forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#681 Fri 04 Jan 13 8:26pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Rayneysdad: what are you cooking for her just now?

When my daughter was little I had a fairly small range of things I'd make for lunch, which included:

- cheesy rice (rice cooked with stock and vegetables, with an egg stirred in at the end and cheese on top)
- mini pizzas (halved English muffins topped with a mix of tomato puree and ketchup, grated cheese, other toppings like diced peppers and sliced sausages and grilled)
- scrambled egg and toast
- mashed boiled egg with noodles (I don't know why this combination, but it's become traditional!)
- sausages or hot dogs and beans
- nibbly plate of oatcakes, crackers, toast, bits of cheese, sliced peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, grapes raisins etc. etc. This is one of her favourite lunches. I let her have ketchup to dip things in.
- tomato soup (I just use passata with a pinch of salt and sugar, sometimes crushed garlic; it's cheaper than tinned soup and healthier too!)

Now, when it comes to tea time (evening meal), we made a policy of just cooking what I and Mr. Hippytea wants to eat and putting a little plate of the same thing in front of Mini Hippytea, along with some bread and butter. I tried my hardest not to make a deal about whether she ate it or not, or whether she just ate the bread and butter, making it her time to get familiar with a bigger range of food. I felt it was important to do this, and not to get too worried if she did not eat what was put in front of her - if she didn't eat enough, she could make it up the next day.

She has just turned four. I still stick with a fairly limited range at lunch time, as these are things I can cook quickly and I know she likes; and we still have the same policy at tea time, although now it is a rule that she must try a bite of anything new. Different approaches for different stages.

I hope that helps, maybe might give you some ideas.

Last edited by hippytea (Fri 04 Jan 13 8:27pm)

Likes (0)

#682 Sat 05 Jan 13 1:39pm

amcrouth

Member since Thu 03 Jan 13

My husband is a coeliac and obviously cannot have any ingredient that contains gluten.  I have learned to substitute gluten free products in the recipes, however, HP Sauce has wheat and barley as ingredients and I would really like to know if there is a substitute I can use.  I am Australian by the way.
Regards,
Marie. crossed  big_smile

Likes (0)

#683 Sun 06 Jan 13 7:54pm

mona.lisane.5

Member since Sun 06 Jan 13

Now Jamie...

you have no idea how much I learned from the youtube cooking videos from you and the other well known chef in the UK...I was always useless in getting the sauce done for lasagne but finally learned it instantly due to such videos from you awesome chefs out there...BUT there is no recipe from either of you regarding doing basic cabbage soup....you know....some of us work on our lifelong mission to avoid the chocolate and eat more of the healthy stuff...and their is just no instruction from either of you two...and I am pretty confident that this would be helpful for more than just for me...

So I hope that one day you might be able to cook for us a delicious healthy cabbage soup....a basic one...not with bread and massive leaves in it...

Beside that...all the best for you and your family for 2013   smile

Likes (0)

#684 Sun 06 Jan 13 7:59pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

mona.lisane.5 wrote:

Now Jamie...

So I hope that one day you might be able to cook for us a delicious healthy cabbage soup....a basic one...not with bread and massive leaves in it...

Beside that...all the best for you and your family for 2013   smile

I hope you realise some of the side affects of cabbage soup.....

Paaaaaaaaaaaaarppppppppp whistle

Likes (0)

#685 Sun 06 Jan 13 10:01pm

hema3033

Member since Sat 10 Nov 12

I am working my way through 15MM - wow! was there life before this book! I have now bought 30MM but not yet tried anything from it.
My question is more a request - please please would you consider making a dvd of the tv shows of each of these books. I for one could not put a price on how valuable this would be to me.
Some recipes seem intimidating, but if I watch you cook it before I begin, it feels like a doddle!
Thank you

Likes (0)

#686 Sun 06 Jan 13 11:03pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

hema3033 wrote:

I am working my way through 15MM - wow! was there life before this book! I have now bought 30MM but not yet tried anything from it.
My question is more a request - please please would you consider making a dvd of the tv shows of each of these books. I for one could not put a price on how valuable this would be to me.
Some recipes seem intimidating, but if I watch you cook it before I begin, it feels like a doddle!
Thank you

Hi Hema, During the rush prior to Christmas, I noticed DVDs for 30MM at my local mega electronic store.

I live in Australia. Not sure where you live. Keep a watchful eye and/or try Amazon or similar stores online.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#687 Mon 07 Jan 13 12:21am

Shunterbob

Member since Sun 06 Jan 13

Hi
I am part of the clipper world yacht race and would  like to be able to make biscuits and cakes on a limited budget and ingredients  ideally it is used as a pick me up to get the crew motivated when the going gets tough on cold wet windy nights

Bob

Likes (0)

#688 Mon 07 Jan 13 12:38am

gwenda.vayro

Member since Sat 05 Jan 13

How the H_ll! did you flip that Christmas waffle??? yummy Adore the recpie.... I made it for all my lovely relations at Christmas and it was totally to die for...they were blown away.....but we had to cut it into 4 triangles to flip it.  HELP PLEASE!

Gwenda from Australia

Likes (0)

#689 Mon 07 Jan 13 10:19am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I used my 27 year old electric waffle maker. Wouldn't have tried to flip it because my grill pan is too heavy.

Halved the recipe (Thank you, Joy xx) as a test run. Worked brilliantly.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#690 Mon 07 Jan 13 3:27pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Hi Shunterbob!

Basic sponge cake: 2 or 3 eggs plus their weight in butter, sugar and self-raising flour. So 4 ingredients, equal weight of each. Plus a pinch of salt.

Mash the sugar into the butter and whip with a fork until it looks light and fluffy. Then mix in eggs and flour, a bit at a time is best, and the salt.

Bake 180C until it springs back when you touch it and a skewer/knife comes out clean. Don't open the oven for the first 20 minutes or it'll sink. Cooking time depends on size and shape.

That's your basic cake, so you can add cocoa powder, honey, fruit choc chips, whatever you have,or leave it plain. It works as a round cake, as a loaf or as cupcakes.

Hope that helps. I'm not a biscuit expert but biscuits are basically pretty simple, so I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Likes (0)