Subscribe to forums RSS

#741 Sun 13 Jan 13 3:10pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Barm Cakes
Being a southerner, I need to know if they're similar to our baps?  Understand the Barms are larger than baps.
What I'd like to know is, can I make the dough for these so-called famous barm cakes in my breadmaker and if so I'd like a recipe, please.
There's a challenge for someone big_smile
Hubby is from the north and cries out for Wigan Potato pies and Barm cakes.  I can handle the first item.
In anticipation, ta muchly.

Likes (0)

#742 Sun 13 Jan 13 7:47pm

studentchef08

Member since Sun 13 Jan 13

I know valentines day is next month but I want to start thinking of ideas. My boyfriend is visiting me at uni for the weekend and I want to cook him a nice romantic meal. I'm stuck on what to cook him as I live by the sea so the obvious thing to cook is fish but he hates fish. He quiet likes lamb and Italian food. Any suggestions of a menu?

Thanks!!

Last edited by studentchef08 (Sun 13 Jan 13 7:50pm)

Likes (0)

#743 Sun 13 Jan 13 7:55pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Dump him...he doesn't like fish..

or Lamb shanks, Slooooow cooked in red wine and rosemary...

Likes (0)

#744 Sun 13 Jan 13 8:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

wine~o wrote:

Dump him...he doesn't like fish..

Harsh wine-o ... Harsh !

But I agree slow cooked lamb shanks could be a winner

Likes (0)

#745 Mon 14 Jan 13 2:01am

mudpyz

Member since Mon 14 Jan 13

hi - after 30 mumble years of marriage to the same guy - i am finding his taste buds to be - i guess - rather boring - he is terrified of - chillies - zucchini - chicken of any kind - snow peas - broccoli - mushrooms - any form of fresh herbs - even dried herbs - fennel - pumpkin - vinegarettes of any kind - home made mayo - garlic - shallots - nasturtiums - the list can go on and on and onnnnn - how do you educate a males palette to be adventurous - i am at the point of giving up trying to keep him healthy - all he wants is fried fried fried and the revolting pink slime that is passed of as minced meat - steak which can be expensive frozen peas and boiled potatoes - dont even put the melted butter and mint on them - thats classed as weird food now or as he often puts it foreign muck - any ideas out there????????

Likes (0)

#746 Mon 14 Jan 13 2:30am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Divorce?

Seriously, he does seem to have a limited palate, doesn't he? Do you have to eat as he does?

Have you tried sneaking vegetables into his food as I did withy kids? What about fish? Pasta? Rice? Start off "gentle" and gradually kick it up a notch.

Sorry, I've not been much help:/.

Welcome to the forums wave

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#747 Mon 14 Jan 13 8:32pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

At the end of the day, you can't educate his palate. That's up to him. You can lead a husband to interesting food, but you can't make him eat it.

I suppose you could cook interesting food for yourself and give him his plate with just the plain bits? But cooking two meals is a lot of work. To be honest, if he really is that fussy, I'd tell him to cook his own food. I do make allowances for Mr. Hippytea's preferences, and he for mine, but if either of us was as picky as that, I think the other would be justified in drawing a line.

At the end of the day, if someone else is doing you the honour of cooking for you, you should eat what's put in front of you, or at least pick out the bits you don't like without complaining. It's simple manners.

Oh, and I just have to say that the thing about "educating a male's palate" is unfair. Fussy people are fussy people whatever the gender.

Likes (0)

#748 Tue 15 Jan 13 7:09pm

thompi

Member since Mon 14 Jan 13

Hello Jamie.

I'm a big fan and I love your passion for cooking real food.
When your show is on TV, I watch it. You an inspiration.

I have one question:
Are you Fat Scared??

I saw you cooking on TV where you use fat free yoghurt in a tartar sauce. Why?
I'm sorry to say but I think you have gained some weight and as most of us, you probably blame the fat.
I was scared of fat before. I replaced real butter with margarine, used all sorts of low fat products and the result was weight gain.
I have been eating according to LCHF for 2 months now with a weight loss of 7kg, even without exercise.
Now I eat until I'm full on "Real" food staying away from sugar, bread, light products and still I can loose weight.

Jamie, please give this a chance!

Best Regards,
Thomas big_smile

Likes (0)

#749 Tue 15 Jan 13 7:25pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Accurately boiled rice.
In JO's 30-minute meal series he demonstrated how he does boiled rice without bringing a pan of water to the boil, adding the rice leave to simmer for about 12 mins.  Does anyone have that recipe, ie how much water to rice, please?

Likes (0)

#750 Tue 15 Jan 13 8:13pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Thistledo..I'm fairly certain it was was "cup for cup" equal quantities by volume of rice and water..

Likes (0)