MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: ok spam bots, I surrender

MsPablo wrote:

Merlin wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

Merlin, I am so very sorry you have to deal with this crazy spam situation.  I hope everyone can be patient and supportive through this time.

Nothing to apologise for, except perhaps on our end! I'd like to let everyone know we've implemented a couple of new systems that should keep spammers at bay. Any popping up now were more than likely already signed up before this week.

I/we appreciate your support and patience a great deal. Thank you!

Coming in to a new job and having the repeating spambot situation dumped on you is kind of a lot to take on in your first weeks, I would think, especially because it naturally causes the steadfast members to be highly critical of the way the site is run and that must feel like a lot of pressure on you for something that is basically out of your control, but also because the spambot situation causes an exodus of people who would potentially participate in this site.  The bottom line is how many hits does the site get, which probably includes the spambot activity, but in the long run, it causes people to avoid the site, IMO.

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 17 Jan 13 12:49am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Maree wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

Merlin wrote:

I/we appreciate your support and patience a great deal. Thank you!

Coming in to a new job and having the repeating spambot situation dumped on you is kind of a lot to take on in your first weeks, I would think, especially because it naturally causes the steadfast members to be highly critical of the way the site is run and that must feel like a lot of pressure on you for something that is basically out of your control, but also because the spambot situation causes an exodus of people who would potentially participate in this site.  The bottom line is how many hits does the site get, which probably includes the spambot activity, but in the long run, it causes people to avoid the site, IMO.

I admit that early last evening (my time), I posted a terse comment out of frustration that was tipped by a spammer.

I checked in later, the spammer's post had been deleted so I deleted my related post.

We've always had the occasional spammer/s but this spate recently has been unprecedented since I joined.

The question/s for me are "why?" and "why us?". Guess we'll never know hmm. Good that new measures have been implemented  thumbsup

We do know why, it's about making money and advertising.   The more 'hits' they get, the more advertisers pay.

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 17 Jan 13 12:54am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

The spambot situation was much, much worse in the past.  In fact, I was surprised this onslaught wasn't worse.  In the past, 20 - 30 pages were filled with spambot posts in just a couple of hours

Likes (0)

#34 Thu 17 Jan 13 3:16am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

The one that " tipped me over the edge" yesterday evening had no links and was in "Chinese" characters. So they would have had no advertising mileage out of it.

Takes all sorts ...

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#35 Thu 17 Jan 13 4:00am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

They've been using Japanese, not Chinese writing.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 17 Jan 13 4:02am)

Likes (0)

#36 Thu 17 Jan 13 6:11am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

My mistake. I apologise.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#37 Sat 26 Jan 13 1:31am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Reported. 

Please respect our Forum & keep it spam-free. Thanks.

Edit: Just to elaborate from my previous comment back a pg or two...of course I'm aware "why", my comment was purely about how I see things - I don't see any point of people posting "stuff", as, I'm not interested & I hope other forumers/people browsing can't be bothered, too!...as I said before...total time wasters.

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Sat 26 Jan 13 1:38am)

Likes (0)

#38 Sat 26 Jan 13 10:19am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

I joined another forum at the same time as joining this one.  Another well known cook.  Never seen any spam, as such, getting into that forum.  Strange innit?

Likes (0)

#39 Sat 26 Jan 13 10:45am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No I don't think it's strange..  when settings, formats  etc are altered its bound to create a few windows of oprtunity for spammers .
The difficulty this time was that a lot of the spam seemed to have occurred over the weekends when there is no one in the office.

I have seen it a great deal worse than happened here recently , it seems to happen every so often . Technology for offices and technology for spammers seems to be in constant battle.

Likes (0)

#40 Sat 26 Jan 13 10:50am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

not really..   jamieoliver.com  has a by far higher Alexa rating than any other chef  website on the net.   that being the case it will be a much bigger target for spammers

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)