I am startled by my own genius.  big_smile

Last edited by hippytea (Mon 19 Nov 12 2:24pm)

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 20 Nov 12 1:58pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

hippytea wrote:

Take 4 good-size floury potatoes. Scrub, rub with oil and salt, prick with a fork and bake at 200C for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, brown some minced beef in a saucepan, then put it on a plate. Fry diced onion, celery and carrot in the pan until soft. Return beef to the pan, add a little flour then beef stock. Simmer until beef is cooked through and tender (time depends on quality of mince).

Check potatoes are cooked through; if so, cut in half lengthwise, scoop out middles and mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper.

Half-fill each potato skin with mince and top with mash. Put under grill until top is browned. Mini cottage pies!

You could do this with fish and white sauce too, and make a fish pie. Or use lamb mince for shepherd's pie.

I have never done this, I just made it up just now. I am startled by my own genius.  big_smile

Wow, I'm startled by your own genius too - that's the 2nd recipe of yours I've written down in 2 minutes.  Actually I was just thinking of what to do with my left over chili and this works great.

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 21 Nov 12 1:23pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Why, thank you, koukouvagia. My head is swelling nicely.

I have another one:

Take four good-sized potatoes, cut in largish chunks. Chop onions or leeks and fry in butter in a saucepan until soft. Add potato chunks an fry a bit, then add a little hot water. Cook, covered, until the water has evaporated, then add more. Stir to stop it burning. Continue until potatoes are cooked. Season well with salt and pepper (white pepper is traditional but black will do).

That's your basic Stoved Potatoes, very traditional Scottish dish. Add mince, cooked meat, any leftovers, and cook with the potatoes and it becomes Stovies.  Serve with oatcakes.

My favourite is to use the leeks or spring onions (syboes), use the whites to start cooking and add the chopped green bits near the end. I serve this with smoked fish, especially salmon, mackerel or trout. Lovely. Very nutritious as you don't leach out the nutrients and throw them away.

Edit to add that the last lot of hot water should be cooked down uuntil the potatoes are covered in a sort of goo of onion, butter and starch. It's lovely. Just occurs to me now that this cooking method is a bit like rissotto. So risotto is really stovies made with rice. Interesting.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 21 Nov 12 1:25pm)

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 22 Nov 12 8:41am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired

koukouvagia wrote:

I've never heard of frozen salt cod.  Cod that is frozen is fresh cod......

It is fresh (frozen) cod. Salted cod is not available here as far as I know.

Likes (0)