#12 Tue 04 Dec 12 7:51pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Braising Steak

beerforyorky wrote:

In the UK we had (and still have probably) "braising steak". Here we have beef. I would like to try braising some beef. Is there any particular cut I should ask for? I shall need to point to a part of my body or take along a graphic.

Note: all the cuts of beef are virtually the same price per kilogramme.

Cheers

Y

You mean fillet and sirloin are about the same price as brisket?

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 05 Dec 12 6:40am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

sergio1972 wrote:

You mean fillet and sirloin are about the same price as brisket?

The price for local beef here has recently increased substantially. The current price is around Bht 230.00 - Bht 250.00 (USD 7.00 - 7.50) per kilogramme. Give or take that slight difference, it doesn't matter whether it's fillet or scrag end mince.

Of course, imported beef (Aus or US) is a completely different ball game.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 05 Dec 12 6:46am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

For your interest, the same philosophy applies to chicken, duck and pork. One basic price for all cuts. We don't have local lamb or goat unfortunately.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 05 Dec 12 11:00am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Wow. You could make fillet steak stew.

But don't. It will fall apart and won't taste of anything!

However, if money really isn't an issue and you avoid the tenderest cuts (fillet, sirloin) which won't do well braised, you could braise almost anything. So the answer to your question may be experimentation! Just watch it VERY carefully, as the cooking time will vary hugely (between 30min at the tender end to 12 hours at the extreme tough end!). Once it's tender, take it off the heat, if you cook for too long after that point it will disintegrate.

General rule for any meat is if it's dry, you've overheated it, but if it's tough, it needs more time. If it's dry AND tough, bummer - you cooked it too hot. More time will make it tender, but once it's dry, it stays dry. Low and slow is what you need. Simmer with barely a bubble rising.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 05 Dec 12 1:38pm

Hoopington

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Hi,

For a good braise you need something with plenty of connective tissues that will render down and provide fab flavour. I would go for something like shin. You can get shin cut Osso Bucco style (Has the bone in.) This is what it looks like:

The marrow of the bone renders out beautifully during a braise and is just crazy tasty.

Also, you could braise blade, chuck, or if you can get it Feather steak. Feather isn't about that much - its usually the farmer's treat!

Hope this helps!

K x

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 05 Dec 12 1:39pm

Hoopington

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Oops I'm not allowed to send you the link to the image because I am new :-(

Likes (0)