Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 15 Jan 13 9:56pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: ok spam bots, I surrender

Happy to see you are still with us all, Wine~O!  big_smile

What-on-Earth do these people/spammers get from posting stuff/spam?? I don't read it or click onto their links either - they are just wasting their time & everyones too, sadly....

I love, Jamie's Forum & all you lovely guys & gals, too!  cool  thumbsup

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Tue 15 Jan 13 9:57pm)

Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)

#22 Tue 15 Jan 13 10:15pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Too much time on their hands ???

Dunno, Kris.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#23 Wed 16 Jan 13 3:17am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Merlin, I am so very sorry you have to deal with this crazy spam situation.  I hope everyone can be patient and supportive through this time.

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 16 Jan 13 4:18pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Ashen wrote:

lol....  Don't Panic and make sure you know where your towel is.

So....
......the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, was a 'Jamie's Italian'????
Makes a lot of sense!

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 16 Jan 13 4:45pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

MsPablo wrote:

Merlin, I am so very sorry you have to deal with this crazy spam situation.  I hope everyone can be patient and supportive through this time.

Nothing to apologise for, except perhaps on our end! I'd like to let everyone know we've implemented a couple of new systems that should keep spammers at bay. Any popping up now were more than likely already signed up before this week.

I/we appreciate your support and patience a great deal. Thank you!

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 16 Jan 13 6:11pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 16 Jan 13 9:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Merlin wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

Nothing to apologise for, except perhaps on our end! I'd like to let everyone know we've implemented a couple of new systems that should keep spammers at bay. Any popping up now were more than likely already signed up before this week.

Coming in to a new job and having the repeating spambot situation dumped on you is kind of a lot to take on in your first weeks, I would think, especially because it naturally causes the steadfast members to be highly critical of the way the site is run and that must feel like a lot of pressure on you for something that is basically out of your control, but also because the spambot situation causes an exodus of people who would potentially participate in this site.  The bottom line is how many hits does the site get, which probably includes the spambot activity, but in the long run, it causes people to avoid the site, IMO.

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 16 Jan 13 10:29pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

MsPablo wrote:

Merlin wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

Coming in to a new job and having the repeating spambot situation dumped on you is kind of a lot to take on in your first weeks, I would think, especially because it naturally causes the steadfast members to be highly critical of the way the site is run and that must feel like a lot of pressure on you for something that is basically out of your control, but also because the spambot situation causes an exodus of people who would potentially participate in this site.  The bottom line is how many hits does the site get, which probably includes the spambot activity, but in the long run, it causes people to avoid the site, IMO.

I admit that early last evening (my time), I posted a terse comment out of frustration that was tipped by a spammer.

I checked in later, the spammer's post had been deleted so I deleted my related post.

We've always had the occasional spammer/s but this spate recently has been unprecedented since I joined.

The question/s for me are "why?" and "why us?". Guess we'll never know hmm. Good that new measures have been implemented  thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#29 Wed 16 Jan 13 10:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I remember spates of the forum being awash with spam , not often but it did happen.
Thanks for sorting this out Merlin and Eric and all .

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 16 Jan 13 11:14pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

There's no mystery as to why and why us.  They advertise here because of the popularity of the site.  The more 'hit's' they get, the more money their advertising is worth.

Likes (0)