forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Mon 10 Dec 12 12:25pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Diabetes Advice

Terry, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the early 90s and as my doc said to me, "Eat anything in moderation."  No need to go without.  If you monitor your blood sugars regularly, it will give you a clue.  Leave out the choccy, cakes and just a little fat/cheese.  High fibre veg/fruit is good, especially with the skins on where you can.  My blood sugars are always around 5.0 - 5.3 so I and my doc are happy.  We are all different and you have to find food that suits you personally.  Good luck and keep up the pole dancing! yummy

Likes (0)

#52 Tue 18 Dec 12 5:36am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

hippytea wrote:

TerryKay wrote:

That ****ing blanked out ****ing word in my previous ****ing posting, was very ****ing innocent word. Blanking it out makes the posting look ****ing worse than it was.

I feel your pain. Vis my recent post re spatchc*cked turkey.

HAHAHAHAHA
I just wet myself laughing.
You really are an as*et to the site and should be ent*tled to a b*mper helping of spatchc*cked turkey br**st with a st*ff kn*b of b*tter at the Jamie O***** Xmas sh*ndig. help  oops  big_smile

Likes (0)

#53 Tue 18 Dec 12 5:49am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

JerryR wrote:

Artificial sweeteners can be used in moderation, eg Canderel, Saccharin, Hermesetas. Use tablet sweeteners for drinks and powdered sweeteners for cereals, custard and milk puddings, etc. Limit ordinary cheese to lb a week. smile

I don't use any sugar in drinks and have become very happy with that. In my porridge I mix in a little dessicated coconut and that DELICIOUS or have Weetabix plain and am enjoying those too. Many so called health cereals have added sugars and need careful attention when buying. Same with drinks. Pure coconut water is the most in tune isotonic drink around. So in tune with the bodys blood that it can be used as blood plasma. The pure ones are 4.2g of sugar per 100g. I found one though that looked healthy and had 65g of sugar per 330ml can. That's nearly double of the sugars of regular Coke Cola. Its a really dangerous world unless you really read the small print. shocked

Likes (0)

#54 Tue 18 Dec 12 5:59am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Terry have you been checking out Jamie's 15 minute meals? I am finding them really inspiring with the quick, healthy tips.

On the other hand, I sympathise! Hope you can wing it without hurting your health, until things start stop feeling so ****ing awful!

Yeah I've been recording them and there are a few I may be able to use. Got several diabetic recipe books (some of which are rubbish). Inspiration is difficult though. I think I'm in a transition period where my old taste buds are still learning to get excited by healthy food. At the moment most of it still looks like it would have a better home in a rabbit hutch. puke  I'm gradually getting different tastes though.

Likes (0)

#55 Tue 18 Dec 12 6:00am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Kiwiboy wrote:

Might be a fairly stupid question, but are you a type one or two diabetic?

Type 2

Likes (0)

#56 Tue 18 Dec 12 6:06am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Thistledo wrote:

Terry, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in the early 90s and as my doc said to me, "Eat anything in moderation."  No need to go without.  If you monitor your blood sugars regularly, it will give you a clue.  Leave out the choccy, cakes and just a little fat/cheese.  High fibre veg/fruit is good, especially with the skins on where you can.  My blood sugars are always around 5.0 - 5.3 so I and my doc are happy.  We are all different and you have to find food that suits you personally.  Good luck and keep up the pole dancing! yummy

My blood sugars aren't quite that regular and fluctuate between 4.5 to 7 (not too bad for a beginner and although I've lost over 2 stone, I'm still over weight.) Getting on bike after christmas so that should help too.
Cheers mate. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#57 Tue 18 Dec 12 11:13am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Want to add something else here.  Please do not buy 'Diabetic foods'.  They're rubbish and a con.  Some of the sweetening agents used are not healthy either.  I was advised that when first diagnosed and referred to a dietician.
End of sermon  big_smile

Likes (0)

#58 Tue 18 Dec 12 3:00pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Thistledo wrote:

Want to add something else here.  Please do not buy 'Diabetic foods'.  They're rubbish and a con.  Some of the sweetening agents used are not healthy either.  I was advised that when first diagnosed and referred to a dietician.
End of sermon  big_smile

No, I don't. Processed foods got me into this trouble to start with (partly and in my opinion anyway) I don't touch them with a barge pole now. For convenience food, I cook massive batches and freeze it in portion size tubs or bags. Also I eat a big load before considering portioning up, as it helps me to stick to human portion sizes if I'm already full.

Likes (0)

#59 Sat 12 Jan 13 1:01pm

LisaLove2Cook

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

Hi,
Hope this helps.. All bran is a good cereal to have as its low Gi
Ive switched from potatoes to sweet potatoes mashed with a little flora margarine and garlic granuels to make it less sweet and more savoury.
White potatoes are ok but leave the skin on to make it lower Gi also.
If you need ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner then I will jot a few down below.

BREAKFAST:
1 granary slice toasted with poached egg, grilled mushrooms and 1 slice of bacon
Or
All~bran with semi or skimmed milk with a little banana
Or
Natural yogurt with fruit of your choice (banana & raspberries is my fave)

LUNCH:
2 nimble slices with chicken, lettuce & a little mayo
Or
2 nimble slices with tomato, tuna, olive oil & sprinkle of black pepper
Or
Chunky vegetable soup with 1 slice of granary bread

MAIN MEAL:
Fish, chicken or lamb with steamed vegetables and roast sweet potato with a little gravy
Or
Wholewheat pasta with meat and veg
Or
Chilli con carne (make it your self and bulk it up with kidney beans and peppers)

If on occasion you fancy a curry night opt for lentil, chickpea and spinach curry with supermarket mini wholemeal chappati and tzatziki.

Hope this helps.. I'm also type 2 and it is daunting @ first as you start to question every thing you eat and panic about how your feeling when you do eat.
I just try and swap whites for brown or granary (you do get used to it) add veg and less sugar.. It is not always easy but as long as you are making changes your heading in the right direction smile

Likes (0)

#60 Sat 12 Jan 13 1:03pm

LisaLove2Cook

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

P.s nimble bread is lower in carbs and once filled with meat & salad its filling  thumbsup

Likes (0)