forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 26 Nov 12 9:04pm

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK
Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Easy Bake Scrumptious Wholemeal Bread

This is what I bake when my teenager stays over at friends!!!  It's a real treat!  Nice texture, rich and nutty... and a doddle to bake!

Have a look - it's got photographs - I want to try and get as many people baking as possible (it saves money and you know what you're eating... and, it's fun!!)... not to get political but I think we've become deskilled as a nation as I meet young people all the time who never even consider baking bread themselves... they think you have to buy it at the shop!!!!!

http://www.squidoo.com/easy-bake-scrump … meal-bread

Cheers,

smile

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:33am

CoastalKid

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

Re: Easy Bake Scrumptious Wholemeal Bread

Hi,
I've only just joined and have just come across your post - I am loving this forum already!
I've never made bread before as I've always been too scared (!) but will try this for sure - thanks!
Quick question - is corn oil readily available in the UK (I'm in West Sussex) if not, is there an alternative oil I can use (rapeseed/olive oil) ?
Cheers,

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Blueladder , That recipe shown looks like it has baked quite a heavy loaf , try reducing some of the whole meal flour and adding a bit of white bread flour to it keeping the quantity the same and you will get a lighter loaf with little difference to the flavour.

CostalKid , yes, you can buy cornoil , if it were me I would use sunflour oil instead.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:50am

CoastalKid

Mummza, again another thank you.  I can see we will be exchanging messages frequently - hope I'm not going to prove too much of a pest of a student!! Great to have expertise to call on - thanks again  smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:52am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

CoastalKid wrote:

Hi,
I've only just joined and have just come across your post - I am loving this forum already!
I've never made bread before as I've always been too scared (!) but will try this for sure - thanks!
Quick question - is corn oil readily available in the UK (I'm in West Sussex) if not, is there an alternative oil I can use (rapeseed/olive oil) ?
Cheers,

Use an oil that doesn't have flavor, so not olive oil.  You can read about canola/rapeseed oil and decide for yourself if that product is right for you.  I refuse to use it.  I use cold-pressed organic safflour oil, it's quite nice.

mummza, I haven't tried this particular recipe, but I used to make a 100% whole grain bread/no knead that was great, not heavy at all.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:35am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

And I'll weigh in on the other side and say rapeseed would be my choice as it's our home-grown oil in the UK. But really for a bread recipe, any oil will do, or any fat for that matter. All it does is soften the crumb slightly, improving the texture.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Nov 12 3:57am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sunflower oil is also produced in the UK .
Ok so not all that you see on the supermarket shelves is from the UK but it can be bought.

Rapeseed oil , I am still considering , I do have some , I have used it , but as yet I have not formed a habit if using it and I not sure  I am likely too.

Another reason fat/oil is put into bread as far as I am aware is to enhance it's keeping properties , it does not go dry so fast if it had some fat in the loaf.
It also adds to flavour .

Olive oil I usually only use for focaccia ,sometimes to go on the top of a stretched out  pizza dough or by the same principle ,  to go on flatbreads.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 27 Nov 12 8:43am

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK
Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Wow!  Thanks for all your comments!!!!!  And I'm really pleased if it gives anybody that bit of extra confidence to start baking!!! Enjoy!

I tried mixing white flour but the recipe didn't work quite as well - I would have had to change the recipe (amount of water?) a little bit.

With the oil I tried all sorts and only used corn oil by accident when my olive oil ran out - my son loved it (and it makes much nicer chips than olive oil too... crispy!!) so that's all I use now for my bread.  If I can keep the quality and save a few extra pennies I'm all for that!

It makes a lovely moist loaf and I like the texture... it's also great for toast.  But bread is very personal... I do this because it's easy and I'm very busy and I know it works - but if I had more time I'd experiment with lots more recipes.

Am going to try and make a Stollen and put that up... costed the ingredients and gas and it's half the price of the shop bought ones (and that's using all luxury ingredients!!! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 27 Nov 12 10:17am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

That's good! It's so annoying when something costs the same to make as to buy, eg. Christmas cake. Nice when you can make something so it tastes better AND saves a bit of money!

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:21pm

CoastalKid

I really do love this forum and cannot believe it's taken me so long to join!!  I can see I'm going to learn a lot which is fab smile
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and recipes (can't wait to see the Stollen Blueladder...bring it on!!
Happy cooking all  thumbsup

Likes (0)