Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Using up those Turkey leftovers.

It has just been Thanksgiving in America and it will soon be Christmas here in the UK .

I know that as a family we usually have left over turkey in the fridge.
This is something that my family love as they know it will lead n to some of the meals that they love about meals at Christmas.

Turkey soup is always high in that list .
After Christmas Dinner has finished I usually take the remaining meat off the turkey bones, putting it into a couple of plastic food boxes as I go.
The larger sized pieces of meat get put into one box and all those little picked off pieces of meat get put into a second. These get put into the fridge. ( if space is short I might put the smaller pieces into a polythene bag instead as it takes less space and will be used sooner.
I put the bones into a large pan with some water and vegetables which I initially bring to a boil then turm down to a simmer to make the stock.

Once the stock is made it generally gets turned into a soup , adding peeled and diced vegetables, seasoning , a generous slosh of sherry ( this makes a good rich soup ) , ad finally the little bits of turkey get added to the pan and heated well to make this a whlesome turkey soup.

the soup is just one of the ways that we use up the turkey leftovers . We also make pies, sandwiches , add it to salads etc , it never really lasts long in our house and there are often a few comlaints when its all finished and a reminder from the family to get a larger turkey the next year ( which I never do !!)

Have you any ways that you always use , what are your favorites ?

Last edited by mummza (Sat 24 Nov 12 5:46pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:51pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Using up those Turkey leftovers.

I don't use the leftovers up right away - I strip the carcass, pack the meat with stock or gravy in pots and boxes, and freeze it. I then use it up over two or three months. I do the same with any leftover roast.

I realise that's a boring answer. Sorry. I do put the bones in the slow cooker and make turkey soup. And this year I'm going to try pulled turkey if there's leg meat left over, as I liked pulled pork so much. Or fry it with some five-spice and use it like crispy duck. That's if there are any leftovers - we're only getting a 9-pounder and my brother's coming!  help

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 24 Nov 12 6:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I froze 7 individual full meals containing -turkey/stuffing/gravy/green beans/mashed potatoes.

Made turkey stock, put 4 containers - about a pint each, into the freezer. Made cream of spinach soup with the stock yesterday and savory pancakes inspired by Korean pancakes with leftover turkey and carrots and flavored with toasted sesame oil, garlic and a little soy sauce.

Today, I'm making a layered casserole for lunch with rice, corn, turkey, stuffing and stock, topped with cheddar.

The leftover pumpkin mousse went into the freezer and is now a lot like ice cream - my favorite flavor.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 24 Nov 12 8:11pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 24 Nov 12 9:45pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

turkey stock with the carcass

some of the leftover meat is used in a turkey pot pie , which is then portioned and frozen for quick meals over the next couple months.

There needs to be some leftover meat for turkey sandwiches .

Sometimes for breakfast the following day/s  I dice the meat up with onion and potatoes and make a turkey hash  served with poached eggs on top.  I usually make it a nice crispy  hash with  a spicy bite from my homemade hot mix spice.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#5 Sun 25 Nov 12 8:09am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

In the UK, our Christmas meals always tended to be the same. Turkey and stuffing sandwiches for tea on Boxing Day, turkey curry the next or following day, and turkey soup one or two days thereafter. No-one ever complained though.

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 25 Nov 12 1:55pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

My family makes cream of turkey soup with the carcass.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 25 Nov 12 3:06pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

This year all the leftovers were left at my daughters house.  Usually we will make hot turkey sandwiches and grilled ham an cheese sandwiches the next day or so to use up any leftovers.  I love making soup also.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 25 Nov 12 5:27pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I make stock with the carcass, and freeze it in portions.  Any leftover meat goes into salads, curries, soups, or gets covered with a sauce and served reheated with vegetables.  It all gets used, and I never have enough over!

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 25 Nov 12 6:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

same here Olivia, we never have enough leftovers for the family either !

I have a friend who usually makes a 'corination Chicken' dish only with the turkey . I have never made it or tried it myself.
But it seems popular at the boxing day get together each year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_chicken

Last edited by mummza (Sun 25 Nov 12 6:11pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 27 Nov 12 10:09am

mummy2704

Member since Wed 21 Nov 12

i like to make what my family call, boxing day turkey and leek pie.  Last year I didnt have a turkey I did chicken and roast beef to be different wiith the left overs of the chicken I just did chicken and leek pie its amazing! 1kg of leeks to make it yum! also put some leftovers in a omlette for brekkie.  I give my Dad the bones to make soup with. I like to make roasted vegetable soup with any left over veg aswell.

Likes (0)