Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 11 Jan 13 8:53am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

ITV Food site closed - save your recipes now!

As Thistledo posted on the Food Questions thread, the ITV Food website has suddenly disappeared.

The Google caches of the recipes are still there, but they will not be there long, as Google will soon catch up to itself. So if there is a recipe you want to save, here's what to do:

Google the recipe title

When the search result comes up, instead of clicking the main link, click the "cached" link just underneath it.

Copy and paste the recipe. You may find this easier if you click "text only" first.

Hope this may help some people. I wonder why the site's closed suddenly?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 11 Jan 13 10:13am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: ITV Food site closed - save your recipes now!

Many, many thanks Hippytea.  BUT when I google, there is no facility for 'caching'.  Can you advise further please.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:37pm

hippytea

From Scotland

When your search result comes up, there should be a big main link (blue), then underneath it, in smaller letters, the web address (green). To the right of the web address, it may have the word "cached" in blue letters. If it does, click on that and you will be taken to Google's saved copy of the page.

If the word "cached" does not appear, it means Google either never bothered to save a copy (because it doesn't always - you were lucky), or it has deleted it.

If the original page is deleted, it will still appear in searches at first, and the cache will persist for a little while, but as soon as Google realises the page has gone, it will take it out of its search index and delete the cache. Sometimes it's slow to catch up, sometimes surprisingly quick - hence why I posted this message, so there would be a chance some of the recipes could be saved.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 11 Jan 13 12:42pm

Thistledo

And saved it you did, for which I am most grateful.  Very interesting information in your latest post Hippytea.  Thanks.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 11 Jan 13 4:44pm

BakingSocial.c

Member since Fri 11 Jan 13

I guess they can't keep up with the BBC recipes sites and other competition. shame though

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:30am

hippytea

From Scotland

I can't help wondering if there's been some sort of legal dispute, given how rapidly the site disappeared. The food sections of TV channel websites must get some of the highest traffic of all, it seems very odd that they would just pull the plug unless there was an urgent reason for it.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 13 Jan 13 11:42am

Thistledo

I'm in communication with the appropriate ITV site.  Waiting for a response.  Very annoying and a complete mystery.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 17 Jan 13 1:08pm

Thistledo

I've now received a response from ITV

"Thank you for contacting ITV.

In order to associate the recipe content more with the shows in which they feature, the majority of the recipes can be found in the Food section of the related show, for example, Lorraine, This Morning, etc.

At this time there are no plans to bring back the ITV Food website.

We apologise for any inconvenience which may have been caused."

Hope this helps anyone who's interested.  Now you know as much as I do.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:21pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Oh. That makes some sense. But why doesn't it say that on the ITV Food page, rather than just saying "sorry for any inconvenience"?

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 18 Jan 13 7:08am

Thistledo

Hippytea.  I think they wanted to sneak out of the back door without anyone noticing.  To say that the site is closed is somewhat open ended.  They should have said 'closed indefinitely'.

Likes (0)