forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Fri 18 Jan 13 11:37am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Tesco "Value range" Beef burgers....

Today, fast food giant Burger King revealed it uses same supplier
However, Burger King said its meat has not been affected

Likes (0)

#42 Fri 18 Jan 13 3:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

one of the awful parts of this scandle is the sheer waste of food that there horses in beef nurgers have caused .
When we ive in a world of so many people that are starving it does not seem right just to waste these beef/horse burgers .

Last edited by mummza (Fri 18 Jan 13 3:53pm)

Likes (0)

#43 Fri 18 Jan 13 4:12pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Is there no law in effect for selling only 'inspected' meats?  The horse part of the burger must not have been inspected and could be unsafe to consume.  Why add horse unless there was some reason like the horse died of disease or was sick or something of that nature?

Likes (0)

#44 Fri 18 Jan 13 4:39pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

MsP it "seems" that mixed meat for mince came from a European slaughterhouse(s?) and since there are people that eat horse meat it's probably reared for human consumption. Not ole hag destined for the glue factory type thing.

Mumz I bet the company has requested that the patties in question be returned so they can export them to a country that can enjoy them knowingly ;P.

More interesting is that the powers that be controllin' let the public consume the stuff for a month and a half! yummy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … e-DNA.html

"Government scientists in Ireland, where many were produced, found horse DNA in late November, but took until January 11 to step in as they wanted to have three positive rounds of tests."

Likes (0)

#45 Fri 18 Jan 13 10:20pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Can someone provide links to reliable information?  It's a bunch of 'we're sorry' and 'it's perfectly safe' from Tesco.  Who produced it and where and was the meat inspected before being added to food?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01 … _hp_ref=uk

Considering the very dire consequences of allowing unsafe meat products in to the food chain and the impact it has had in the past on meat industry in Britain and Europe, I would think this is a major issue.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 18 Jan 13 10:21pm)

Likes (0)

#46 Sat 19 Jan 13 12:11am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Check out their Kippers! a sorry state of affairs!

Likes (0)

#47 Sat 19 Jan 13 3:22am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

It's such a hot topic there are so many stories it's hard to pin down a good source.

"..it could be from diseased or injured animals, for example." in the huffington link is just reporters doing their thing....sensationalism. If it bleeds it leads.

interesting stuff.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … mpany.html

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2013/01/18/burge … PoBU2fhfTo

"A well-hung horse rump is a fine thing, and makes a magnificent carpaccio. Good stewing from other parts like shin. And once you have a horseburger you'll never go back... "
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/103898-horse-meat/

Likes (0)

#48 Sat 19 Jan 13 3:42am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I know people that used to think it is strange that I grind cuts of beef and make my own hamburger patties.  In light of this and the whole pink slime debacle, they are starting to see things differently.  Besides being sure of what is in it, it just tastes so much better.  yummy  yummy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#49 Sat 19 Jan 13 3:57am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Not at all strange.  We can get very nice grass-fed ground beef, some of it locally produced in Va. which is being produced at a high cost and low profit by a rich person with a cause, hope she never stops, but sure it'll change eventually.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 19 Jan 13 3:57am)

Likes (0)

#50 Sat 19 Jan 13 12:16pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

"A well-hung horse rump is a fine thing, and makes a magnificent carpaccio. Good stewing from other parts like shin. And once you have a horseburger you'll never go back... "
Well hung, not in tesco's
their meat has more water in it than the Thames,they are selling us water.
Our Beef is also right on up there Dartmoors finest Red.
I also  like to know what the cuts are for my burgers. That said our mincer has packed up. So no burgers for a while.

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Sat 19 Jan 13 12:18pm)

Likes (0)