Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 25 Dec 09 11:20am

vegfoodie

Member since Fri 25 Dec 09

Re: Vegetarian Christmas Dinner

As a vegetarian I have to say the one thing I really don't like is substitute meat. IF I enjoyed the taste and texture of meat I'd eat it so please don't assume your veggie/vegan guest would enjoy quorn etc...
I would say make something inventive using vegetables & ensure the veggie can enjoy the trimmings (never understand why in restaurants veggie option often means having to forego roast potatoes!)
The idea of stuffing a squash with veg stuffing sounds divine!

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 14 Dec 11 11:58pm

mich2cook2

Member since Fri 02 Dec 11

Freechick wrote:

Seems a bit tame, but my two veggie nieces love my courgettes stuffed with sage and onion rissotto. I serve it with my speciality veggie sauce: whole carrots slow roasted in butter and then pureed with cream and lots of black pepper added. It's not a gravy and it's not vegan but you will actually die of pleasure when you taste it whether you're a vegetarian or not! big_smile

sounds wonderful - but
how do you make the sage and onion rissotto?

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 17 Dec 12 9:08am

Lovlight

Member since Sun 16 Dec 12

Little filo parcels are always nice for a veggie christmas option. Light enough to go with all the trimmings, and lots of filling options. This year I am trying filo parcels stuffed with a fondant butternut squash, pistachio rolled camembert ans a port and cranberry sauce. Doing a trial run this week so if you'd like the recipe let me know.  smile

Likes (3)

#14 Mon 17 Dec 12 11:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

vegfoodie wrote:

As a vegetarian I have to say the one thing I really don't like is substitute meat. IF I enjoyed the taste and texture of meat I'd eat it so please don't assume your veggie/vegan guest would enjoy quorn etc...
I would say make something inventive using vegetables & ensure the veggie can enjoy the trimmings (never understand why in restaurants veggie option often means having to forego roast potatoes!)
The idea of stuffing a squash with veg stuffing sounds divine!

I 100% agree that not all vegetarians like quorn .. I hate the stuff !

Roast potatoes I cook in a vegetable fat . Whilst I understand that most people enjoy goose fat roasted potatoes at Christmas dinner , if you have a vegetarian joining you for Christmas dinner then please just separate off a few of the potatoes begore the goose fat is added to roast seperatly in a vegetable fat/oil .

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 18 Dec 12 2:17am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I was re-watching Jamie's Family Christmas, and he did roasties in several different fats to see which ones were best. He actually said the ones done in butter were great.

I always do them in oil and they are fabulous. No doubt goose fat is wonderful, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 14 Oct 13 1:26pm

MsCherry

Member since Mon 14 Oct 13

Could I please have the recipe Lovlight?

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 14 Oct 13 4:03pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

hippytea wrote:

I was re-watching Jamie's Family Christmas, and he did roasties in several different fats to see which ones were best. He actually said the ones done in butter were great.

I always do them in oil and they are fabulous. No doubt goose fat is wonderful, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

That is the way I was taught to make them in France by a professional chef - in butter.  They are so good done that way.  My favorite is duck fat though.

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 23 Oct 13 7:18am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

Here's a festive meal everyone at the table will enjoy.
Broccoli, Cannellini Bean & Cheddar Soup
Spinach Salad with Warm Maple Dressing
Roasted Winter Vegetables with Cheesy Polenta
Pecan-Cranberry Tart

Likes (0)