forum: Everything else

#1 Tue 25 Dec 12 12:37am

cook11uk

Member since Fri 21 Dec 12

Cooked Turkey leftovers - how long can I keep in fridge?

I cooked a turkey crown on Thursday 20th for an early Xmas dinner as my daughter was going away- we had loads left for sandwiches but here we are with a second turkey crown to cook tomorrow for the big day - 8 to feed -  and I still have a box of turkey breast meat in the fridge. 

Is it ok to freeze Thursday's leftover meat?  There;s enough to do a curry or something for new year.  I never usually have enough once sandwiches have been made Xmas Day/ Boxing Day.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 25 Dec 12 10:10am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Cooked Turkey leftovers - how long can I keep in fridge?

cook11uk.  Personally, I'd bin last Thursday's leftover turkey.  A bit too long in the fridge, me thinks.  I would be very dubious in feeding anyone with that.

Likes (0)

#3 Yesterday 12:56pm

missmayamistry

Member since Wed 07 Dec 16

Hi I found this really useful chart that tells you how long to store turkey in fridge and freezer as well as all the trimmings.

Turkey is 3 - 4 days in fridge smile

Likes (0)

#4 Today 4:26am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I would also now discard Thursdays left over cooked turkey .. I know it's a waste (and believe me just hate wasting food ) but it's better to be safe than sorry .
It will have by now been in and out of the fridge for things like sandwiches so had fluctuating temperatures ,remember  you can't always see or smell bacterial growth and the meat will have both dried a bit and lost some taste .

If if cooked the meat the day before I might have frozen some of the leftovers but not this late on , it's almost a week . So it's definitely best discarded .

If there is any leftovers from the turkey crown you could make a pie with the remaining meat , gravy ( if there is not enough then add remaining gravy and any meat juices to a white / bachamel sauce ) with either a pastry or a mashed potato topping . A pie is one of my family's favourite ways of using leftover turkey .

If itsss whole turkey I strip the meat of the carcass and simmer the carcass for stock to make into soup  ( I usually do this on the afternoon of Christmas Day or morning of Boxing Day at the latest . ) I then strain of the stick and make the soup . some of the meat gets added to the soup

Likes (0)

#5 Today 4:27am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

missmayamistry wrote:

Hi I found this really useful chart that tells you how long to store turkey in fridge and freezer as well as all the trimmings.

Turkey is 3 - 4 days in fridge smile

Very useful chart , what website did you find it on please .

Likes (0)