Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Nov 12 3:57am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

15 minute meals preserved lemons question

I was watching 15 min meals and jaime was using these small whole salted/preserved lemon from a jar he said was available in the supermarket.

The only preserved lemons I have ever seen are the traditional cut ones I make myself or the home made ones have bought at the Lebanese grocer.

Does anybody have a clue as to what brand Jamie is using or a link to those he uses si I have some sort of idea what to look for?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 13 Nov 12 8:18am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Re: 15 minute meals preserved lemons question

I think that you can totally substitute the small ones for regular ones in the dish... If there is any difference I don't think it will effect the dish in a big way.

Every year I always make two jars of salted lemons, some that are huge that I only use the outside and some very small that I use whole. Doesn't make much difference though...

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 13 Nov 12 8:44am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think that it would be far better to use the preserved whole lemons.
Preserved whole lemons taste quite different to those lemon slices that you buy in small jars .

They are not always easy to buy here I the UK , some supermarkets will stock them but definatly not all .
But they are extreemly easy and quite quick to make.

I was watching a tv show yesterday with Yottam Ottolenghi , he was talking about preserved lemons as they are used a great deal in Mortocan cuisine .
In the show we were shown a market stall that had rows and rows of jars of preserved lemons , ranging in colour from the paler yellowey colour that were the younger more recently preserved lemons , to the deeper brown preserved lemons which had been preserved for a rather longer time.

They are simple to make but you do need to use unwaxed lemons.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 13 Nov 12 12:02pm

Trilobite

From London, UK
Member since Mon 27 Jun 11

He uses the Belazu brand. But what's wrong with your Lebanese grocer?

There's a middle eastern grocer near me, and it's great for all the Morroccan stuff he tends to use quite often in 15 minute meals - pitta, harissa, nuts etc.

Cheaper than the supermarket, too.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 14 Nov 12 12:43am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Trilobite, my lebanese grocer is quite a distance from me and I don't get there very often. They are also very cheap and when I get there I stock up. If you had read my post I did say I make my own preserved lemons, and have been for years.

Thankyou for giving me the brand and I will now be able to hunt them down and find them online or have to try and make a trip to the lebanese grocer.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 14 Nov 12 4:28pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Cindy, good to see you wave

I do my own preserved lemons, too, and have done so for years.

The tiny whole lemons are impossible to buy here.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying.

Have found that a quarter to a half of a whole of mine (or same for bought ones available here) works well and I'm a preserved lemon addict.

Have never seen sliced preserved lemons here. Just the quartered ones. Our lemons must be bigger than the ones in the UK.

Unwaxed lemons are almost impossible to buy here unless from the farmers' market or if you grow your own, which I do.

A gentle scrub with a brush and warm water soon gets rid of the wax though.

Last edited by Maree (Wed 14 Nov 12 4:38pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Wed 21 Nov 12 4:24pm

WheelieKidz Mum

Member since Wed 21 Nov 12

Salted lemons - have found them on Sainsburys online shop.

What I need to know is how salty are they?

I have a heart condition which means I am on a low salt diet - never add salt to food & am trying to do more cooking from scratch to avoid the salt in usual prepacked meals.

Thank you
big_smile

Likes (0)