forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 30 Dec 12 4:01pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Re: Unsalted butter and a pinch of salt - why?

.......I once read the ingredients of a supermarkets own brand of salted and unsalted butter. The salted butter had 2% salt and the unsalted butter had 3% salt.......honest......It may have been LIDL but I'm not 100% sure.

Terry

Likes (0)

#12 Sun 30 Dec 12 6:06pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Do you know, Terry, I've never even checked mine.  Always use unsalted for baking but I like salty butter on everything else.  Made butter a couple of days ago and put plenty of salt in it.  I shall check any packs of butter in future.  Thanks.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 31 Dec 12 3:48pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I never have salted butter in the house, although I was brought up to it.

Like reducing sugar, I found that getting used to things 'unsalted' took only a matter of time. Now I find salted butter on toast or in sandwiches unbearable (& for me it is the quickest way to ruin a scone)............as others have said to add your own seasoning is to be in control, to allow others to to it for me is now a step too far.
When staying with other people I tend to take my own supply, but it is astonishing how many people end up helping themselves!

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 31 Dec 12 3:50pm

minerva

Forum champ

cannyfradock wrote:

.......I once read the ingredients of a supermarkets own brand of salted and unsalted butter. The salted butter had 2% salt and the unsalted butter had 3% salt.......honest...

Then it shouldn't be sold as 'unsalted'..........since clearly that breaks Trades Descriptions.............Trading Standards Officers should be informed.

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 31 Dec 12 9:42pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Try Normandy butters, they are the best, don't know why, just ask Kye. We have the best dairy in the world along with cheese. Alas not the best butter.  Let me know, if you know otherwise.
I had a good one from the new forest once; I never saw it again despite badgering the shop to get it again.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 31 Dec 12 9:47pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I live on the edge of the New Forest....let me know what exactly you are looking for....Chances are I'll find it...even if it is seasonal...

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 01 Jan 13 11:56am

minerva

Forum champ

@nGoose1 wrote:

Try Normandy butters, they are the best, don't know why, just ask Kye. We have the best dairy in the world along with cheese. Alas not the best butter.  Let me know, if you know otherwise.

I like my 'Farmhouse Cornish' (local, unsalted) made from the milk from local cattle...........up here in the Midlands, 'Farmhouse'-anything is harder (though not impossible) to find.
It IS possible to find very good butter in England but you do have to do the 'legwork' locally to find it.

If more people make the effort to eat better food, producers will have a more reliable market & will produce more.........if people prefer factory-produced & the Pffft-approach to food sourcing, then artisan foods will always struggle to make headway here.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 01 Jan 13 1:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

@nGoose1 wrote:

I had a good one from the new forest once; I never saw it again despite badgering the shop to get it again.

Owch goose .. You often say we don't have the best this or that !

You live in Cornwall I think .. I happen to know there is some realy good artisan butter in Cornwall as we get given it .
It's from a small producer , look up cansford farm on the Internet , they have a herd if jersey cows and they also make clotted cream by a traditional method (far  better clotted cream than from the mass produced firm you see in the supermarkets ) .

You can get decent eggs from there also .

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 01 Jan 13 8:48pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I like our butter. We get Graham's Dairy butter. I saw Jamie using it on an episode of Jamie's Great Britain, so it must be pukka.

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 02 Jan 13 12:24am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Will seek Grahams Dairy.  Gordon Ramsay uses Normandy butters, to echo my view on them being the best. Will also look up Cansford Farm.

Likes (0)