Member since Mon 24 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

hippytea wrote:

Hi Henny,

Is it these?
<snipped because of regulations>
If so, you can make them yourself.

Merry Christmas!

I don't know as yesterday he said he bought it in a store. and they are tiny, not so big as the "normal" lemons...
Thanks for the answer anyway
and Merry Christmas to you too
smile

Likes (0)

#663 Wed 26 Dec 12 1:06am

killatilla

Occupation Primary School Teacher
From Adelaide, Australia
Member since Tue 25 Dec 12

Hey. I love the boards that Jamie uses to prepare and serve on 15 Minute Meals and 30 Minute Meals. Some of them look home made - how do you make them, and what paint do you use that is food-safe?

Likes (0)

#664 Thu 27 Dec 12 2:31pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Interesting question about the boards.

Food-safe paint - that's difficult, I'm not sure at all. As for bare boards, you need to be a bit careful what kinds of wood you use with food. I believe fruit wood is usually safe (apple, pear, cherry etc.). Avoid softwoods as they can have toxic resins; some hardwoods are also unsuitable. And be careful buying wood, as a lot of wood intended for building or woodworking is treated with preservatives which you don't want in your food.

I read somewhere that in the USA you can buy food-grade planks at barbecue suppliers - maybe there's something like that in your area, or online? Otherwise, do a bit of research into safe woods for use with food. Woods used for barbecue chippings might be a good start.

Likes (0)

#665 Fri 28 Dec 12 10:58am

hotcupasoup

Member since Fri 23 Nov 12

maria,who i live with for the past 40 years,says i stink of manoeure yesterday just coming out of tescos and into the car!!! i didnt say anything...but how rude is that???!!!???!!! i hardly said a word to provoke things further!!! she like said it out loud im ****!!! is ganario that rude to you? cos i wouldnt like that treatment all the time from him aswell...plus maybe ramsey in with the full english f off!!! do you know what i mean? if i was with you...

Likes (0)

#666 Fri 28 Dec 12 12:50pm

Frugalmonkey

From Western Australia
Member since Tue 24 Apr 12

Hi Jamie,
Just got a pasta maker Christmas. First stop, your fresh tagliatelle with sprouting broccoli and oozy cheese sauce. Being new to making my own pasta, with tagliatelle, fettuccine and similar pasta's, what thickness setting should I be finishing on?

Cheers mate
Love your work

Likes (0)

#667 Fri 28 Dec 12 1:32pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

About to make some butter.  I've got 1200ml double cream.  I like salty butter, so how much salt do you think I should introduce, please?  Bit scared of overdoing it.

Likes (0)

#668 Sat 29 Dec 12 12:28am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I would work the salt in after you make the butter.   you  should knead  out the rest of the whey anyway , so once that is almost done add  less than you think you need   , give it a taste and then work up to what you like. .. keep track for next time.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#669 Sat 29 Dec 12 2:25am

ScottFurlong

Member since Fri 06 Feb 09

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of doing a roast pork and I wanted to do roast apple, fennel and pears? Does this work? I was going to put olive oil and I was thinking either balsamic vinegar or some red or white wine vinegar not really sure, any suggestion?

Regards,
Scott

Likes (0)

#670 Sat 29 Dec 12 11:03am

DAS

Member since Fri 28 Dec 12

Hi Jamie

I have been watching you since i was about 5 and i have always loved your style of cooking. You have been my inspiration along with genaro you two together are the best. I have recently applied for a placement in northampton college for a professional chef diploma i may just be 15 but i am just so passionate about the preparation and serving of food.

So my question is this what was your inspiration to start cooking and do you have any tips?

Thanks if you get the chance to read this i hope to hear back from you soon.

David Smith clap  wink

Likes (0)