Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 Jan 13 8:43am

wildmum

Member since Tue 01 Jan 13

Food on the run

Hi all,
I am new to the forum but figured if anyone can give me some ideas, its the people who have saved my bacon with 30 min and 15 min meals.  With three really active kids (twins 10, boy 12) I find that we have an activity to be at every night and weekends.  While the 15 and 30 min meals are awesome, if I can get them together for that long, I find that a lot is hard to put aside for the missing family members for later.  I was hoping that you guys may have some ideas for things that can be put aside for an hour or so and quickly reheated but still retain the taste.
Hope you can help as there is always one who has a whinge that they missed out on the really good stuff.
Cheers
the wildmum.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 03 Jan 13 10:43am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Food on the run

Most stews, curries and mince dishes respond really well to reheating. Same for soups.

If you have a slow cooker, you can just serve up some of the contents and leave the rest cooking on Low or on Keep Warm for an hour or two and it will not make much difference (that's what I do when I have erratic mealtimes or people eating in shifts). You can do the same in the oven or stovetop by putting the dish on a very low heat once it's done and keeping it covered - that way the latecomer can have their hot meal right away when they come. Only do this with wet dishes with lots of gravy or sauce; dry dishes will dry out.

I personally love re-baked potatoes - bake them the first time then sit them aside wrapped in a tea-towel, and you can give them another blast in the oven to get them back up to heat. If you're keeping them for longer than an hour or two, better to let them cool completely, refrigerate them then bake them a second time (which should only take half to three-quarters of an hour).

Things to avoid: chips (fries); roast potatoes or veg; anything dry in the oven (say a roast chicken, fish cakes, chicken pieces) as it will dry out and will not re-heat well; pasta (apart from oven-baked dishes like lasagne, but re-heat these, don't keep them warm or the pasta will disintegrate); boiled or steamed veg (better to steam on demand - if you use frozen veg, or else blanch fresh veg and cool it in running water, then you can steam it in the microwave in 2-3 minutes per portion, in a covered dish with a splash of water in the bottom); rice dishes (like pasta, will disintegrate if kept warm and difficult to re-heat safely); anything fiddly or delicate; anything containing milk, yoghurt or creme fraiche (can curdle if cooked too long or if re-heated); anything with a white sauce unless it's topped with cheese or breadcrumbs, as that will stop a skin forming; anything containing fish, as it overcooks very easily.

You can do a roast chicken with bread and salad, though, and the latecomers can have it cold, which is still a great meal. Avoid the usual roast trimmings, as they don't keep warm or re-heat well.

Hope that helps a bit!

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 03 Jan 13 10:45am)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 04 Jan 13 12:26am

wildmum

Member since Tue 01 Jan 13

Thanks hippytea,
I do use the slow cooker in winter and I love your potato idea (so do the kids).  I'm in Oz and its 41c here today so I do try to keep a range of salads in the fridge but often they go soggy.  Think I might just have to revisit my storage of individually chopped fruit and veg that they can take out and just throw together in any combination they want.
Thanks again for all your help, some great ideas and I will definitely use them this winter.
Cheers

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 04 Jan 13 7:15am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Wildmum, my best tip with salads would be to keep the dressing separate and let everyone add some dressing to their own when they get to eat. smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 04 Jan 13 10:52pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Ooh, I didn't realise cold food was an option. Rice salads, pasta salads, potato salads, and like you say, bits and bobs of fruit, veg, cold meat and cheese which people can combine in any way they want.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 05 Jan 13 4:02pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

JoyYamDaisy.  In the UK we call a salad (or anything else) without a dressing, 'naked'.  Hubby likes his salad naked  lol cos he hates olive oil.

Likes (0)