#621 Fri 21 Dec 12 6:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

cmcconnell1031 wrote:

I have looked everywhere from Cranberry Jam, for Turkey Wellington, where do I get it???  Can I use Cranberry Sauce or Jelly???

Thanks
Carole

Welcome to the forum Carole, smile
I am not sure which country that you live in and so its hard to recomend a product. ( I live in the UK )

I never use bought cranberry sauce but I had to tip some Ocean Spry cranberry jelly out of jars recently for someone else and I was amazed how dense the 'jelly' was .
To me it looked like it would not melt .
It was not like the redcurrent jelly that we can buy here , which is clear and fairly soft set.
The cranberry 'jelly ' that I used was opaque and fairly dense textures , I mashed it uo to make it easier to seperate between some dishes.

So if you are in the UK that might be worth looking at.

Likes (0)

#622 Fri 21 Dec 12 8:21pm

Madmac61

Member since Fri 21 Dec 12

Hi Jamie
I wanted to make your two pastry mince pies for a family get together next wknd ( without the cracked black pepper ...that was great  smile poor G .) but I can't source soured cranberries .Will be using the normal sweetened for the mo but want to try the soured ones .
cheers mucker
merry xmas to you and your family
Roger

Likes (0)

#623 Fri 21 Dec 12 9:25pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

hippytea wrote:

Maree - I had no idea asafoetida had that power. I think I need to buy some right now!

Kind of ironic given its own powerful pong wink

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#624 Fri 21 Dec 12 11:36pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Cranberry sauce, jelly  yummy i often serve black cherry sauce with rich meat dishes and cheese plates.

Likes (0)

#625 Sat 22 Dec 12 1:06am

Maree

Forum super champ

Just had a look in the pantry re cranberry sauce.

The one I use for work is "Ocean "Spray" Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce. "Ocean Spray" also sell a "jelly-like" cranberry sauce here that is not up to scratch *for my needs*.

Likes (0)

#626 Sat 22 Dec 12 2:03am

cook11uk

Member since Fri 21 Dec 12

Re the pork shanks - I will play safe and throw them out to the badgers/foxes - it is not worth the risk!  I will phone round the butchers and see if I can source the 'cured' type needed for the recipe, I may as well do it properly.  I didn't think it would be difficult to get a cut of meat this time of year, especially as it is for a Jamie recipe and therefore, no doubt, lots of people in same boat as me!

Re the cranberry sauce - I bought cranberry jelly this year and everyone prefers it in sandwiches to the type with berries in.  Has same flavour just no berry skins.

Likes (0)

#627 Sat 22 Dec 12 12:48pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I think food writers like Jamie do try to check if ingredients are readily available, but they don't always get it right. And there is so much variation. I can't get ham hocks here at all - we have a thing called "ham hough" but it is cut much lower down the leg, so it's really just the hock joint, bones and skin with a very small amount of meat on it, great for soup but not the big meaty cut a lot of recipes call for. I think Scottish hams are just butchered differently, and the meat that would be on an English ham hock ends up on the actual ham.

So it can be difficult. I'd tell the butcher a bit about the recipe so that if he can't get a ham hock, he can find you something else that will work instead.

Likes (0)

#628 Sat 22 Dec 12 1:14pm

Maree

Forum super champ

That's interesting, Hippy. Ham hocks are available year round in the two major supermarkets.

Always have one in the fridge for comforting pea and ham soup. Must admit, though, that I'm concerned re their long "best by" date.

Likes (0)

#629 Sat 22 Dec 12 2:57pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've never seen them here. What supermarkets stock varies depending on where you are, and supermarkets in Scotland for the most part stock Scottish cuts of meat, even if they're a UK-wide chain. I believe in most supermarkets the ordering is in the hands of a manager within the individual store, or an area manager, not headquarters, as they have to respond to differing demands in different areas.

Which makes it even more difficult for recipe writers!

Likes (0)

#630 Sat 22 Dec 12 3:09pm

Maree

Forum super champ

And recipe cookers, Hippy hmm.

Likes (0)