Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 17 Dec 12 3:32pm

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

My Elephant's Ears Keep Falling Over

This year I'm making various palimers or elephant ears some might know them as. But I'm having a little difficulty with the actual baking and would appreciate some advice.

The recipes I've read say to stand them up on their ends, as shown in the Gordon Ramsay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ColSQnPFWJs  (1min 43 sec in), however, when I do this within four minutes the pastry topples over on its side causing a spill out. Can't figure out how to combat this.

Because I'm using puff pastry I can't use the other palmiers for support so how on earth can I keep them upright - any ideas.

Two possible reasons they are falling over is that I have a fan assisted oven and I'm wondering if the fan is actually blowing them over, or they topple when the pastry becomes moist. Iím thinking out loud here but another reason might be the palmiers are two full.

Any ideas as to why they topple over and what can I do to stop them?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 17 Dec 12 7:20pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: My Elephant's Ears Keep Falling Over

This is the first time that i have heard that they could be cooked 'upright', whenever i make Palmiers i slice and cook them flat once leaving them for a while in the freezer.

This is also Gordon Ramsay's recipe for Palmiers:
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c … ers-recipe

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 17 Dec 12 9:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

You need to cook them flat on a tray lined with baking parchment .
They will never cook standing up as the fat in the pastry softens as it cooks and they will just flip over  lol oh dear I can just imaging the struggle you have been having  lol( sorry I know I shouldn't laugh ).

So cook them flat with a good space around them , after they have cooked cool them and then you can stand them on their edge if you want ( and if they last that long  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 Dec 12 12:47am

Kye

Forum super champ

big_smile mummz wave

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 Dec 12 12:49am

Kye

Forum super champ

lol

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 18 Dec 12 1:11am

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

After my last post I went back to the drawing board and re-checked Ramsay's video, see link above, and yes I had them standing the way he stood his. So far so good. I then looked at the Channel 4 website, see Kye's post above and noticed one glaring fault. "slice into 1cm thick slices" mine were more like 2 1/2 cm.

I had a few large ones in the freezer and cut them into 1/4 inch sizes, placed one in the fridge for twenty minutes or so and the other back in the freezer. After the ones in the fridge had defrosted a little I baked them and the ones from the freezer. The results were much more impressive, I still have to get my temperature right (working on an old oven), and the ones put in from the freezer seemed to bake that little bit better. But I'll know better when I bake a larger batch, possibly tomorrow.

Last edited by kah22 (Tue 18 Dec 12 1:13am)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 18 Dec 12 1:08pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I have just watched the vidio link kah22 ... Mr Ramsey does not stand the Palmiers to cook , he lies them down on the baking tray .

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Dec 12 7:15pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I have no wisdom to add to this, I just wanted to congratulate you on a wonderful thread title.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 18 Dec 12 8:56pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

I agree totaly with hippytea
That said I think Jamie has just blogged Palmiers using the peppers advertised.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 18 Dec 12 10:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

@nGoose1 wrote:

I agree totaly with hippytea
That said I think Jamie has just blogged Palmiers using the peppers advertised.

It was on Jim's blog that these were mentioned and he made up the recipe as the part of a challange

Likes (0)