Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 25 Nov 12 2:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hot Cross buns and other seasonal produce on the supermarket shelves

Christmas is on its way and the supermarket shelves are packed with seasonal products and produce to tenpt the shopper,

These items used to be looked forward to and thought of as a  treat but these days you can often buy uch of what  iused to be considered seasonal produce all year round.

A good example of this is 'Hot Cross Buns' , a spiced bread bun which has dried fruit in it and a cross on the top.
The Hot Cross Bun was traditionaly eaten on Good Friday , the Friday before Easter Sunday , the cross on the top signifies the cross of the crucifiction .
Now-a-days these Hot Cross buns seen to be n the supermarket shelves all year round .
This saddens me as no longer do they carry the religious significance but also they are no longer a treat , looked forward to in danger of no longer being assosiated with easter .

I was in a well known food shop in the UK recently an had gone to buy some ' teacakes ' another fruited bread . I searched the shelves in the bakery section and was dismayed at what I saw .. I saw a whole shelf of Hot Cross Buns and only one small row ( 1 packet across ) on tea cakes , Tea cakes being more traditional for all year round biut are partiicually eated in colder weather.

I think its sad that things that used to hold traditional and in some cases religious significance to a particular season or festival in the year ae now avalible all year round and presume supermarket profit dictates more what stocks the shelves than seasonality.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Nov 12 11:35pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Hot Cross buns and other seasonal produce on the supermarket shelves

Whatever the shops display saddens me most of the year, rubber dinghy's give way to school gear here by the middle of august, school gear for halloween, halloween for christmas...i hate it mostly when christmas starts in the middle of november.

Tradition no longer exists, religious significance is swept away by a sad and greedy world.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 29 Nov 12 12:44am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Hot Cross buns and other seasonal produce on the supermarket shelves

Kye wrote:

Tradition no longer exists, religious significance is swept away by a sad and greedy world.

I am an atheist so the religious significance of things is lost on me. That does  not make me a sad and greedy person. However, I do understand the seasonal aspect of stuff, including foods etc. I also respect peoples religious beliefs and observance/celebration of traditions related to those beliefs. If people like myself do not observe a religious belief, why shoudn't they enjoy a nice spice bun? This is what they are called here in Australia as they are sold without the cross on them throughout the year.

We do celebrate christmas with christmas dinner etc as it is more a celebration that we got through another year. I also work christmas day every now and then, as does OG and we have christmas dinner etc the next day if needed.

Here in Oz, we have christmas during summer and summer means !!!!!CHERRIES!!!!!!!

I make an absolute pig of myself on them over summer and refuse to purchase them any other time of the year. My greengrocer used to stock the cherries that were imported from the US (food miles shocked  shocked  shocked ) however he no longer bothers as most of the customers have refused to buy them. They are pretty expensive.

Last edited by Cindy (Thu 29 Nov 12 12:47am)

Likes (0)