forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 26 Dec 12 1:53pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

What was Christmas Dinner?

Merry Christmas to all!  For me, Santa came early and broke my oven  sad   so I had to improvise Christmas dinner on the quick, sans oven!

Nibbles
- melba rounds topped with camembert and fig jam
- sopressata
- mushroom crostini (Jamie's recipe of course)

Dinner
- smoked prime rib (on the outdoor grill hehe)
- au jus
- pomme puree (a la Robouchon)
- brussel sprouts with bacon and pine nuts
- shaved fennel salad with apples, pomegranates and pecans

Dessert
- Rice pudding with spiced cranberry compote
- a selection of port, brandy, and coffee

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 26 Dec 12 4:08pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: What was Christmas Dinner?

tomato and red pepper soup to start

roast turkey
Roast potatoes ( disaster , over browned !)
sausage meat stuffing
pigs in blankets
sprouts , green beans ,parsnips, carrots ,creamed leeks
Chestnuts in a creamy lemon sauce
fresh cranberry sauce
turkey gravey

desert would have been ...

pannacotta with raspberries
or Heston;s hidden orange christmas pudding
mince pies and cream

but no one could eat another thing !

In the evening , those that wanted had a cheese board with some port.
to go with th meal we were meant to have a selection of wines but we seemed to just stick with the apperatif cocktail of raspberries that had been macerated i gin and then this was added to the glasses which was champagne !

today , Boxing day in the UK we have had the left over veg and some boiled potato made into 'Bubble and squeek' this was eaen with cold ham and cold turkey.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 26 Dec 12 11:50pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

fusilli with kale-garlic-anchovies-pecorino romano
roasted homegrown turkey with radicchios and ardilut
musetti and brovada
fruits, panettoni, homemade ones, torrone, wonderful biscuits ..... a guitar concert at the very end around 9 in the evening big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 27 Dec 12 1:09am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

I also have eaten too much, is it me or is the quality street ratio not right? I was lucky enough to have Amedei no. 9 and Valrhona  100% powder  sent to me, for Christmas. I also invested in Willies chocolate. His 100% is £3:99 in Waitrose go buy some!
Highlight of yesterday was wild Canada goose, Raspberry hazelnut pavalova, Turkey was superb. It was great to be with the family. Venison today, was also amazing. Devon is so good.
The English Chardonnay I brought to the table was well received. Alas I am an ex alcoholic, so had to rely on other people’s comments. Tesco’s selling it £8:99.
Some nice things being cooked by others (all of the above).

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 27 Dec 12 8:42am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

As we are only two persons, it really isn't worth cooking a turkey dinner at home, so we went out to a restaurant (as usual).

Turkey (and turkey gravy), roast potatoes, broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, chestnut stuffing, and someone brought cranberry sauce. Mince pies and brandy sauce to follow.

It wasn't a patch on my mother's Christmas dinner, not my ex wife's but for Sterling 17.00 (USD 26.00) for both of us including beer and wine, one cannot really complain.

Y

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 27 Dec 12 8:58am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

We had roast goose stuffed with onions and apples, roast potatoes, roast Brussels sprouts, steamed carrots and gravy.  Then we had Christmas pudding with brandy butter.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 27 Dec 12 10:23am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

At the risk of sounding boring, we had fillet steaks, mushrooms, tomatoe and sauteed potatoes/onion.  Tipped a slug of red into the pan, cooked off the alcohol and that made a lovely sauce.  Followed by mincemeat and apple pie (homemade of course) with cream.  Yet to have our Christmas pudding.  We'll have that when we can do it justice.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 27 Dec 12 10:38am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

thats not boring at all .
I think I would much rather cook that that a turkey !

Coking the turkey is something I hate , to me its the worst part of Christmas, but , my family love it and they love all those meals that come along with using up he turkey.
Yesterday we had bubble and squeek made with the left over vegetables and they had cold turkey and cold ham to go with it .

I have simmered all the turkey bones and made a stock which will be made into turkey soup... always a favorite and then I will make   a turkey 'pie' with a but with a filling based around a bachamel sauce with the remainder of the turkey gravy added in plus plenty of meat and veg with a mashed potato topping then that will be the end of the turkey !

I keep aking noises thatmaybe they would all like to eat something other than turkey each year but they all seem to have a bot of a hearing problem  lol

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 27 Dec 12 12:51pm

ambie

Occupation Busy mum
From Wiltshire
Member since Wed 26 Dec 12

I must be one of those really irritating people who actually not only look forward to, but also enjoy cooking the Christmas dinner!
It's not the easiest cooking a big turkey dinner for 5 with our tiny cooker but there's nothing better than the smell of the Christmas dinner cooking while the children are enjoying their presents, my mother always made such an effort so I like to follow in her footsteps and do the same for my family.
We had a golden looking turkey stuffed with fresh herbs and clementine both inside and under the skin. Roasted chestnut and sausage meat stuffing, roast potatoes (Jamie style of course), honey roast parsnips, buttery Brussel sprouts carrots and chestnuts, pigs in blankets, braised red cabbage, turkey neck gravy (the cat was very excited) and of course mince pies and cream for dessert (only we were all too full for those).  smile

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 27 Dec 12 1:55pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Mummza, I gave up roasting a turkey some years ago.  I've always thought it very overrated and that the attraction was the accompaniments;  pigs in blankets, sprouts with chestnuts//bacon, bread and cranberry sauce, etc.
We usually have a lovely joint of sirloin but because of health issues this year, decided on something quick, like the steaks.  We weren't disappointed but I miss my sirloin.
Don't you all get sick of turkey by the end of December?  Perhaps you put the remainder in the freezer to enjoy later?

Likes (0)