forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 24 Nov 12 12:11am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Party Chicken

So we're feeding friends tomorrow, and I found a chicken half price. It was in good nick, by my reckoning, but the date was close and I didn't want to take chances, so I roasted it right away.

So now I have a whole roast chicken in the fridge, and I'm aware this is the culinary equivalent of the Little Black Dress. Any ideas to accessorise it so it's ready for a party?

Just to be clear, this isn't a Dinner Party shocked , it's a bunch of friends I'd happily serve spag bol and frozen garlic bread to, coming round to play board games and eat chips & dip. But if we can have something thrilling and awe-inspiring for dinner, so much the better. My Reputation as a Hostess with Ideas can always use some help.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 24 Nov 12 12:45am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Party Chicken

I would make a chicken 'pie'  not wih pastry but with a potato topping.
Do you still have the roasting juices ?
When I make this sot of chicken oie its often with the left overs from the roast chicken that we have for lunch and its a family favorite.

I dice  a couple of onions , one would probably do but as my famiily like onions I usually use 2 , I gently saute these in a saucepan with some butter , more butter than you would normally use as this is the base for the sauce , once the onions are starting to caramalised I add flour and aprox half and half of milk and chicken stock (or left over gravy ) to make the sauce  like a white/bachamel sauce but with a bit of extra's in . Season the sauce.
I take the chicken off the bone , chop it roughly and add it to the sauce.
into this sauce  I add lightly cooked chopped vegetables ( but the veg are optional )
Into an oven proof dish I add some frozen peas .
I tip the sauce with the chicken in over the peas and top all this with mashed potato or mashd potato with pasrnip mashed in.

I the bake in the oven till brown and serve with mre veg if you like , or just crusty bread to  mop the sauce off the plate.
Its a family favorite on a cold winters day,

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 24 Nov 12 9:40am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

chicken quesadillas with different fixings would be  pretty fun.. you could do a quick homemade l salsa and quacamole  , bit of sour cream .  bottle of hot sauce for those that like it.   would fit in with a boardgame night .

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#4 Sat 24 Nov 12 9:45am

hippytea

From Scotland

Mummza - yes, I do have the roasting juices. Professor Oliver has taught me well! Interestingly, I cooked it in a ceramic dish rather than a metal pan, just cos that was what came to hand, and the juices turned out better than usual - no burning. I was able to get all the gnarly bits off with just a little boiling water.

Your pie sounds delicious, definitely a contender!

Ashen - also a cool idea! I love to make tortillas and I'm fond of quesadillas.

This is going to take some hard thinking!

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 24 Nov 12 1:29pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I would make a chicken pot pie with a puff pastry top.  I like carrots, celery, corn kernels and peas in my pot pie. 

If it's a super casual event you could also make chicken salad sandwiches on fancy bread.

Or chicken croquettes but that's a lot of work because you have to fry them.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 24 Nov 12 1:51pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Vietnamese rice wraps or skewer some chunks and make satay sauce.

eta:  Your little black dress is wrinkled once it goes into the fridge, time to change into another frock and put on matching jewelry.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 24 Nov 12 1:53pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 24 Nov 12 3:23pm

hippytea

From Scotland

The little black dress was wrinkled, but I peeled it and stuck the skin in the stock pot so that's OK.

I think the metaphor is falling down now.

You know, there really is a lot of chicken on a chicken. So I've made up a pie for tomorrow, using mummza's method for the sauce but topping it with pastry because I had some in the freezer and I want to use the potatoes for wedges tonight. And it's a top-crust pie, which is the same as a pot pie, isn't it? Only one big one, not several little ones.

And for tonight, I'm going to make chicken dippers and have them with tortillas and lettuce and various dips. And wedges. I'm having a go at marinading the cooked chicken in yoghurt to stop it being dry - can't find any recipe where anyone does this with cooked chicken, so it might be a soggy disaster. I'll let you know. I'm doing the dippers in the oven, so I'm going to mix grated parmesan with the breadcrumbs to add some crunch. Also thinking of putting some parmesan on the wedges for extra crunch. I'll let you know how all this turns out.

Thanks for your ideas, everyone!

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 24 Nov 12 3:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Sounds great!  Pot pie usually has a top and bottom crust, but it can have only a top crust, I believe.

A nice chicken salad made with yogurt and sour cream or just one of the two would be quite nice served cold over your Mexican ingredients, maybe add a little cumin, and chili powder to the yogurt.  I had a fusion salad that had jicama (crisp root vegetable with a very mild flavor) mango and chicken in a sour cream sauce over crisp lettuces - delicious.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:19pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Mmm. I made a dip out of yoghurt, garlic, rosemary, parsley and Parmesan. Not very Mexican, but hey. And a tomato one for the fussy people - just passata with a bit of salt and sugar and a dash of Worcester sauce. The only dietary requirements this evening are pickiness roll and that's among the adults! The wee one will eat most things if she knows she'll get cake afterwards!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 24 Nov 12 11:17pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Well, the dippers worked out great. Soaking in yoghurt was definitely a good plan!

The last time I made dippers with cooked chicken, they were too dry, so this time I marinaded them in plain yoghurt with crushed garlic, salt and a sprig of rosemary. Left them in this in the fridge for about 5 hours, then pulled them out, rolled them in half-and-half dried breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan, and baked at 220C for about 25min. I didn't clean the yoghurt off, just knocked off any big globs.

Great! Crispy enough on the outside, good and moist inside, and a nice mild garlicky flavour. No yoghurt inside when you ate them, it must have dried out through the crumbs while it was cooking, meaning the chicken didn't dry out. Plus the yoghurt means no need to flour and egg before putting the coating on, which is less hassle. Do you need to soak or would it work just dipping in yog instead of egg? No idea.

Will definitely do them like this again. We had them in tortillas with lettuce and dips. Tasty.

Likes (0)