forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#501 Tue 20 Nov 12 4:07am

JustJoUSA

Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thanks to all of you - that makes a lot more sense now - many thanks!!!

Likes (0)

#502 Tue 20 Nov 12 10:25am

Flipchart

Member since Tue 20 Nov 12

Dear Jami O and team,

I have a question to the chili recipe in your book Jamies Cooking School.
You do not roast the minced meat, why? You just cook it for an hour. Most or all the chilis I know, the meat has to be roasted until it is crumbly.

Thanks

smile

Likes (0)

#503 Wed 21 Nov 12 6:00pm

Flipchart

Any Ideas  question
I want to cook it friday and dont want to make a mistake help

Likes (0)

#504 Thu 22 Nov 12 10:42am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Surely there are all different recipes for chili? Lots of them don't even use minced meat, they used chopped or diced meat.

When you say "roasted" do you mean fried in a pan, or in the oven?

Likes (0)

#505 Thu 22 Nov 12 11:53am

Flipchart

Dear Hippytea,

thank you for your response.
Yes, I know, there are a lot of receipes also with chopped meat, but the receipe from jamie and the ones I made before, were made with minced meat. Normally I fry it in a pan until it is crumbly.
The receipe from Jamie is not made in the oven, just 1 hour cooking in the pan. First you roast the vegetables and then put tomatos, chickpeas and spice in it an then comes the minced meat and then cook it for an hour. I can not imagine, that this is right. Sorry for bad english, Im from Germany.

Likes (0)

#506 Thu 22 Nov 12 1:46pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

He's probably just skipping the frying stage to speed up the recipe and save washing up. I've seen other recipes where he does that (like the stews in Ministry of Food). If you want to fry the mince, fry it, it should improve the flavour. I can't see how it would do any harm.

I hope that helps you out. Jamie himself does occasionally appear, but he's a bit of an endangered species on the forum - after all, he's a very busy man!

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 22 Nov 12 1:47pm)

Likes (0)

#507 Thu 22 Nov 12 3:08pm

Flipchart

Thank you very much for your help thumbsup
I think I will fry the meat.
On the right side of the recipe is an illustration, where you can see all the steps and there you can see, that he puts the meat very late in, after frying the vegetables and after he puts in the chopped tomatos. And because of this, I am very sure, that he does not frying the minced meat.

Maybe, if Jamie is around here, he can say something to this. Its is not important to do this before the weekend, I just wanted to know the reason someday.  smile

Likes (0)

#508 Fri 23 Nov 12 2:13am

MartinNicoll1

Member since Thu 22 Nov 12

Hi Jamie,
Nice work on the 15 minute meals series, sure does stick 2 fingers up at those critics who moaned and groaned about your 20 min meals series.
The missus and I are after a new food processor, are you able to tell me which one's you are using in the new series, I don't think they are Magimix?

Likes (0)

#509 Fri 23 Nov 12 11:59am

jubjalufi

Member since Fri 23 Nov 12

Hello Jamie,

on holidays in Italy we had a very very good main course:
It was braised lamb with a sauce of chestnuthoney und pink pepper kernels. It was really great! But they did n`t served a side order.

Now I want to cook this wunderful meal at Christmas, but I haven`t any idea what I shall give as side order / garnish. Something with sweet chestnuts and poatatoes or hokkaido (pumpkin)? I would be really glad about getting an idea from You.

Thank`s a lot!
Bettina

Sorry about my English. I am from Germany and my last English lesson is more than 30 years ago.

Last edited by jubjalufi (Sat 24 Nov 12 2:52pm)

Likes (0)

#510 Fri 23 Nov 12 1:35pm

a_oltar

Member since Fri 23 Nov 12

Hi Jamie,

I am a big fan of yours! Love the passion you have for food and I try to apply the same in my kitchen.

I went to Billingsgate market recently and got a whole fresh tuna. I've been looking for a recipe on the internet ans struggling to find something appropriate.

I want to preserve the size and wholesomeness of fish and not cut it into steaks. Could you give me some ideas on how to marinade it and cook it (bake/grill/fry).  help

Thanks very much sir!  big_smile

Likes (0)