Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 30 Dec 12 2:57pm

Halesowenmum

Occupation Boring poorly-paying admin role
From West Midlands
Member since Sun 30 Dec 12

Has anyone tried Jamie's stuffing under the skin roast turkey recipe?

Hi all. Having our turkey tomorrow (New Year's Eve) and wondered if anyone had tried the stuffing the stuffing under the breast skin - did you feel it worked to keep the breast nice and moist whilst you wait for the legs to cook through??  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 31 Dec 12 4:52am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Has anyone tried Jamie's stuffing under the skin roast turkey recipe?

Welcome to the forum Halesowenmum  big_smile

I have to be honest and say that it would never of our to me to put the turkey stuffing under the turkey breast .
What I do is season some butter with a little salt and pepper ( I use unsalted butter ) and then I press that under the turkey breast skin .
I then lattice the breast meat with streaky bacon.

I cook the turkey in like a foil tent so that it self baste's and before the turkey is wrapped in the foil I always tuck a protective fold of foil ( folded in half then half again ) loosely over the turkey legs and more over the turkey wings to help prevent them overcooking and drying out. )

I put a picture on my blog page of the turkey before and after it was cooked .

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 31 Dec 12 10:47am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've done chicken with the stuffing under the breast skin and it turned out well. I've seen several recipes like this, I don't think this is unique to Jamie. Turkey breast tends to be dry and can use all the help it can get, so go for it, I say.

eta: Ms. F Cradock did hers with bacon and mushrooms stuffed under the breast skin. I've been watching her Christmas series on YouTube and have been vastly entertained. Why did I never think of dyeing brandy butter green and studding it with angelica? It's genius, I tell you.

Last edited by hippytea (Mon 31 Dec 12 10:49am)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 31 Dec 12 2:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I know I am vegetariian but dry turkey breast meat is something that my faimly never complain about , I have know the wa that I cook the turkey in its foil tent retains the moisture in the bird and even when I was  chopping it to make the pie and after it being cold meat and fridge stored for a couple of days I was aware of it beng moist and not at all dry.
( it made a great pie, but the nly problem was that there was not enough left and I had to bulk it up with some ham ! )

We were just talking about Fany Craddock this orning and how I remember her cooking in 'posh frocks' and then there was the ever faithful Johnny always there to run about for her .. great entertainment .

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 31 Dec 12 3:14pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I want to try this recipe and would love to hear how it works for you.   Adding fatty/salty/flavorful elements under the skin is a common method for making the meat juicy and flavorful.  Go for it! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 31 Dec 12 3:20pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Just remember to reweigh the Turkey after stuffing the neck cavity...as this will affect the total cooking time...

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 31 Dec 12 3:26pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I have never used JO's stuffing recipe, but I have for many years used my own stuffing recipes under the skin to protect the breast meat on bigger birds (Goose & Turkey) from over cooking. It always works for me not so much to prevent dryness, as to flavour the otherwise fairly bland breastmeat.
I like crispy skin & ungreasy meat so placing the stuffing thus works wonderfully, the fat keeps the stuffing moist, the skin goes crispy without overcooking the meat.
Win-win all round.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 31 Dec 12 5:03pm

Halesowenmum

Occupation Boring poorly-paying admin role
From West Midlands
Member since Sun 30 Dec 12

Thanks one and all. It did indeed work well. I used the meat from some cumberland sausages, onion, sage, thyme, zest of four lemons and lardons. It was lovely. BUT, the kids wouldn't touch it (philistines..) so putting it directly under the skin was a bit of a waste although I thought that the meat then stuffing then skin then crispy bacon, was absolutely lovely!!

I think though, on balance, I prefer just stuffing lots of herbs and butter under the skin.

Anyway, I've just had me lunch and I'm totally totally stuffed (topical eh) and must now sit and watch The Sound of Music to try and recover. I smell like a ball of grease (one of the only things I hate about cooking - smelling like what I've just made!!).  roll  smile

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 31 Dec 12 5:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Dont worry about the children not eating it there was probably plenty of other things for them to eat anyway and I am sure they will eat some at sometime !

Good to know that it worked well , did the flavour of the sausage become dominat with the meat of the turkey ?
I always cook the sausage meat stuffing seperatly to the turkey.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 31 Dec 12 6:00pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Halesowenmum wrote:

must now sit and watch The Sound of Music )

After me...

DOE-- A DEER A FEMALE DEER
RAY-- A DROP OF GOLDEN SUN
ME-- A NAME I CALL MYSELF
FAR-- A LONG LONG WAY TO RUN
SEW-- A NEEDLE PULLING THREAD
LA-- A NOTE TO FOLLOW SEW
TEA-- A DRINK WITH JAM AND BREAD
THAT WILL BRING US BACK TO DO... oh oh oh

DOE-- A DEER A FEMALE DEER
RAY-- A DROP OF GOLDEN SUN
ME-- A NAME I CALL MYSELF