Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 30 Nov 12 8:00pm

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

Nutrition: For Pregnat/Breast Feeding women

I thought I would post this hoping to get advise about nutrition now that I am breast feeding. As far as I know you need to consume a minimum of 1800 calories a day while breast feeding. I would like to know what to eat[receipes would be nice as an added bonus] to keep myself healthy but how to do that and lose the weight I gained during my pregnancy.

Oh,based on my own experience[everyone is different] the following I would avoid while pregnat:

caffine[harmful for the baby]
fries,chips [I will update later but I believe it has to do with low birth weight etc]

spicy foods

anything acidic [I learned the hard way on that one lol. this includes apples yes, apples with the expection of one ...red delcious..need to check that out because I am unsure of the name]

pickles[I know , I know but for me it was a big no no lol]

vinger[it did a number on me lol]

that's what I can remember off the top of my head!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 30 Nov 12 8:21pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Nutrition: For Pregnat/Breast Feeding women

congratulations on the birth of a little treasure.

I found that onions and tomatoes were the main things that affected some , but not all of my babies ( long time ago now ) they all seemed to have different thinsg that made them a bit grumbly .
I just adapted my diet to suit each child.

I seem to remember that cranberry juice also bothered one of them.

I always ate salad dressing but cant remember the vinegar in it bothering them.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Nov 12 8:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

While pregnant I had one cup of coffee a day.  Lots of pregnant women do.  The only thing I avoided while pregnant was sushi, undercooked meats and soft cheeses.  I ate chips and french fries and other fried foods without fears.

I still breastfeed my 17m old and I eat everything.  I still only have one cup of coffee in the morning but that has little to do with my son, I can't handle more caffeine than that anyway.  There is nothing I exclude from my diet now except I do limit alcohol to one or two glasses.

It's nice to share your experience, but it's best not to generalize without having some medical research to back up what you say.  I ate and still eat lots of spicy food and acidic food during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Try telling someone in India not to eat spicy food lol.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 01 Dec 12 12:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

When I breastfed my body drove what I ate. I had a good diet but I was starving at the start! It is the only time in my life I have eaten cream doughnuts, I had one each time I went to the shops!
But once my milk making settled down I can't remember doing anything different. My daughter didn't seem to react to anything I ate.
I didn't gain excess weight during pregnancy or breastfeeding.

But I know that for some women their health at this time, and their babies, can be quite fraught. The best tip I can give is to be in healthy habits before you get pregnant and then see how you go from there.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 01 Dec 12 8:01am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I think most recommendations run similar to http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/con … Lmqz2bDi5k

Breastfeeding - other than extra fluids on warm days (and my craving for steak) I don't think anything special is needed. I suspected an issue with brassicas and baby being up all night but I wasn't willing to run a second test on that so it could have been a coincidence.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 01 Dec 12 9:44am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

For those wishing to check if an over the counter medication is ok for breast feeding http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT of course it's better to talk to your pharmacist.

One thing I came across was codeine. It's sometimes given as a painkiller after birth and they usually limit it's use. There was a case in the UK where a newborn died as a result of it's mother having a particular genetic make up that meant she metabolised codeine to morphine in much much larger amounts than most women do. There is only a small population with this genetic make up but given genetic tests take weeks to come back why take the risk. This I got from a lactation consultant. It was a recommendation going around the state health service when i was feeding.

Last edited by The White Rabbit (Sat 01 Dec 12 9:45am)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 01 Dec 12 5:24pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I believe smaller molecules are more likely to get through in breast milk, and past the placenta, than larger ones. The aromatic molecules in garlic and the capsaicin (spicy part) in chillies are small molecules. A pharmacologist friend told me when I was pregnant that when I ate garlic, the baby could probably taste it, as those little molecules get everywhere!

More of a factoid than useful advice, but I thought it was interesting. Apparently the aromatic molecules in garlic are so pervasive that if you rub a cut clove on your foot, you will taste it 15min later. I have never tried this.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 05 Dec 12 7:19am

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

koukouvagia wrote:

While pregnant I had one cup of coffee a day.  Lots of pregnant women do.  The only thing I avoided while pregnant was sushi, undercooked meats and soft cheeses.  I ate chips and french fries and other fried foods without fears.

I still breastfeed my 17m old and I eat everything.  I still only have one cup of coffee in the morning but that has little to do with my son, I can't handle more caffeine than that anyway.  There is nothing I exclude from my diet now except I do limit alcohol to one or two glasses.

It's nice to share your experience, but it's best not to generalize without having some medical research to back up what you say.  I ate and still eat lots of spicy food and acidic food during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Try telling someone in India not to eat spicy food lol.

I see what your saying, buy I didn't mean to come across as generalizing lol. I listed a few things based on experience[I believe I said that this may not apply to everyone..shrugs..I know everyone reacts to what they eat differently ] the spicy food thing wasn't based on experience the info. was provided by my dr.

If I remember correctly, caffine is ok but only 8oz a day. The catch is caffine is in coffee,pop,chocolate etc so I just avoided it all together with the expection of chocolate....lol but even then it was rare.

I know about the fries and chips thing. I found out about when my daughter was 2mths. Maybe because I didn't eat much or that often my daughter turned out fine. [I really need to find the time to update what I posted earlier though but I have the memory of well don't ask lol . Side note is this common b/c I heard you lose a certain amount of memory and can't get it back.....oh hellll no lol] Well as long as it's safe and the doctor ok's it do what pleases you.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 05 Dec 12 8:42am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I am of the opinion that we can eat or drink anything within reason. The only exception being alcohol. I sometimes wonder if many mothers have stopped trusting their instincts and themseles and rely on 'experts' far too much.

We need to start using some uncommon sense. Take a look at women from different cultures. They eat a varied diet. I believe the rise in allergies has a lot to do with restricting what we eat during pregnancy and when breast feeding. I believe exposure to various foods whilst breastfeeding also decreases fussiness as kids get older.

Basically, just relax. Eat a varied, healthy diet full of fresh fruit and veg. Follow the healthy food pyramid. Get plenty of exercise by walking or whatever else floats your boat and you will find the weight you have put on will start to drop off fairly quickly.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 05 Dec 12 10:48am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Lots of people when pregnant avoid common allergens - prawns, peanuts etc., but I didn't. Official advice in the UK is that unless the mother or father have allergies, there is no need to avoid allergens during pregnancy; if either mother or father has severe allergies there is a significant chance the baby will too, so it may be prudent to avoid them.

I did still avoid some foods where the risk is not to do with allergy: liver, as too much vitamin A can damage the baby's developing liver; predatory fish, because of mercury levels; alcohol and so on.

The problem is we have too much knowledge and it can be so hard to know which risks to take seriously! I'm sure pregnancy is a less anxious business if you don't have this knowledge, but ignorance isn't always a good thing. A friend of a friend who is Ghanaian genuinely didn't know that you shouldn't drink alcohol when pregnant - her little boy has fetal alcohol syndrome and will have problems (ADHD-type I think) for the rest of his life. No doubt her pregnancy was less neurotic than mine, but at the end of the day, she wishes she'd had more knowledge about this stuff at the time.

So it's a tricky one!

Likes (0)