Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 12 Jan 13 1:20am

Biomech

Member since Sat 12 Jan 13

Those **** Dim Sum buns

I got the 15MM book for Christmas and it's great. Not only because it's straight forward and quick, but because it's designed to be fast it means I can take my time in the kitchen (usually take 30 mins) smile

Anyway, I just tried the Dim Sum page. Everything went well, bought the bamboo steamer yesterday and it's great.

The trouble is, like most recipes, I have no frame of reference. And I don't like plants/veg/fruit etc, so I don't know if things come out the correct way.

So the coconut buns - I'm pretty sure they are wrong. I mixed a carton of coconut UHT milk (all they had in the shop) and flour in a bowl with a fork - it was fine. The consitency was great, it was doughy and shapable.

But when I steamed them, they came out grey, glazed looking and really really dense, like dense dumplings. They tasted pretty bland too. Are they suppose to be like dumplings or more like bread rolls? (I can take a photo if you like!) Is there something I should add to make them puff up?

Is there a video anywhere where I can see them in action and what they are supposed to be like?

TIA

Last edited by Biomech (Sat 12 Jan 13 1:23am)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 19 Jan 13 12:33am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: Those **** Dim Sum buns

Not sure how they should be. I saw Jamie make them on T.V. they looked pretty white. Yum Bun (Kerb Street Vendor) does a steamed bun with Chinese pork, very nice also I have had something called Char Su (I think that was its name).   I am looking forward to trying these. I will post when I do.
Jamie used low fat coconut, not sure if that makes a difference, it could well do.

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Sat 19 Jan 13 12:34am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 19 Jan 13 3:34am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 23 Feb 13 12:34am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Just watched Ching-He Huang steaming buns, hers were made by the restaurant or ready made from an Asian shop. A trip to an Asian supermarket, is on the cards, this may lead you to some answers. I am keen to get a steamer as the filled buns on Chinese made Easy looked awesome. Playing around with fillings could be fun. I ate at Yum Bun, they were also very nice. I really hope Jamies ones are as good as they sound. Everything else I have cooked from Jamie has been amazing.

Likes (0)