Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 05 Dec 12 4:35pm

timfrisk

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Bread recipes

I have just purchased an Andrew James food processor and having difficulty in understanding the process for bread baking. Can anyone advise, please?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 05 Dec 12 7:40pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Bread recipes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews … 1M5AEOVQRJ

Seems to be the instructions are for bread making are false.

'The bad points: ignore the recipe book. For the first couple of loaves I followed the instructions to the letter and ended up with sunken bricks. Use a good bread maker recipe (search online). If you put water, then yeast and sugar, then flour then salt you won't go far wrong. Don't do it in the order the manufacturer says!!'

I have a bread machine and any recipe works as long as the liquids are added first.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 Dec 12 1:05am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

By hand, old school, Jamie or Gennaro Contaldo for italian bread. Gennaro really knows his stuff.
Bread makers? If my gran was alive today, she would be turning in her grave!
I love needing dough.
I miss real bread, Bavaria makes the best bread in the world, seriously the best.
That said there are a few pretty good Bakers in the U.K.
Anyone knows a good one list it here.
Exploding Bakery Exeter
Flour Station London, I recall they did something nice.
Ermington Sustainable
The Bakery Plymouth, try their Date and Pecan Rye.
Good luck.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Dec 12 10:51pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

It's great fun, doing your own bread  using your own hands:

http://chris-cookingaroundtheworld.blog … andom.html

Otherwise, I don't know too much about baking bread.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 07 Dec 12 1:15am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

This is the food processor bread recipe I have used:

1 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
150ml warm water.
Mix and leave 10 minutes until frothy

225 strong flour
1/2 tsp salt
15g oil or butter
Mix in the fp with the plastic blade. Pour in the yeast mixture (through the feeder tube if you wish) and keep mixing until it has come together.
Tip onto a floured surface and shape into a ball. Leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour until doubled in size.
Knead (or return to the machine for another minute).
Shape loaf, rolls, plait etc.  Place in tin or on tray, prove until doubled in size again (30 or 40 minutes). Sprinkle with caraway or sesame seeds. Bake at 220c.
20 minutes for rolls, 40 - 50 minutes for loaf.

Hope this helps smile

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Fri 07 Dec 12 1:16am)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 07 Dec 12 4:52pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Bread.  I have a breadmaker.  Is there some confusion here with food processors v. breadmakers?  For a breadmaker, you must carry out the recipe to the book and the ingrediments in the order your manufacturer recommends.  I've been using breadmakers for 12 years and with arthritic thumbs, they come into their own.  Just taken delivery of my third Panasonic - the R-R of breadmakers, in my opinion.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 07 Dec 12 7:05pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

My friend says the most important thing in the type of bread maker that takes liquid first, is to use the fast acting yeast and it has to be fresh.  saf-instant is the type of yeast he uses.  He also uses Red Star active instant dry yeast.  After first kneading cycle, check the moisture content, it works better if the dough is on the moist side.  If you increase the yeast, increase the sugar.

I'm not sure if the OP is talking about a food processor or bread maker . . . either way, people have reasons for using machines to make life easier, so that's fine.  If you prefer to do it by hand, that's fine too.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 08 Dec 12 8:37am

heihei

Member since Sat 08 Dec 12

Jack mowing the lawn boosting on the roads, previous the audience start to prevent. The cops ceased him to ask: "Why are you driving by so fast?" Port replied: "I'm sorry, my braking system bad, so I want to drive to be fixed as soon as possible, so as to prevent injuries."! '
Welcome to my site:

Likes (0)