forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#551 Tue 04 Dec 12 2:42am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Germandio, are you bound by tradition at all, or can you make anything you like? What part of the world are you in? Is it buffet-style or sit-down dinner?

Likes (0)

#552 Tue 04 Dec 12 2:50am

elaine.e.forres

Member since Tue 04 Dec 12

Hi Jamie

With your Paella receipe how long befor the required day can I make this and does it reheat well......or will I spoil it??  Appreciate your help.
Elaine

Likes (0)

#553 Wed 05 Dec 12 8:14am

mooy

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

hi jamie, last nite on on australian tv show you cooked scallops, spinach & purple broccoli, white rice which u then poured through with beated egs with shallots etc...i REALLY want all of these recipes...cant find them anywhere...please help... crossed

Likes (0)

#554 Wed 05 Dec 12 9:30am

Eleonoor

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Hi

Maybe a scilly question, but I'm allergic to cheese (not to all dairy but just to cheese, creame cheese). I'm wondering what I can use instead if I'd like to make 'pesto'.

Eleonoor

Likes (0)

#555 Thu 06 Dec 12 10:42am

SSnowden

Member since Thu 06 Dec 12

I have to do a meal for 6 tonight 4 meat eaters 2 vegetarians, I want to make a low calorie meal so have settled on Roast Lamb with courgette, bean and flageolet salad but.... what can i do for a substitute for the lamb for vegetarians? They eat fish i was thinking possibly tuna???? any help here would be much appreciated.

Hoping for some inspiration
Cheers Shell :-) crossed

Likes (0)

#556 Thu 06 Dec 12 2:07pm

hippytea

From Scotland

You sure they eat fish? If so, pescatarian, not vegetarian.

I'd go for sea bass or sea bream, nice and meaty and will go with the sides. Either wrap in foil with a few flavourings (herbs etc) and roast for 20-30min, or fry fillets in a pan - rub with oil, salt and pepper, cook skin-side down in a hot pan til three-quarters done then flip over to finish off.

I suppose salmon might go with the salad you mention, but strong oily fish like mackerel might argue with the accompaniments, and white fish other than bass and bream might be overpowered by them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 06 Dec 12 2:08pm)

Likes (0)

#557 Thu 06 Dec 12 2:11pm

hippytea

From Scotland

eleonoor - this site suggests just missing the cheese out:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co.uk … pesto.html

There's so much flavour coming from the herbs and richness from the nuts, I doubt you'll miss it.

Likes (0)

#558 Thu 06 Dec 12 4:09pm

bethanys715

Member since Thu 06 Dec 12

hello people

i really need  help  i have a project in school to make 2 main courses and a starter and desert and i dont no what i could do because im limated on money and i only have 2x45 minute lessons to cook in minus the 15 mins to clean up be for the lesson ends and the time the teacher wont to talk she takes ages so i dont have a lot of time to cook and i have to make a starter and main on one day then main and desert another and i really dont have any ideas please help me

thank you
beth
x

Likes (0)

#559 Thu 06 Dec 12 10:03pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

SSnowden, why cook two meals?

Why not do salmon as hippy has described above for all of you?

Make life easy on yourself and, also, don't make the "vegetarians" feel as if they've put to to extra trouble. Just a thought.

Welcome to the forums wave

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#560 Thu 06 Dec 12 10:30pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Hi bethanys715, welcome!

Gee, they don't ask much, do they! I'd suggest a cold starter so it can be put together without cooking - what about a smoked fish pate? Google it up, there are loads of recipes, the simplest I ever had was hot-smoked fish (it was Arbroath smokies) mixed with cream. Delicious on brown toast, oatcakes or rye crackers with a few leaves on the side. I don't know where you are, but the cheapest smoked fish round here is hot smoked mackerel and it makes a great pate.

For pudding, again, what about something cold? Somehting like Eton mess (meringues, whipped cream and berries all bashed together) or Cranachan (whipped cream, honey, toasted oats and berries mixed up) or any combination - I love a big Cranachan mess, whipped cream with berries and meringues and toasted oats and honey and some toasted almonds too. Or a fool - that's just some mashed fruit mixed with whipped cream, any tasty fruit will do (you can get raspberries and mango frozen, defrost them and they work really well) - again, you can top it with toasted nuts, that tastes amazing. These are really simple to do and absolutely delicious, and you can save all your actual cooking for the main course.

If you want to cheat the toasted oats for the cranachan, pound up some oatcakes. Works a treat.

No inspiration on mains yet but I'll keep thinking about it.

Likes (0)