forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 20 Dec 12 3:30am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Re: I'm suffering from heavy handed cooking syndrome. Am I alone?

MsPablo wrote:

Aaah Terry, I am intrigued by the Actifry.  So, you really like it?

I go through phases where I douse finished dishes with sesame oil, soy sauce and sweet chili sauce and I use garlic in a lot of my cooking . . . I think if you eat a lot of garlic, you start to need more in order for it to be garlicky enough.

Yeah the Actifry is legendary for roast spuds. Also, as it uses such a minute amount of fat, you can be extravagant in buying costly oils and decadant with naughty but nice fat such as goose. tongue

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 20 Dec 12 3:48am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

mummza wrote:

TerryKay wrote:

Hahahaha. Serves you right.  wink  tongue
When I cook for the kids I have to think, "How bland can I make this?" If it tastes grey and drab they love it. Put a few specks of spice in, and they are running around claiming that their teeth are melting. shocked

Goodness Terry , thats a problem , when my children were small they loved flavour , spices as well , they loved curries or dishes cooked  with wine added .
In fact they ate anything !

Oh I wished. They are gradually developing taste buds but still look tazered if they have anything over mild. oops
Please ignore me sounding as though I'm a fat bully and watch them cooking here. Cooking is helping them to be more adventurous.
http://youtu.be/aNUeQHme2mk

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 20 Dec 12 4:05am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

@nGoose1 wrote:

You can add, but you can't take away.
Can't eat spicy food? waaaaaah!!
There have been a few, oh no thatís too much experiences with my cooking for sure.
Someoneís got to try the chilli custard, not me though.
I like finding new ingredients, sometimes at a price, lots of research first perhaps. Some serious letdowns, Alexandraís for one, foraged, so no financial loss.
Thatís reminded me of a new post to start.

I've always wanted to try Alexandras. Got a forragers food book which is pukka, but not got round to Alexanders.
I'm going to say that phrase everytime I add ingredients.
You can add, but you can't take away.
Brilliant. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 20 Dec 12 4:15am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

dhartley wrote:

I suffer badly from this phenomenon too!

Hooray a soul mate. When I started this thread, I thought that very few of the J.O. Allstars would be anything but legends of refinement and taste with the use of ingredients, and if they did share my pain there'd never admit it.
I'm surprised at everyone's candid disgraceful confessions.
Ah the sins of spice. oops
Idea for a book title-- The Korma Sutra shocked

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 20 Dec 12 8:55am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Terry:  Re Actifry.  OK, so it's good for roast spuds and chips.  What else do you use it for?  An expensive gadget just for spuds and chips.

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 20 Dec 12 9:05am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

MsPablo wrote:

I think if you eat a lot of garlic, you start to need more in order for it to be garlicky enough.

A typical gateway drug. Once you're completely jaded to garlic, you have to start adding chilli, curry powder and five spice to everything to make it taste of something. Look at India. A whole country trapped in spice addiction. And I bet it all started several thousand years ago with one clove of garlic.

Not Even Once.

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 20 Dec 12 9:47am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Thistledo wrote:

Terry:  Re Actifry.  OK, so it's good for roast spuds and chips.  What else do you use it for?  An expensive gadget just for spuds and chips.

Loads of stuff. Mushrooms, onions, peppers, veg, even perks up yesterdays chips like shop fresh.
It doesn't do everything a frying pan can, ie fried eggs etc, but it does a large portion of the stuff a pan can. Their own advertising shoots them in the foot a bit by just mentioning chips. In the same way, my halogen oven does more than just jacket potatoes, and my microwave does more the reheat Ginsters Pasties. Everything has limitations. The health benefits alone make it a must have accessory.

Likes (0)