Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#601 Sat 15 Dec 12 2:07pm

ShaShow

Member since Fri 14 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

hello, i am a gigging musician and i also work in a performance theater as a technition where 16hr days arent uncommon. both of these mean i dont get to eat properly with only a microwave at the theater and nothing to cook with when on road.
so basically im after some recopies that are, or can be eaten, cold. not only that but they need to be able to keep out of a fridge for a good 8-10 hours.

thanks alot,
Matthew Willars

Likes (0)

#602 Sat 15 Dec 12 8:21pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Matthew, you should make:

oatmeal biscuits. dry, handy, B vitamin, energy
quark cakes - they dont spoil although a milk product; they keep in shape and are tasty and no too dry
soy bean or chickpea paste truffles - also, will not spoil, pure protein
mushroom quishe - mushrooms keep well even 10 hours.
salted boiled black eyed beans.

look for those recipes....

Likes (0)

#603 Sun 16 Dec 12 2:35pm

flaming_amy

Member since Sun 16 Dec 12

Hi there,

I'm cooking a spiced, rolled pork belly at Christmas. I want to cook it a bit ahead and keep it warm until we're ready to eat. If I wrapped it in foil and a towel to keep warm for longer, would it affect the chrispy crackling? Steaming it to make it soft?

Appreciate the advice!

Likes (0)

#604 Sun 16 Dec 12 4:17pm

ann kotze

My husband has an aversion to vinegar and a garden full of beetroot he is about to harvest.  Help! Is there anyway to preserve beetroot without burying them in sand or pickling them in vinegar.  Could a preserve them inet they wine? Bet they would taste pretty nice done in red wine but will they last. Why not if peaches done in brandy lasts for months?

Likes (0)

#605 Sun 16 Dec 12 4:18pm

ann kotze

sorry about the typos in the previous post. Guess I hit the post button too quickly!

Likes (0)

#606 Sun 16 Dec 12 10:12pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

ShaShow wrote:

hello, i am a gigging musician and i also work in a performance theater as a technition where 16hr days arent uncommon. both of these mean i dont get to eat properly with only a microwave at the theater and nothing to cook with when on road.
so basically im after some recopies that are, or can be eaten, cold. not only that but they need to be able to keep out of a fridge for a good 8-10 hours.

thanks alot,
Matthew Willars

Hi Matthew,

One of Jamie's books has a nice little tip for you I think. It states that you could freeze one of those little packaged drinks and use them as a mini-refrigerator in your 'dinner'-box. From my professional point of view I think this will work at least for about 4-5 hours, although I am not sure if all the packages will last freezing and thawing. The cooling effect will last longer on a cold day like this, brr.

Another tip I have for you is to use a good coffee tumbler (think that's the right word for it in English) to keep liquid food HOT or to keep ice cold drinks cold. Those coffee tumblers have perfect isolation keeping all the heat or cold inside. This way you can still enjoy a nice hot soup or something.

Greetz

Likes (0)

#607 Tue 18 Dec 12 1:59am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Hi, flashcrow2000:

Usually I would say that if it's chewy, it needs to cook longer - but as it's roast beef, you're probably leaving it rare, so cooking for longer would be counterproductive.

My best guess is that it's the "fresh" thing that's causing your problem here. Jamie's recipes will all be assuming you're using meat that's been hung for a few weeks, as in the UK, that's the norm for quality beef. Hanging makes the meat tenderer and also reduces the water content, which will make it cook more quickly.

I don't know what part of the world you are in. I know hanging meat is not the norm in many areas of the world (particularly hotter climates). But wherever you are, if the beef you are using is fresh-killed, you will need to adapt Jamie's recipes to get a good result. I don't know how you should adapt them, as I've never had to do this myself, but you can't be the only one with this problem. Try Googling about until you find someone who has done this themselves and can give some guidance. Perhaps marinading is the answer - it's certainly one to look into.

You'll find the same issue with lamb and particularly game. Less so pork and poultry (although even these are hung for a few days here).

Likes (0)

#608 Tue 18 Dec 12 4:26am

rojatre

Member since Wed 07 Apr 10

Jamie. I have been a great fan since you started. Use all your recipes when they make sense

We are Vegan but have normal friends. I have cooked extraordinary meals for ten years where nobody knows the dishes are vegan (however we. Always
do your brined turkey)

I need suggestions for creative and different veggies to support the turkey. I can adopt most recipes to vegan standards - just need your best suggestions

Likes (0)

#609 Tue 18 Dec 12 9:10am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Potatoes can be roasted in oil, that's how I always do them.

I do carrots braised in butter and honey, but you could use oil and brown sugar. You just cut them up, toss them in it with some pepper, put in a dish covered with foil and cook along with the potatoes. I don't add salt to the carrots but that's up to you.

Vegan stuffing shouldn't be all that tricky, just make a breadcrumb based stuffing and use oil instead of butter. There are bound to be plenty of recipes online.

But am I understanding this right? You want to eat roast turkey but have vegan sides? That's... unusual.

Likes (0)

#610 Tue 18 Dec 12 12:09pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I think the turkey is for their guests.   I  am actually quite impressed that a vegan would be willing to cook a turkey   for friends or family.

How about miso/toasted sesame oil  glazed roasted cauliflower steaks ?

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)