forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#581 Tue 11 Dec 12 8:42am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Elaine, re the turkey and pork skin: in the days when I used to cook turkey for Christmas, I used to protect the bird with the fattiest bacon I could find, so can't see why pork skin wouldn't work. Just heed what MsP says about the salt for your gravy.

Good luck crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#582 Tue 11 Dec 12 8:46am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Butterbread wrote:

just watch your Christmas show and my mouth watered the whole time, will you post the best gravy, the butter herb stuffing for the turkey breast etc. on this site

Butterbread, sorry for the delay in replying.

I've just dug out "Jamie's Christmas" DVD. It is dated 2005. You maybe could try one of the online outlets as I haven't seen it in the shops for ages crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#583 Tue 11 Dec 12 3:02pm

shevie

Member since Tue 11 Dec 12

Hi there Jamie, I hope you can inspire me!
On a complete whim, I decided to make my dear old aged mum a box of home made marron glaces for xmas as she loves them so much and they're about 1.50 EACH in the shops! I have successfully made about 24 and they are delicious but in several million pieces, but never mind, she'll be well impressed and will eat every mouthful, I know.
My question is this, apart from using it on ice cream, and mixing it into cream to go with meringues (my arteries are clogging just thinking about it) what can I do with the leftover syrup. It's full of gorgeousness (now where did I get that word from?) and I simply can't bring myself to throw it out.
Can you think of anything?
thumbsup  help  crossed

Likes (0)

#584 Tue 11 Dec 12 9:32pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I'm not Jamie, but you could use that syrup to flavour coffee or hot chocolate.

Or make a sponge cake, then prick it and pour over the syrup like you would a lemon drizzle cake.

Or make a Christmas fruit salad (say with plums, clementines, walnuts and apples) and dress it with the chestnut syrup.

Or use it as a glaze for meat - maybe venison or beef?

Whatever you do, don't throw it away! If it's a fairly strong syrup, like stock syrup consistency, it should keep indefinitely in the fridge.

Last edited by hippytea (Tue 11 Dec 12 9:36pm)

Likes (0)

#585 Tue 11 Dec 12 11:34pm

shevie

Member since Tue 11 Dec 12

I love the sponge cake suggestion and will give that a go! I have put it in a sterilized jar and popped it into the fridge. Never even thought about meat glaze but I think the venison idea is great.
Many thanks, it's great to have something a bit more exciting than just the old ice cream sauce thing, eh? Have a great xmas! smile

Likes (0)

#586 Wed 12 Dec 12 1:03am

najys

Occupation Sous Chef
From Australia, Sydney
Member since Mon 11 Dec 06

Hi !!

I have a question... I need to make stuffing for Christmas lunch.

I have a child who is allergic to eggs, another one allergic to cashews and pistachios.

And dietary requests that have asked for no dried fruits in the stuffing.

DILEMMA !!

What can I use to bind my stuffing without using eggs ?

Likes (0)

#587 Wed 12 Dec 12 6:24am

littlejeanie

Occupation Nurse
From Victoria, Aus
Member since Sat 26 May 07

Hi Jamie,
              I am throwing a christmas eve party, and one of the guests has a soy,dairy and gluten allergy.  I was wondering if you had any really good gluten free pasta/bread recipes. 

Thankingyou, and Merry Xmas Jamie and family.
Littlejeanie. big_smile  smile

Likes (0)

#588 Wed 12 Dec 12 8:53am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

najys: would some cheese work? I know I've seen fish cake recipes which used parmesan as a binder instead of eggs.

And actually, do you need a binder at all? Stuffing is meant to be a bit crumbly. You could just moisten the mixture with water or stock, maybe add a bit of flour so it will approximately stay together in balls.

Is it bread stuffing, sausagemeat stuffing or something else? Sausagemeat will bind itself to some extent, as will any raw meat.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 12 Dec 12 8:55am)

Likes (0)

#589 Wed 12 Dec 12 10:13am

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

jubjalufi wrote:

Hello Jamie,

on holidays in Italy we had a very very good main course:
It was braised lamb with a sauce of chestnuthoney und pink pepper kernels. It was really great! But they did n`t served a side order.

Now I want to cook this wunderful meal at Christmas, but I haven`t any idea what I shall give as side order / garnish. Something with sweet chestnuts and poatatoes or hokkaido (pumpkin)? I would be really glad about getting an idea from You.

Thank`s a lot!
Bettina

Sorry about my English. I am from Germany and my last English lesson is more than 30 years ago.

Hi Bettina,

I love Italy, luck you taking a vacation there! Ok, I would keep this simple as you will have lots of flavours with the lamb dish. How about mashed potatoe and celeriac or a lovely gratin with sliced potatoes, red onion and some of the juices from the lamb?

J

Likes (0)

#590 Wed 12 Dec 12 10:19am

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

a_oltar wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I am a big fan of yours! Love the passion you have for food and I try to apply the same in my kitchen.

I went to Billingsgate market recently and got a whole fresh tuna. I've been looking for a recipe on the internet ans struggling to find something appropriate.

I want to preserve the size and wholesomeness of fish and not cut it into steaks. Could you give me some ideas on how to marinade it and cook it (bake/grill/fry).  help

Thanks very much sir!  big_smile

Hello

The fish that I usually bake whole is either bass, bream or one of my favourite recipes is my Uncle Ken's grilled trout:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish … trout-with

Cheers

J

Likes (0)