forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21421 Fri 28 Dec 12 8:10am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Whats For Supper?

Tonight we are going to have calamari / squid three ways, coriander / cilantro prawns and a selection of sides and salads. Followed by leftover birthday cake and fresh berries.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#21422 Fri 28 Dec 12 11:37pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

simple tonight...steak and steamed broccoli...chocolate ice cream for dessert.

Likes (0)

#21423 Sat 29 Dec 12 12:41am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

shrimp and grits.      My first go at them and soo good..  good to the point I will have to either source some tasso ham or make my own.   Nora Mill yellow grits from georgia, that a  friend had shipped up and graciously shared with me.

I subbed out the tasso for some fresh smoked lean plain sidebacon from a local deli which i chopped into fairly small pieces then seasoned with a spice mix of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika   and chili de arbol.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#21424 Sat 29 Dec 12 2:22am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Ashen wrote:

shrimp and grits.      My first go at them and soo good..  good to the point I will have to either source some tasso ham or make my own.   Nora Mill yellow grits from georgia, that a  friend had shipped up and graciously shared with me.

I subbed out the tasso for some fresh smoked lean plain sidebacon from a local deli which i chopped into fairly small pieces then seasoned with a spice mix of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika   and chili de arbol.

They are awesome aren't  they?

You could also use andouille sausage if you can get it.  Sometimes I leave that out completely and just use the shrimp.

Is it a cream sauce recipe or a tomato?

Likes (0)

#21425 Sat 29 Dec 12 9:15am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Beef and red pepper stew with mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

Likes (0)

#21426 Sat 29 Dec 12 9:27am

Maree

Forum super champ

Fish basted with red curry paste over sesame and ginger rice vermicelli with steamed Asian greens on the side. Mango sorbet with fresh lychees to follow

Likes (0)

#21427 Sat 29 Dec 12 11:48am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Fried Sea bass - Jamie-style.  Accompanied by creamy mashed spuds and sweet corn.

Likes (0)

#21428 Sun 30 Dec 12 12:34am

ambie

Occupation Busy mum
From Wiltshire
Member since Wed 26 Dec 12

That all sounds lovely! We are STILL Using up leftover turkey.....It was turkey pasties on the menu tonight!

Likes (0)

#21429 Sun 30 Dec 12 12:37am

Maree

Forum super champ

smile

Likes (0)

#21430 Sun 30 Dec 12 6:18am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

cohphanta wrote:

They are awesome aren't  they?

You could also use andouille sausage if you can get it.  Sometimes I leave that out completely and just use the shrimp.

Is it a cream sauce recipe or a tomato?

It was a cream sauce although I ended up using 10% with a splash of heavy cream  instead of  straight up heavy cream.  It was a spin on a Paula Deen recipe my wife wanted to try.

The grits  are a pretty plain canvas even with a bit of cheese, the shrimp was very tasty but  has an almost overwhelming richness.  combined together though, and it is awesome and very moreish.
yummy  yummy

My wife hired her indian friend to cook us a meal tonight for my birthday.  Awesome meal,

kerala style  egg roast curry
flatbreads
veg biryani
beef coconut curry
aloo gobi
bell pepper raita
yummy  yummy

It capped off a very  good  food day... my mom  had taken us out for lunch earlier  to a new place in town that does 90 sec woodfired pizza.   I had a pizzetta with san marzano tomato,sopressata salami,fior di latte  and small bowl of  wild mushroom soup.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)