Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 07 Jan 13 3:48pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

what to do on my Dehydrator

My hubby bought me a dehyadrator for christmas - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008MPBK8G

I have tried some fruit on it - Bananas, apples, plums all ok took about 8 hours and although nice to eat they didn't go crisp did they need longer ??

I would also love to do leathers put I don't think I can the holes on the trays are quiet large, looking on google you can buy a paraflexx sheets, but can i use these on this machine ??.

Any / all help please - I am so wanting to play with my new toy, but clueless  shocked

Gem

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 09 Jan 13 6:57pm

Batdragon

Member since Mon 07 Jan 13

Re: what to do on my Dehydrator

Though I have never used a dehydrator for food (only an industrial machine for getting the moisture out of components) I would not of thought that it would make the fruit crisp, to do that you would have to bake or something, after the dehydration.

The only thing that I can think to use it for is to basically preserve things that would normally go off. you could try meats if your like that, or you could try dehydrating ingrediance to put into jars so that you can use them later in cooking?

Perhaps someone that has actually used one would like to speak up on what they used theirs for  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 19 Jan 13 6:31pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

DKfootycoach was an avid user and even made dried vegs/soup mixes.

all sorts of fruits would work well - for snacking - apple and banana slices and for adding to salads and baking - dried cherries, cranberries

mushrooms - a nice way to preserve the expensive wild ones when they are in season and they have more intense flavor when dried.

tomatoes - would be a good cheap alternative to buying sun-dried tomatoes.

I have made my own semi-dried strawberries in the oven.  I got the idea from a torrone bar studded with them in France that was delicious.  Mine worked out great.

Enjoy your gift!  I'm sure you'll find lots of uses when the fruits are in season in summer.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 19 Jan 13 6:47pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Earthmum wrote:

My hubby bought me a dehyadrator for christmas - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008MPBK8G

Gem

That's romantic....

I'd be looking for a divorce.... lol

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 19 Jan 13 7:08pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I had one years ago. I made fruit leather in it. I'd just put cling wrap down over the tray then the pureed fruit.  It was ok.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 20 Jan 13 12:06am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

wine~o wrote:

Earthmum wrote:

Gem

That's romantic....

I'd be looking for a divorce.... lol

Me, too big_smile. Sorry, can't help with the dehydrator hmm.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Sun 20 Jan 13 9:16am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

How about some "raw" pizza!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EivDYv4caU

Looks like it takes only a couple of days  tongue

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 20 Jan 13 7:22pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I have a dehydrator languishing in the cupboard.  I tired it once at the end of the summer, but just haven't really had the time or inclination to get to grips with it yet  oops

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 21 Jan 13 12:13am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Heston loves the dehydrator; his uses of it looked cool. I am no help I am afraid.
Mushrooms perhaps?

Likes (0)