forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#511 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:31am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

My main worry would be staining. Especially if you've been feeding the cake, that brown oozy juice can seep like you wouldn't believe. That and maybe burning the cake on the second round in the oven - how long does it take to cook the meringue topping?

I think if you're going to do this, you'll be a bold pioneer, blazing a trail, complete with the risk that it might not work. If it works, I'm sure it'll taste good - after all, Royal icing is a mix of sugar and egg white and tastes similar to meringue - I'm just not sure I could give you good odds right now.

Likes (0)

#512 Tue 27 Nov 12 3:20am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No I don't think it will work CostalKid , to me it sounds like a sort Italian meringue topping ... But then you said you would be rebaking it .

If you put the cake back in the oven it will be far too dry .christmas cake is an expensive cake to make and it seems a shame to risk ruining it.

What you could do as an alternative to icing is to top the cake with glacÚ fruits and nuts , this looks very pretty and enhanced the fruitiness of the cake .( I think Marks and Spencer's usually sell a similar thing if you want to see what I mean . )

Likes (0)

#513 Tue 27 Nov 12 10:10am

hippytea

From Scotland

Or make a meringue and stick it to the top?

Likes (0)

#514 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:13pm

CoastalKid

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

Hi hippytea & mummza,

Thank you both soooo much.  I know for sure now that I will not be re-baking so thanks for saving my cake from me  lol
I like the idea of making/baking the meringue and trying to put on top but really not sure I'll do that successfully!!
Did Lorraine's cake work out due to her not having any booze in (or feeding it) hence not so much liquid to stain?
What do you think......would the cooking of the meringue and then putting on top work and would it be pretty straight forward for a novice??
Thank you both for your help, really appreciate it.
Nb. Strangely Jamie does suggest a meringue as topping for this cake (1 of 3 suggestions in his Magazine - Issue 14 Nov/Dec 10)  I would just be adding Lorraine's sugar syrup and much more meringue on top as an alternative! Sorry to be a pain!!

Likes (0)

#515 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:52pm

hippytea

From Scotland

What about crushing up some meringue and sticking it to the cake with glace icing? (icing sugar+water). There was an interesting Christmas cake topping in this month's Delicious magazine, but I can't lay my hand on it right now. It was like a crumbly topping made with sugar lumps, easier than icing. If I find it I will let you know.

As for cooking a meringue and sticking it to the cake, I know I suggested it, but to be honest I've never baked a meringue! That idea should have come with a health warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Likes (0)

#516 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:54pm

hippytea

From Scotland

I looked up the recipe that was your inspiration and I'm putting a link so it might spark off some other ideas (from people that know something about meringues) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chris … nter_64957

Likes (0)

#517 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:59pm

CoastalKid

Bless you hippytea, not only Chief cook and bottle-washer....life saver as well!! I'll look on the link you've sent, thanks so much.  Have a little time up my sleeve whilst I feed the cake (and me whilst I'm at it!!!) lol
Thanks again,

Likes (0)

#518 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:01pm

CoastalKid

Duh...read it too quickly!! Just realised it's my link from Lorraine!! Hopefully there will be some meringue guru that will advise...thanks so much for your time and help smile

Likes (0)

#519 Tue 27 Nov 12 5:51pm

Ratko

Member since Tue 27 Nov 12

Hi there,

Fist i would like to say that I admire your work. I admire you work with the adolescents you are doing. Giving them a chance to become more than they have imagined in their lives. You are doing a great job, and i think you should be given the Nobel Prize.
I like to hear your opinion for one recipe, that i like to make and surprise everyone on my birthday. I have mushrooms, cheese and a shafran. I like to put the mushrooms in a pan, then put the cheese over them and bake them in the oven. At the end i like to put some shafran on them. Do you think it is a good combination?

Best Regards,

Likes (0)

#520 Tue 27 Nov 12 9:25pm

Roshanj

Member since Tue 27 Nov 12

Hello!

Hope this answers ASAP.

The other day Jamie, on yor 15minute meals. You were making a Thai dish, you used a processor which you also had a food cutter in..... To make your Thai salad. My mum is ill now and cannot cut anymore but adores cooking.... What was this machine called as I want to buy it for her for Christmas!

Please let me know!

Thank you ever so much

Likes (0)