forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 08 Dec 12 5:41pm

WebbFoot

Member since Thu 19 Apr 12

shepherd's pie

I'm using this recipe to make my first shepherd's pie. Do I have to use the broiler to cook it? Not that it makes a difference, just wondering if it cooked in the oven how minutes and what the temperature would be on an  american oven?

2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
1/2 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.

While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef or lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 08 Dec 12 9:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: shepherd's pie

How did it work out WebbFoot ?
If the pie was made with beef it's a cottage pie and if its made with lamb then it's a shepherds pie .

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 08 Dec 12 9:53pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Since everything is cooked and hot the cooking in the oven is from the top burner.
It's only to brown the potato on top for serving so once it's brown it's done.

I other words.. keep an eye on it wink

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 08 Dec 12 11:28pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mummza wrote:

How did it work out WebbFoot ?
If the pie was made with beef it's a cottage pie and if its made with lamb then it's a shepherds pie .

Even i know that wink  lol  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 12 Feb 13 9:02am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Pakman wrote:

Since everything is cooked and hot the cooking in the oven is from the top burner.
It's only to brown the potato on top for serving so once it's brown it's done.

I other words.. keep an eye on it wink

That's true but somehow that bit of magic happens when the shepherds or cottage pie is being browned in the oven , the flavours seem to marry together and often that bit of gravy from the meat tries to escape and give the pie that delicious crusty edge that my darling always scrapes off the dish !

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 12 Feb 13 1:51pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Webfoot, that sounds rather exotic.  So much so I couldn't possibly call it a Shepherd's Pie.  Not a traditional one anyway.  Perhaps a more appropriate name?  My Shepherd's/Cottage pies are simply and traditionally, mince, onion, good seasoning, tiny amount of herbs in a good thickish gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and a good sprinkling of grated cheddar, plus very finely chopped leek (white part only).  However, hope you enjoyed it.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 12 Feb 13 8:51pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

No I agree Thistledo, it sounds nice but it's not a Shepherds pie .

It's a Rachel Ray recipe and she is American .

Last edited by Gravy Queen (Tue 12 Feb 13 8:56pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 23 Feb 13 6:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I was watching an Australian Masterchef master class on the television yeaterday they talked about the great British pies and then they were making a take on Shepherds Pie , I was suprised as they used beef and eel ...yes eel

If its made with beef then its a cottage pie !
(Shephards pie beig made with lamb )

I am fast coming to the conclusuion that many peple  ( some chefs included ) do not understand the difference between Cottage Pie ad Shepherds Pie  roll

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 23 Feb 13 7:02pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Concur Mummza...

The number of times I've been in a Pub/Retaurant where I've ordered Shepherds pie and been served Cottage pie..... evil

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 23 Feb 13 11:38pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

We are shocking in Australia Mummza, you should see what we call apple crumble! whistle

Likes (0)