forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 09 Nov 11 11:04am

dustieb45

Member since Wed 09 Nov 11

Low Carb Eating

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help, I have to have a low carb diet, and the things I miss the most is bread/cakes and baking or making pies etc.

Is there anyone out there that is in a similar situation or can help or has any suggestions. 

Here's hoping...

Chrissie  big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 10 Nov 11 9:45am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Low Carb Eating

Hi Chrissie

I have been eating a very low carb diet for nearly a year now, and can sympathise with you!  All I will say is that, the longer you eat low carb, the less you will miss certain items  big_smile   But, in the meantime, might I suggest that you head over to this blog, where you will find some scrumptious recipes and ideas - but do bear in mind that low carb baking really is for occasional use only ...

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Hope that helps, and good luck  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 25 Dec 12 6:19am

RaddaRadda

Member since Tue 25 Dec 12

This is a little late, but I wanted to see if you still have the same cravings?

I started just before you (October 13, 2012).  I too did it for health reasons. (Worried about blood sugar levels)  I am overweight but I really didn't know about lowcarb...thought that anything with added fat was bad, etc...
So I started at about 120g carbs a day, read up on the theory more, and within a few weeks, went to <30g a day.

I thought it was going to be hell.  I was a vegetarian (Well, still ate dairy, eggs and seafood), and MOST of my food prior to this was carbs.  And I was a Coke (a cola) addict.  But not having potatoes, bread, pasta, rice AND meat?  That was too much.  Now I eat meat again.  With all the stuff I can eat now (Bacon, butter, cream, cheese) without guilt, I am too satisfied now to worry about carbs.  And crazily enough, I am eating way more vegetables now than when I was a vegetarian.  Spinach, broccoli ...all the time now.

But by now, I don't crave carbs.  I was at an End of the World party on Dec 21.  Plenty of candy and cakes.  I splurged and had half an Almond Roca bar.  Enough to get the great taste, but not enough to affect me. 

Someday, I will bring back in beans and more fruit.  But I am DONE with processed carbs.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 25 Dec 12 1:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

RaddaRadda wrote:

This is a little late, but I wanted to see if you still have the same cravings?

I started just before you (October 13, 2012).  I too did it for health reasons. (Worried about blood sugar levels)  I am overweight but I really didn't know about lowcarb...thought that anything with added fat was bad, etc...
So I started at about 120g carbs a day, read up on the theory more, and within a few weeks, went to <30g a day.

I thought it was going to be hell.  I was a vegetarian (Well, still ate dairy, eggs and seafood), and MOST of my food prior to this was carbs.  And I was a Coke (a cola) addict.  But not having potatoes, bread, pasta, rice AND meat?  That was too much.  Now I eat meat again.  With all the stuff I can eat now (Bacon, butter, cream, cheese) without guilt, I am too satisfied now to worry about carbs.  And crazily enough, I am eating way more vegetables now than when I was a vegetarian.  Spinach, broccoli ...all the time now.

But by now, I don't crave carbs.  I was at an End of the World party on Dec 21.  Plenty of candy and cakes.  I splurged and had half an Almond Roca bar.  Enough to get the great taste, but not enough to affect me. 

Someday, I will bring back in beans and more fruit.  But I am DONE with processed carbs.

Low carb is the way to go if you are trying to lose weight, break an addiction to sugar and processed food, and increase your energy.  A no-carb lifestyle is virtually impossible for me, but low carb is doable.  It automatically makes you eat more protein and vegetables and after a few days of doing that you start to FEEL really good.  I've been trying to low-carb for several months and I'm finally getting the hang of it.

...of course now it's really hard that my mother is in town visiting us and baking up a storm.  Let's just say I've had my share of Christmas cookies lately.  But I have no fear that I'll be back on track by new years smile

It may be worth it for you to look into the paleolithic diet if low-carbing works for you.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 25 Dec 12 9:24pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Heading now towards the end of year 2 of low-carbing.   Weight has stayed stable (but haven't yet lost all the weight I want to), my health has improved out of all recognition (gone from pre-diabetic to normal blood sugars, staved off a knee replacement operation, very rarely get ill any more, cholesterol is down, mood is up, etc).  I do follow a paleo diet these days and can honestly say that I wouldn't go back to the way I was eating before as, despite what may seem a restrictive way of eating, it gives me so much more freedom than I had before health-wise!

Likes (0)