forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 06 Nov 12 11:04am

citycooker

Member since Tue 06 Nov 12

Beef Madras in the slow cooker

Hi all -

My first post after a long time reading and learning from this great resource!

Today before I came to work I made a beef madras in the slow cooker, it is the first time using it and pretty much first time making a curry so I wanted to document it here and receive some feedback, or pointers on how I can improve it. (I have not tasted it yet but hoping it will be delicious when I return in 9 hours time).

So, last night I marinated around 500g of diced beef in natural yogurt and garam massala. This morning I added that to the slow cooker, along with a finely diced onion, 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 1 chilli, a large spoonful of madras paste and mixed all this around in the pot. I then added a tin of chopped tomatoes and topped up with a little water. Decided to leave ginger out as my wife doesn't really like it - although I tell her its likely to be in most Chinese and Indian dishes we eat out she doesn't like me cooking it at home! After that I simply put the lid on and turned the slow cooker on "low".

So what do you guys think? Have I missed anything? I was also unsure about browning the beef first, and also browning the onions with the curry paste, but I decided not to and threw it all in....

Fingers crossed!  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Nov 12 12:25pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Re: Beef Madras in the slow cooker

It sounds good, slow cooking should make it very tender.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Nov 12 7:18pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

It sounds delicious . I never brown the meat before adding to the slow cooker.
Please come back and tell us of the result. big_smile

edit: sp  oops  roll

Last edited by Kye (Wed 07 Nov 12 12:09am)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 06 Nov 12 11:02pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi CityCooker, enjoy your meal! smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 06 Nov 12 11:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum city cooker .

I bet your curry was delicious .

You asked what we think ...

If I was making this in the slow cooker , the night before I would have sliced finely 2 or 3 onions and cooked them slowly till they were soft , browned and well clumped  together . The reason I would do this is because the well cooked onions will add a richness and thickness to the sauce.
I would not cook off the curry paste with the onions ., but I do often add fresh garlic .
Browning the onions for a long slow time might seem a bit of a waste of time but I promise you it does make a difference to the taste and texture .

I do not always brown off the meat if I am cooking a curry .

There is a really good curry thread here on the forum that might be of some help to you when selecting spices to use in your curries .
It's full of recipes and helpful advice.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 06 Nov 12 11:42pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12902

Click on the link above to get to the thread I mentioned citycooker  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 07 Nov 12 11:54am

citycooker

Member since Tue 06 Nov 12

Thanks everyone for the reply!

@mummza - thanks for the link I wil be sure to check out that thread!

The curry was delicious - the beef was amazingly tender, it stayed together as the diced cubes but came apart as stringy delicious beef when pressed with a fork (which was exactly what I wanted). A few things I would do differently next time:

1) I will brown the onion as suggested - I also think I diced them too small as I couldn't really find them in the finished curry, they were there in background but I often like a few big ones to give them a little crunch of their own!

2) It wasn't really hot (spicy) enough. I used garam massala overnight to marinate the beef, used 1 fresh chilli in the pot and also a large spoonful of Madras paste. It was slightly hot, but felt more like a beef casserole than a fiery curry. I didn't use any curry/chilli powder which I think I will next time. Maybe by cooking the madras paste with the onions for a few minutes will "release" the heat or something? Im not sure.

3) I used a full tin of chopped tomatoes,and also about a quater a can of water to finish it off, the final curry was a little too watery. I will either not use the water next time - or i will pass the finished curry through a sieve to leave the curry mixture without the mass of water. Or reduce it on a hob but that seems like too much work for the benefit of using a slow cooker in the first place!

Overall, 8/10! Much more chilli heat next time!

Today I have a joint of ham in the slow cooker. I decided to go for plain water instead of any juice and also threw in a few bay leaves, cloves and mixed peppercorns. Will be having that with some roast winter veg and dauphinoise potatoes. smile

smile

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 08 Nov 12 12:27am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Wonderful stuff Citycooker! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:43pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

If it still helps, yeah, I never add liquid to a curry or stew in the slow cooker. Unlike the oven, it won't reduce at all, so you want the consistency at the start to be if anything slightly thicker than you're looking for in the finished dish (as juices escape from the meat and thin the sauce).

Also, onions vanish in the slow cooker. I'm not sure where they go, but I suspect they're raptured into a higher plane of tastiness around 4 hours in, leaving only their spiritual presence behind.

So if you want onions to chew on, you'll need to add extra ones within the last hour or so. If you don't want them to be actually crunchy, saute them first. The window between crunchiness and total disappearance is a narrow one, so this may need some experimentation.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 24 Nov 12 6:04pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

citycooker wrote:

1) I will brown the onion as suggested - I also think I diced them too small as I couldn't really find them in the finished curry, they were there in background but I often like a few big ones to give them a little crunch of their own!smile

The onions do sort of beend themselves into the sauce and this is what halps to thicken and flavour the sauce.
If you like the onions to be bigger just make the curry with with the fine chopped onions and the add some larger chopped onio towards the end of the cooking.

citycooker wrote:

2) It wasn't really hot (spicy) enough. I used garam massala overnight to marinate the beef, used 1 fresh chilli in the pot and also a large spoonful of Madras paste. It was slightly hot, but felt more like a beef casserole than a fiery curry. I didn't use any curry/chilli powder which I think I will next time. Maybe by cooking the madras paste with the onions for a few minutes will "release" the heat or something? Im not sure.

Garam Masala is a base 'mixed spice' it gives no heat to the dish , a combination on chilli and ginger gives heat , it might be worth just adding some ginger to the curry as well as the chilli , I buy fresh ginger which I peel and either grate chop fine ( for this I use my little food processor as I have trouble grating things ).
I also have fresh chopped ginger in my freezer , I buuy this frozen from the suermarket , its useful to keep in the freezer.

citycooker wrote:

3) I used a full tin of chopped tomatoes,and also about a quater a can of water to finish it off, the final curry was a little too watery. I will either not use the water next time - or i will pass the finished curry through a sieve to leave the curry mixture without the mass of water. Or reduce it on a hob but that seems like too much work for the benefit of using a slow cooker in the first place!

Slow cookers do not allow much evaporation of fluids , if any at all , so what you end up with is the fluids that you added and also the fluids that have come out of the meat and any vegetables that you have added.
I use less fluid when I am cooking in a slow cooker.

citycooker wrote:

Today I have a joint of ham in the slow cooker. I decided to go for plain water instead of any juice and also threw in a few bay leaves, cloves and mixed peppercorns. Will be having that with some roast winter veg and dauphinoise potatoes. smile

I like to cook the joint of ham in cider , but sometimes I cook it in water.

Yesterday I cooked some pork in the slow cooker I did this wth some onions, garlic, sage .rosemary and for the fluid I added cider. I cooked it for a long time so that it was easy to fork apart  as 'pulled pork' . It worked very well and I am told that it tasted fantastic.

Likes (0)