forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 27 Dec 12 1:56pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: What was Christmas Dinner?

I too really enjoy cooking Christmas dinner, or any dinner really.

Mummza, telling me about those creamy chestnuts!

You know, it turned out to be a good thing that our oven broke down.  Keeping the prime rib outside really freed up my kitchen smile  It was a 4-boned roast but I deboned it and it only took 2hrs to cook to a beautiful medium rare.  I used the bones the previous day to make a lovely stock out of which I made soup that day, held some stock for the Christmas jus, and stocked my freezer too.  Deboned is the way to go in a pinch.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 27 Dec 12 2:42pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

We had pancakes (drop scones) while opening our presents (reheated from the day before, I can't be bothered with pancake batter on Christmas morning) and then porridge to set us up for the day.

For lunch we had the standard Christmas dinner:

Vegetable broth (thanks Mum!)

Turkey (steamed in slow cooker then browned in the oven, skin was lovely and crispy, breast meat a hair overcooked but it's difficult to get it just right if you go gallivanting while it's cooking - it was a bit over temp when it came out of the slow cooker! Never mind)

Ham (a lovely free range ham from a nearby farm  - we had planned to steam and bake, but it took longer than expected so we ended up just boiling it and not baking)

Roast potatoes - these were AMAZING - I parboiled, fluffed and froze them 2 days before and tipped them into hot fat while still frozen - the CRISPIEST roasties I have ever had, as well as the easiest, took no longer to roast than usual, will definitely do this again!

Carrots braised with butter, honey and pepper; green beans braised with lemon juice and honey; and sprouts. I just steamed them in the end, this worked well as they took the same time to steam as we took to eat our soup;

Sausages from the same farm as the ham;

Gravy made with the fabulous jellied stock you get in the bottom of the slow cooker when you steam a bird;

And stuffing. I cheated. I am not ashamed. Thank you, Paxo!

Yesterday we had a big family pot luck, as is our tradition. We took meatballs in tomato sauce, made with turkey mince for the sake of my MIL, who can't have beef or much fat; she can have pork or lamb but they are usually too fatty in mince form.

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 27 Dec 12 11:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No Thistledo my family don't get sick of turkey , I get one that is between 12 and 14 lbs but it never seems to last long .

We tend to get one roast meal on Christmas Day and they do raid it a bit later in the evening.
One cold meat meal , usually with the bubble and squeak on Boxing Day.
A large pan of soup
And a pie.

They always complain when it's all gone !

Last edited by mummza (Sat 29 Dec 12 6:38am)

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 28 Dec 12 8:05am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

Yesterday we had bubble and squeek made with the left over vegetables and they had cold turkey and cold ham to go with it .

That's what I really miss by eating out. The left overs!

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Y

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 28 Dec 12 9:30am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

The usual roast lunch.
Pork with crackling, glazed ham and a stuffed chicken.
Served with rosemary potatoes, white and orange sweet potato, pumpkin, plus steamed cobs of corn, beans, parsnips, carrots.
Apple sauce, gravy and cranberry sauce.
All served on large platters for people to help themselves.

Dessert was trifle and ice cream and a few chocolates.

We did have a lot of leftovers but that is half the fun of it, being creative with the remains of Christmas lunch.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 28 Dec 12 10:52am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

beerforyorky wrote:

mummza wrote:

Yesterday we had bubble and squeek made with the left over vegetables and they had cold turkey and cold ham to go with it .

That's what I really miss by eating out. The left overs!

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Y

It's always what the family look forward to . They love eating the leftovers .

Last edited by mummza (Sat 29 Dec 12 6:39am)

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 29 Dec 12 4:05am

greenkitchen

Occupation Radio
From Sugar Land, Texas USA
Member since Sun 25 Nov 07

Thistledo wrote:

Mummza, I gave up roasting a turkey some years ago.  I've always thought it very overrated and that the attraction was the accompaniments;  pigs in blankets, sprouts with chestnuts//bacon, bread and cranberry sauce, etc.
We usually have a lovely joint of sirloin but because of health issues this year, decided on something quick, like the steaks.  We weren't disappointed but I miss my sirloin.
Don't you all get sick of turkey by the end of December?  Perhaps you put the remainder in the freezer to enjoy later?

Thistledo, I agree about turkey being overrated  exclaim

We slow roasted baby back ribs in the oven and served them with roasted potatoes & salad.  Then we had a nice big chocolate layer cake with vanilla ice cream for pudding.   thumbsup

Last edited by greenkitchen (Sat 29 Dec 12 4:05am)

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 29 Dec 12 12:19pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

Well, 2/3 of the family was ill, so they weren't hungry at all.
To make it Christmas nonetheless I made an excellent steak and ale pie with some mashed potato and some veggies. I was planning on making creme brulee for dessert but skipped it because nobody was hungry anymore (in fact I think I ate half of the steak pie) tongue

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 29 Dec 12 4:50pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Christmas Dinner: Herbed Goat Cheese, Pate, Crackers for starters.  Roasted Peking Duck stuffed with Apples (Peking Breed, not dish) Giblet Gravy, Braised Red Cabbage, Steamed Broccoli, Field Greens dressed with Walnut oil vinaigrette.  Dessert - Forgotten Kisses

For Boxing Day: Cold Roast Duck, Basque-style duck mousse, Field Greens, Marinated Red Cabbage, homemade Pickled Onions, Cumberland Sauce and Bengali Chutney, Bread.

I had enough duck to make 'arroz de pato' and enough duck liver to make pate.  The other pate and mousse were purchased - the Basque-style was fantastic, will have to splurge on that again next year.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 29 Dec 12 4:52pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 29 Dec 12 6:40pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

MsPablo wrote:

Dessert - Forgotten Kisses

This sounds intriguing, poignant and rather sad. Any chance of a recipe?

Likes (0)